I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a stihl 290 for about $6 that had an issue with the starter dog not engaging. Brought it home, put a different recoil on it, poured in some gas, and it fired off/ran on the 6th pull. Similar experience with a couple of other saws.
Your tellin me you got a stihl 290 for under 10 bucks..............
kudos to you sir!

Your tellin me you got a stihl 290 for under 10 bucks..............
kudos to you sir!

Yep. Had to spend a few bucks to replace the missing AF cover and clutch cover though. Not a CL or ebay purchase either. I've bought a few other things for waaaaay below normal prices too, just not from ebay or cl.

Its worth #300 to $400 or more in that condition.

I was the lucky buyer of this saw, i know the seller. The saw has an older restoration but is 100% complete, no breaks or cracked parts, good compression no spark. Might not be too hard to get running but i am not looking forward to working on that carburetor if need be. Fuel & oil caps look new.

I was the lucky buyer of this saw, i know the seller. The saw has an older restoration but is 100% complete, no breaks or cracked parts, good compression no spark. Might not be too hard to get running but i am not looking forward to working on that carburetor if need be. Fuel & oil caps look new.

Congrats on the score. :rock:
Carby looks pretty simple. When you get it going post up some pics in this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/antique-saw-thread.128393/

DSCN3165.JPG

This one looks like new! Homelite C-7:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/4257294865.html
00Q0Q_8xj2i82JYuc_600x450.jpg

Don't know about a repaint but if I was close I would be looking for a gear drive hanging off the other side of that convertible.

Kinda like the optional auto oiler on ebay right now hanging on an xp :chainsaw:
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us already saw that and were hoping it was going to stay quiet. That guy sure put some BS (model #'s that don't apply to the saws in question) in his listing titles. The 1050 (or Super XP-1020A) also has a flat reed manifold from a C-series swapped on.....

Last edited:
It never occurred to me that it might be a repaint. I assumed it was original by the condition of decal on the recoil. I don't know anything about them and didn't realize the handle brace was missing.
00O0O_aoFGBmvqu0L_600x450.jpg

That's an aluminum tag riveted to the flywheel cover. The rivets can be driven out from the backside, and then driven back in after the cover's been repainted.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First you got to get pass me on it. hehe :laugh:

When I seen it I thought of that feller a few years back that just HAD to have one and
then after a few months of showing it off he put it up for sale.

In fact he had a whole slew of old Homeys that he dumped and got into a new sport. Cant fault him for getting a new hobby
but on the way up he did a lot of dancing and smoozing to get what he got then dumped it all. :buttkick:

Back