Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goin to see a guy this weekend that has a bunch of 6-20 and 650's he say's he has a whole garage fulla pioneer's he cant remember all the models but there's alot of different one's he say's and some lombard's. taking the camera so i'll post up some pics. let me know if you need any parts Chris.

Lawrence

Thanks for the offer. As gmax stated, it is a 650. I have the IPL for it, but nothing else. If you can offer any documentation on this saw I would certainly appreciate it!

Brad

The paint concept is interesting, is it not? I kind of like it as it will provide a good contrast to the finished product. :D

gmax

Now that's a 620 top cover - nice saw! I should have recognized the difference immediately, but most of my attention is devoted to Jonsereds. I sure like these old Pioneers though - that's why I'm posting in this thread as all of you Pioneer gurus hang out here. :)

Rich

I haven't gone through the saw yet, but it is reputed to be a runner. I'm still looking forward to your pics though, and thanks a lot for the parts offer! I noticed that I am missing one bolt on the bottom left of the flywheel cover, but I should be able to track down one of those at a fastener specialty shop in the city.

Still, I am tempted to buy a 650 parts saw, although I would hate to see a good parts saw sit and waste away. I only plan on restoring this saw and it will not be run other than the initial start-up. If I do come across a parts saw I would likely take what I need and then pass it along to another Pioneer guy.

I will wait until I know whether I need a parts saw. Likely I will do a quick check-over on this saw and if it starts up I will just restore it and figure out what parts I need down the road.

Thanks fellas! This is a nice looking saw and I am anxious to get to work on it.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Just in today, A Pioneer P61 in nice shape but someone
ran straight gas in her so it is in need of a P+C.

PioneerP61001.jpg

PioneerP61002.jpg

PioneerP61003.jpg

So i'm in need of some parts if anyone can help.
I would be much appreciated.

Lee

Last edited:
Hope someone can give me some info. I am trying to rebuild this Pioneer 14 20. The problem is that the cylinder wall has lost a bit of the plating, looks like its flaked off. The rest of the bore is in pretty good shape so I'm wondering if there is any way to salvage this with a light hone and new rings or if I have to try to find a new jug somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is my first attempt at an old saw. thanks

Difficult to say without seeing it,
but i would say if the chrome is
coming off you will need a new cylinder.
The chrome is probably coming off in the
ring travel and a new set of rings will
most likely peel more of the chrome.

Just my thoughts

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, thats kind of what I was thinking too. Its missing a pretty good sized patch near the top, right where the rings go by. Any suggestions who might have a spare jug laying around?

I don't know off the top of my head,
but there are a few guys here that are
into these older pioneers and they may
pipe in.
Another option is to have it rechromed
but it isn't cheap. last one i had done was
around $175.00

Lee

Thanks for the reply, thats kind of what I was thinking too. Its missing a pretty good sized patch near the top, right where the rings go by. Any suggestions who might have a spare jug laying around?

Considering the amount of Pioneer knowledge and contacts that these guys have, the best place is probably right here.

If I had to pick one source, I would say Pioneerguy600 would be the guy to ask. Jerry has been into these saws for so long that he probably rebuilds 2 or 3 while watching the evening news!

Oh so you can also have them rechromed. That may be an option if I can't turn up another cyl. looks like it won't be cheap though. I got the saw from an old fella who would love to hear it run again so it might be worth it to see the smile on his face! Little did he know when he gave the saw to me it would start this disease that many of you have collecting and resurecting these cool old beasts, I'm not even done this one yet and already looking for the next one! Think I may have a line on an old 600 or 650, Damn addiction!

Here We go Again

Funny how this thread seems to sit idle for awhile then BANG someone has a new find,new problem or there's a new member to AS and it all gets going again.Nice Pioneer find you have there Lee.About cylinder re-chroming I think propliner or pioneerguy600 looked into that at one time,I would ask them also mapleking
Lawrence

Funny how this thread seems to sit idle for awhile then BANG someone has a new find,new problem or there's a new member to AS and it all gets going again.Nice Pioneer find you have there Lee.About cylinder re-chroming I think propliner or pioneerguy600 looked into that at one time,I would ask them also mapleking
Lawrence

Lawrence, I'm the one telling about cylinder rechroming.
I had one done by US chrome.

Lee

The cylinder on the 2071 I found is also losing some of the chrome plating. Maybe this is a fairly common problem with some of the Pioneer saws? I've never seen it come up here before though. It's odd because the piston was scored up a bit in that saw, but only above the rings, and the cylinder was almost perfectly fine other than the flaking chrome around the exhaust port especially.

Just picked up a few Pioneers.

ChainsawBonanza-Pioneer1.jpg

2 RAs; HC; 600; 700; 450; P40; 1074; 3071; Farmlite, etc .... I forget the rest (they came as part of a lot).

A few just said IEL and I couldn't find a model number. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on them as it looks like rain here. EDIT: I believe these are the RAs.

23 Pioneers in all, although there are a couple of more that are in boxes.

That should keep me in projects for a while.

:cheers:

Last edited:
looks like fun cjcocn :clap:

I see your 1073 (or 4) is missing it's plastic top cover....seems to be contagious.

Does anyone have a new recoil spring for a 1073? I think I put mine in backwards when I cleaned it up the first time...

:newbie:

Nice haul, cj! It looks like they're breeding like rabbits... that's quite a family of Pioneers. And I thought I had my hands full.
Would that be a P60 I see?

Brian, I have the spring you are looking for. Send me a P.M.

Brendon.

Back