SawBuck-16" Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need to make a sawbuck with some 2x4's for my smaller logs. Does anyone have plans for one that gives you 16" length pieces?

Also, do you have any tricks for holding down multiple pieces? Rubber strap?

I need to make a sawbuck with some 2x4's for my smaller logs. Does anyone have plans for one that gives you 16" length pieces?

Also, do you have any tricks for holding down multiple pieces? Rubber strap?

Loaded up:

sawbuck-Copy.jpg

Cut up:

sawbuck1.jpg

Folds flat when done.

sawbicl2.jpg

Jusst some old angle iron "U"s lag bolted to sacrificial 2x6.

Must use a _sharp_ chain and start the cut carefully. No need to hold 'em down but the top one will sometimes want to climb up over the stakes.

Harry K

Last edited:
Someone (possibly GoRVing?) posted about one they built last winter or early in the spring. You might do a search to see if you can find it.

Ya, know what ya mean....

Zogger I agree I hae been trying to talk myself into buying one of those myself but I keep thinking I can make something cheaper.

I sorta think the same way, but I am like 278 projects behind as it is right now. I'd get one if I wasn't broke all the time, hard enough to pay for busted well used chainsaws at near scrap metal prices.

So, right now I will do neither, make one or buy one. I'll just cut long poles like that like I always do, lay them over some logs and weight one end down with like a crotch piece to hold it. Or whatever other technique looks good that day...improvisation.

When I do trees, I cut from the tops back (usually), so the tree holds the branch.

Easy Made Sawbuck

View attachment 201625Here is a picture of the one I made and use. Not shown in this photo is a pair of heavy rubber bungee straps I use on each end. This keeps a log in place if it is say for example 48" long. I can run a strap over the center of the log and cut 16" off each end and wind up with 3-16" rounds.

All 2 x 4 pieces are 48" long. Just make as many x's as you want and space them apart so you can make the length of cut you want to make.

Lay the X's down and fasten a 4 foot 2x4 across the bottom of each leg (on one side). Flip them over a fasten another 2x4 across the bottom of of the legs on the other side.

Now stand the frame up and spread it open until you have the width of the V at the top at a width and heeight you like. Next attach a 4 foot 2 x 4 right under the V on one side and do the same on the other side. These last 2 x 4 's will keep the sawbuck from spreading out and wider and collasping.

Use 3/8" -x 4" carriage bolts to hold the x's together. I believe (you may want to do it higher or lower) I bored the holes about 12" from the top end.

Use 3" sheet rock screws to fasten the braces (2-screws) to each spacing. This one will last a long time if you store it in your garage or shop when not in use.

Nosmo

View attachment 201625Here is a picture of the one I made and use. Not shown in this photo is a pair of heavy rubber bungee straps I use on each end. This keeps a log in place if it is say for example 48" long. I can run a strap over the center of the log and cut 16" off each end and wind up with 3-16" rounds.

All 2 x 4 pieces are 48" long. Just make as many x's as you want and space them apart so you can make the length of cut you want to make.

Lay the X's down and fasten a 4 foot 2x4 across the bottom of each leg (on one side). Flip them over a fasten another 2x4 across the bottom of of the legs on the other side.

Now stand the frame up and spread it open until you have the width of the V at the top at a width and heeight you like. Next attach a 4 foot 2 x 4 right under the V on one side and do the same on the other side. These last 2 x 4 's will keep the sawbuck from spreading out and wider and collasping.

Use 3/8" -x 4" carriage bolts to hold the x's together. I believe (you may want to do it higher or lower) I bored the holes about 12" from the top end.

Use 3" sheet rock screws to fasten the braces (2-screws) to each spacing. This one will last a long time if you store it in your garage or shop when not in use.

Nosmo

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for. I might make the tops a little longer to hold more pieces. :D

Rottiman, I like that set up..Did you drill a hole through the bar for it to pivot on?
Looks like a garage door spring?

Simple to the Point

Love this simple and effective-Thanks

Loaded up:

sawbuck-Copy.jpg

Cut up:

sawbuck1.jpg

Folds flat when done.

sawbicl2.jpg

Jusst some old angle iron "U"s lag bolted to sacrificial 2x6.

Must use a _sharp_ chain and start the cut carefully. No need to hold 'em down but the top one will sometimes want to climb up over the stakes.

Harry K

Last edited:
Yes, the bar is drilled. spring was from and old RV awning used to tension the rope coming down from a pole.

Is an assumption of bushings on either side of the bar to stop the chain from coming into contact with the metal brace holding the bar correct? Looks like a good way to burn through cutting to length fast. A person probably could make another hole higher up to accommodate a little larger log if someone was so inclined.

If you can put a sawbuck on a trailer, then you can load it up with poles right where you cut them, drive the trailer right to where you're stacking, cut it up, and pile right to your stack. If some need splitting, toss those to one side & split & stack later.

Another time & work saver. I've got that setup behind an ATV, works great.

Anything that is too big around to pile on the trailer sawbuck in long lengths I cut up in place & tow the splitter right to, then toss the splits on the trailer right from the splitter & unload right onto the stack.

All my stacks are on pallets that I move to my basement entrance with a FEL, and wheel right in place beside my boiler with an old pallet jack.

I don't have one, but it's cool, seems to work, and if it is a tool you want to use forever, season after season, doesn't seem all that expensive. check out the vid with it.

Bailey's - Smart-Holder Firewood Holder

I made one similar out of wood just to try it out. Now it gets used all the time. It sure does work great. It can handle a heavy and long log. I roll it about as I work. It folds for easy transport.

Latest posts

Back