Reduced weight options for 36-inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking for a RW 36-inch bar, .404 pitch and .063 gauge, for a ported MS660. Sugihara, my first preference, seems to produce a max of 32 inches. I've used that bar before on ported 660 saws (with 3/8 pitch and .050 gauge) and really liked it. My dealer says the Stihl ES light doesn't come in 36-inch lengths, and I can't find a Tsumura bar of that length either. Is the bazillion dollar Oregon RW the only option out there?

I can easily (and somewhat inexpensively), just order a standard Stihl 36-inch ES bar in that pitch and gauge, but would like to go reduced weight if possible. And definitely want .404 for a bit of a bigger bite.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Your dealer is not looking hard enough. I've got a 36" .063" stihl light hanging on a wall in my garage. I don't know the part number but it was on here somewhere in a stihl light bar thread. I don't think you'll find a .404" one anywhere though. Simon can hook you up with a tsumura but it will be $$$$ compared to the stihl. I wouldn't want an oregon in that length since a 32" is so flimsy.

Your dealer is not looking hard enough. I've got a 36" .063" stihl light hanging on a wall in my garage. I don't know the part number but it was on here somewhere in a stihl light bar thread. I don't think you'll find a .404" one anywhere though. Simon can hook you up with a tsumura but it will be $$$$ compared to the stihl. I wouldn't want an oregon in that length since a 32" is so flimsy.

Yeah, the dealer had that deer in the headlights look when I asked about getting an ES Light bar. They gulped, looked it up, and from their distributor (southern Wisconsin), the 36 ES Light is not listed. I don't know why the money for RW bars is so stupid compared with standard ES bars. I can get the ES 36 in .404 and .063 for about $75 from the dealer. The Oregon RW 36 is easily more than twice that, and if Sugi made one that length it would be well over $100, considering $99 was what Sugi wanted for their 32-inch.

How's the flex of the 36 ES Light compare with the flex on the equivalent Oregon RW? Sounds like significant flex in the Oregon.

You don't want the light weight Oregon bar. I have a 32" and it's a wet noodle wagging off the power head.

Tony

The 36" stihl isn't bad at all for flex compared to the oregon. The stihl will flex a little easier than a normal bar in that length but not much.

I have a 32" Tsumura light bar and it has very little flex. It's alot better than the Oregon 32" I have seen. I havent really got to check out any Stihl light bars over 28" but I liked the 28" alot.

I would think the Stihl, Sugi, or Tsumura light bars would be worth trying, but I'd also recommend steering away from the Oregon RW.

Given the cost, I think I'll just get a standard Stihl ES 36-inch in .404 pitch and .063 gauge. The weight savings in a RW bar won't be much anyway, when you think about the combined weight of saw and bar. Nowhere near enough weight saving to justify the added cost.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Much appreciated! :)

I love the ES Light bars. Here's a 36" on my 066.

IMG8609-M.jpg

How's the flex of the 36 ES Light compare with the flex on the equivalent Oregon RW? Sounds like significant flex in the Oregon.

I've run both. The Stihl Light is a much better bar. Oregon's quality control on their larger bars has been hit and miss. The last few Oregon bars I bought, including a couple of RWs, were a disappointment.

I ran Oregon for years but recently switched back to Stihl.

Don't kid yourself, the Stihl ES Light bars are money makers, the weight that is saved by going to an ES Light bar is much more important than the weight saved buy getting a lighter powerhead due to the lever effect.

Based on the cost you may or may not be able to justify it, but as to whether or not, the weight savings is incredibly noticeable, again more so than on the powerhead.

Sam

I agree with all on the es/light as a good bar to go for. Mike yep agree flex is minimal. Brad good catch on chainging the sprocket, some guys don't know it is that easy. Sam I agree it is totally worth the extra cost for the bar, and VERY noticeable. I have been using a 046 mag alot, everyday at work. Put the 32 light, and used to run the standard. Very big difference packing less bar weight, and I feel better at the end of the day.

It is worth it to me if I need a bar that big for a days use. There's a big difference in how tired your forearms will be at the end of the day especially on a 660 that doesn't balance as well as some other saws.

It is worth it to me if I need a bar that big for a days use. There's a big difference in how tired your forearms will be at the end of the day especially on a 660 that doesn't balance as well as some other saws.

I agree. There's been some debate in the past about just manning up and getting by with regular bars, but the whole point of technological
innovation is to help us work smarter and save wear and tear on our bodies. All of my grandfathers and great grandfathers along with my
uncles and my dad had health problems related to working in the woods cutting timber. I've noticed a lot less soreness in my elbows after
switching over to the lighter bars. Like everyone is saying, the Stihl light bars are about the best thing running currently, and the Tsumaras
are really good. When the Oregon RW bars first came out they were decent but the quality control is rapidly fading.

Thanks for the continued feedback, fellas. :bowdown:

I really like the balance of the 32-inch Sugihara on the 660. The Sugi is also noticeably lighter than standard Stihl ES bars. A 36-inch standard Stihl bar definitely would produce a nose-heavy combo, which is why I'm interested in some of the light bars. I do want to run .404/.063, and it sounds like the ES Light bars only come in 3/8.

All my other Stihl saws are set up for 3/8 and .050, which I like because of swapability. So, slightly different question. I've never run .404 much, and wonder how much actual cutting time difference there would be between the .404 and 3/8 on that saw with a 36-inch bar. And, given the choice between the two 36-inch B&Cs, assuming the .404 cuts faster, would you take the Light bar in 3/8 over the standard bar in .404?

I'm willing to save my pennies and get the ES Light if that seems to be the better combo of weight/cutting time.

.404 on a regular saw cuts a bit slower than 3/8" but the trade-off is the heavier chassis, wider kerf, and longer life of the chain.
A lot of logging companies here are still running .404" on landings due to the dirty conditions those saws run in. .404 can take
some heinous abuse.

I like the reduced weight bars a lot. I like running a 28" over a 24" since a 28" light weight is lighter than most 24" bars.

Bar weight and balance has more to do with how heavy a saw feels as I found out today. I went to Madsens with Medic5050 and we lifted a new 372 with a 32" bar and a 390 with a 32" bar and the 390 felt much lighter to both of us. That surprised me but the 372 was very nose heavy with that bar where the 390 wasn't. With that length bar I'm sure I would feel less tired with the bigger saw.

Latest posts

Back