372 Heavy Duty Felling Dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the bigger stock dogs on my bigger Huskies and really like them, but one thing I don't like about the 3120 is that the position of the upper spike and the brake is such that the saw will not pivot as far as I think it should before the brake hits the tree. Annoys me when I have to take another bite so quick -- I think the top couple spikes should be longer, especially the top spike. The 880 is much better in that regard,much more clearance.

As far as I know, there is only one size OEM dogs on the 3120.

I know the 7900 takes flack for it's odd looking dogs, but I find they work really well for me with a 28 inch bar. I don't think I'd change a thing with them.

Last edited:
Ok stupid question, what dogs does the 390xp come with?, I have a 390xp on order, it should be here in a week or so.

Ok stupid question, what dogs does the 390xp come with?, I have a 390xp on order, it should be here in a week or so.

They are pretty small really. You'll likely want some like these, or maybe even the pro safety dogs from Bailey's. The 5 pointers are huge!

They are pretty small really. You'll likely want some like these, or maybe even the pro safety dogs from Bailey's. The 5 pointers are huge!

I think the dogs originally shown in the thread are perfect. The largest aftermaket dogs IMO are too big to be versatile on a saw in this class.

Kind of macho looking, but you give up too much.

btw, I added a 357 dog on my last stihl order for my 346.

I think the dogs originally shown in the thread are perfect. The largest aftermaket dogs IMO are too big to be versatile on a saw in this class.

Kind of macho looking, but you give up too much.

btw, I added a 357 dog on my last stihl order for my 346.

Totally agree. I bought some of the pro safety dogs and since I usually use a 24-28" bar, they were not ideal for me. The Husky felling dogs were a much better fit.

Let us know if you like the bigger dog on your 346!

What part# for the Husky felling dogs that fit the 390xp?.

The ones mentioned in the beginning of this thread will fit after a very simple modification. There is a tab on the inside dog if I recall correctly. Grind it off with a dremel and you're good.

I highly recommend you pick up a set of these at these price while you can. The stock dogs are totally puney. These are a huge improvement to the saw, and for only $15!!. I got them from Baileys on a special. LINK. They are OEM as well.

530494385_e7BdR-M.jpg

530494375_g5Y6Z-M.jpg

Does anybody know what the difference is between the muffler for the 372 with the deflector on top or the factory port out of the side? Will a 288 deflector fit on top of the muffler with the tube out of the side? Looking to port a muffler for my 372.

Are those dogs the ones that come on the 372XPW?

not 100% sure.but yes,id say so.
to big imho,the big dogs and wrap handle both came off my new xpw upon purchase with normal handle and xp dogs.
all i wanted was the extra cc's for the few $ more.(had the handle bar from previous 362 anyway in excellent shape)
imho you don't want those big dogs unless your into some thick bark.otherwise a waste of bar length.
agree.they do look good tho.very tough.
i keep 'em in the bottom of the tool box for the occasional use.
on that note however,i do think the normal xp dogs are to small most often.(we probably all do,that's why these look nice lol.just a bit to much tho)

Last edited:
is it $15 for the whole set? both dogs and a chain catcher? i'll have to get soem fo them i got a 385 and 390 to put them on

is it $15 for the whole set? both dogs and a chain catcher? i'll have to get soem fo them i got a 385 and 390 to put them on

I don't know about the 390 but these fit perfectly on my 385 as well as my 372. They came with both dogs and chain catcher. MUCH better on the 385 than the stock small dogs (same for the 372). Thanks again Brad for posting that link and letting us know about them.:clap:

Scott

If someone is ordering a set and doesnt mind getting a extra set I could paypal them and get them shipped USPS to me. PM me. All the shipping and stuff would otherwise make them expensive.
TIA
Bob

Back