Old Saws -- Good Weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM_DaddyMac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A neighbor close to home was having a yard sale, I stopped by and noticed a line-up of older chainsaws. After some back and forth we settled on a price for the lot and brought home 13 old saws. Some are clearly better and more complete than others but all in all a good weekend. Included in the lot are a Stihl 056 Mag II, Stihl S-10, a Homelite, Sears gear drive, Clinton, Bradley Bulldog, Wright C-70, a couple Lombard's and a few others I have no clue what they are.

Here are some pics of the saws. If any of you who are more versed in vintage saws than I could ever be can identify the mystery saws I would greatly appreciate it. I did put a fresh plug and fuel mix in the carb of the S-10, and it runs. I did not have a chance to start tinkering with the others as daylight was fading. Thinking of keeping one or two as garage art and hope to find deserving homes for the others.

Batch I

Bradley_Bulldog.jpg

Bradley Bulldog

Clinton.jpg

Clinton

Homelight.jpg

Homelite

Lombard.jpg

Lombard I

Lombard_II.jpg

Lombard II

Not_A_Clue_I.jpg

Not A Clue I

Not_A_Clue_II.jpg

Not A Clue II

Sears_Gear_Drive.jpg

Sears Gear Drive

Last edited:
Photos Batch II

Batch 2 of old saw photos -- AS limits posts at 8.

Stihl_056_MagII.jpg

Stihl 056

Stihl_S10.jpg

Stihl S-10

Tecumseh.jpg

Tecumseh

Wards_2_Can.jpg

Wards 2 Can

Wright_C-70.jpg

Wright C-70

Family_Pic_I.jpg

Family Pic 1

Family_Pic_II.jpg

Family Pic 2

Wow, that's quite a batch of old saws! Was your neighbor a chainsaw collector or just a packrat?

Rep to you for thinking about all the AS old-saw addicts and completing this score. Hours of entertainment await you even if you don't keep but a couple. It's so much fun just to peel away the grime, rust and dust to see what's really underneath. And the saws you don't want to keep/restore will surely find good homes somewhere among the AS CAD faithful.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Wow, that's quite a batch of old saws! Was your neighbor a chainsaw collector or just a packrat?

A little of both. He had these saws and several other newer ones that were torn apart in bits and pieces. At least the ones I got were reasonably complete given their age. My sense is he bought these as a lot years ago and never did anything with them. I still have two buckets of stuff to rummage through.

First one looks like Sears and the other looks like a Strunk

Mr. Bow -- you may be on to something with the Strunk. Did a quick look at the Acres site (what a resource for a novice like me) and found something that looks very similar if not the model. Thanks this at least takes it out the John Doe column.

Strunk_BB.jpg

A big "Wow" on your find! An instant vintage saw collection. Glad to see these old saws have the opportunity to be saved, either as a whole complete saws or as parts to keep others running. "CAD is a good thing!" Best of luck, and thanks for the pictures. Max.

The pict of the first saw, the yellow one is a David Bradley, made by Strunk and based on their model 3-19. David Bradley supplied saws for Sears Roebuck for many years. Here is a pict of one of mine.

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Update 1

I got the C-70 started with a fresh plug and fuel mix in the carb. It ran for about 15 seconds. Sounds like a good carb cleaning and new fuel lines are in order. So that makes two that will start / run -- Stihl S10 and Wright C-70. The others still need further diagnosis. I will keep the thread updated.

Update 2

Finally had a chance to dig into a couple of the saws. The Homelite is a model 707. Pull cord is not working so I cannot check compression and spark. Will figure a way to reconnect to get some readings and then decide whether or not to pursue a new carb as the one on there is incomplete.

Based on some research on AS and other sites it seems what I originally thought was an Stihl S-10 may actually be a Stihl 08S. Here are pictures from AS member "gmax" along with my original phote. With the orange badge on the starter coil and the badge on the clutch housing looks very similar to the saw I got. I do not have a photo handy of my clutch side, but it does have the same plate, but no markings (scratched / scraped off). What do you think -- 08S?

The saw I got a yard sale:
Stihl_S10.jpg

Stihl 08S (I) -- photo from "gmax"
Stihl_08S_1.jpg

Stihl 08S (II) -- photo from "gmax"
Stihl_08S_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back