Poulan 4400. Another ole work horse up and running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know Gregg, you brought up a really good point. I have a 4200, a 4900 and an 8500 and have used them quite a bit of late. I know I am getting old and as my boys tell me, senile, but for the life of me I cannot tell a great deal of difference between the three. The 4200, at only 69cc is a real sleeper.

Al.

Like the Dolmar 6400 and 7900, the Poulan's in this series have different size bores, but the same long stroke. That's what gives you torque.

And these saws sure are purdy.

attachment.php

My own 4400, original owner:

Very nice saw.Just one question.I noticed on the last pic that one cylinder fin is bended.My 4200 had also a couple of fins bended like that,i straighten them,but i wonder what cause this to your cylinder.

Well now I know to never doubt poulan might be low rpm's but I just buried the whole 24" bar in dead red oak and it cut through like a hot knife in butter

Well now I know to never doubt poulan might be low rpm's but I just buried the whole 24" bar in dead red oak and it cut through like a hot knife in butter

Where's your "O Thirty Junk" now?????
Don't think that just because they don't turn 15,000 RPMs that they won't cut.
While the "hotrod saws" are turning all those awesome LOOKING rpms out of the wood they will drop right down there with the Poulan's when they hit the wood. Lean on them just a bit and they fall on their face, but the old Countervibe is still pulling dang near as many rpms in the log as it did out!
THAT is POWER!

Oh, and by the way.......in the words of the late great Ernest Tubb......."and I'm glad that I can say I told you so"!

Mike

Just wondering, looking at some of these pics of great looking 4400's & 5400's. I'm not familiar with them personally, but do have a 4200 & 5200. I know the 4400 etc. have a slightly larger,elongated fuel tank/rear handle compared to the 4200 etc. What is protruding from the hole where the upper right screw hole is on the starter cover? Just noticed it looking over your great looking 4400 Mels and ChrisJ's 5400. Funny how things pop up, that I havn't noticed or thought about before.:) The screws are clearly visible on my 4200. I assume they are just set deeper in the cover on the 4400.

4200004.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

if my old eyes don't deceive me it sez LO for low speed jet.

or it is a 1/4 x 20 socket head cap screw.

Last edited:
if my old eyes don't deceive me it sez LO for low speed jet.

or it is a 1/4 x 20 socket head cap screw.

I think your right about the socket head screw. After zooming in on the pics some. The carb screws, I'm pretty sure, are all 3 up under the top cover, right on the carb. The have the layout of the carb screws on the recoil cover,just like the older models.

Gregg,

I think your right about the socket head screw. After zooming in on the pics some. The carb screws, I'm pretty sure, are all 3 up under the top cover, right on the carb. The have the layout of the carb screws on the recoil cover,just like the older models.

Gregg,

Gregg, along with the different tank, the upgraded starter housing was one of the upgrades on what I call the second generation saws. The recoil is now held on with 1/4" bolts insead of the # 10's used before. The spring assy was also changed.

Poulan actually offered a retro fit cover upgrade for the 4200 and 5200. It came with the 1/4" bolts as well as a set of 1/4" allan head bolts that were stepped down to #10 threads to fit the older saws.

I'm not a stihl guy buy no means that's a friend at my fire house and his face was priceless when I cut after his 036 labored through. But thanks for the help and knowledge

I'm not a stihl guy buy no means that's a friend at my fire house and his face was priceless when I cut after his 036 labored through. But thanks for the help and knowledge

I'll just about bet YOUR face had a priceless look on it too!!!!! Something like this.......:D

Mike

Gregg,

Yessir, them's the idle, and hi / lo screws. Hope this helps:

View attachment 272283View attachment 272284View attachment 272285View attachment 272286
Very nice saw.Just one question.I noticed on the last pic that one cylinder fin is bended.My 4200 had also a couple of fins bended like that,i straighten them,but i wonder what cause this to your cylinder.

Thanks! Those bent fins on the cylinder are just how she came. There's one shot where a lower fin has a pretty good krink in it, think that may have been when I pried it off with a screwdriver years ago...

Gregg, along with the different tank, the upgraded starter housing was one of the upgrades on what I call the second generation saws. The recoil is now held on with 1/4" bolts insead of the # 10's used before. The spring assy was also changed.

Poulan actually offered a retro fit cover upgrade for the 4200 and 5200. It came with the 1/4" bolts as well as a set of 1/4" allan head bolts that were stepped down to #10 threads to fit the older saws.

This is definitely something noticeable from my 4200, 5200 to my 6900. After pulling the recoil on the 4200 and 5200 it makes the strangest noise when returning, they both return very slow also. The 6900 is great! So tight and brand new feeling:msp_thumbup:

Back