Sears gear drive Roper info?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked this saw up the other day and had some time to mess with it this morning. This is a Sears 917.352133 gear drive (Roper). Anyone have info on these. I can not find anything on them. Runs out decent just need to play with the idle adjustment some more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did some cutting with it today. Had some trouble with it idleing but pulled strong on the cut. Was supprised to see a fixed jet high when I cleaned the carb.

Hey Mitch, that saw looks a lot different than it did at noon...

Mark

Wife says I clean up well too, don't believe her though.

The carb linkage is similar to one of the macs we looked at today. It does not have a solid connection and wants to surge from time to time. Can this be remedied with the proper fuel mixture or am tring to fix the impossible?

Wife says I clean up well too, don't believe her though.

The carb linkage is similar to one of the macs we looked at today. It does not have a solid connection and wants to surge from time to time. Can this be remedied with the proper fuel mixture or am tring to fix the impossible?

If the diaphragms are in good shape, the fuel lines and filter are O.K., and the seals and reed valves are tight you should be able to adjust it to a point where there is very little surging. I kind of like the "surge" seems to lope like a big old V8 with a fancy cam.

Mark

I have minimized the surging and it seems to run out well. Watched a vid Hoss has up and it is compairable to that saw in rpm and over all tune.
Draging it along with me tomorrow for a vid.

I have found a new class of saws that has caught my CAD side!
I have 3 from that class. I am completely amazed at the power from these!!!
The gear system is alot different then the major saw company's from that era!

mweba, your looks NICE!!!!!:rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have one of these Sears geardrives Model G-44,
I thought they were a neat looking saw so had to
get one for my collection.
I allso have H47G Like Teddy.Scout's saw.

cut2.jpg

cut4.jpg

cut3.jpg

I have one of these Sears geardrives Model G-44,
I thought they were a neat looking saw so had to
get one for my collection.
I allso have H47G Like Teddy.Scout's saw.

Hey Cliff, What's that funny looking long thing sticking out of the business end of the saw?

They look that way when they first come out of the cocoon.
It take a few hours of sitting in full sun before their bows open out.
:biggrinbounce2:

Hey Ken,

Have not seen you around much. I was hoping you were getting out of saws and selling all of your stuff at scrap prices......

Just kidding. :cheers: Glad to hear from you.

Still waiting to try some of that fancy honey from NM. Hope things are well out there.

Tim

Hey Cliff, What's that funny looking long thing sticking out of the business end of the saw?

I don't know Doc. What do you think happend.:biggrinbounce2:

And im still waiting but nothing as opend out yet.:laugh:

Tim - The bee and honey busyness is in full swing now... my 41st year with the bees. That and getting the last of the garden in is keeping me tied-up pretty well in summertime, like always. I do manage a few hours with the saws. Pm me with your address and email and I'll tell ya how to get some honey... :cheers:

Cliff - maybe you need to sprinkle it with a little Jim Beam... :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't want to dis-rail mweba's thread... I have a Sears G44, too, but haven't tried to cut any wood with it, yet. Your saw looks good. Some parts of the design remind me of some of the 10-series Macs. Maybe Roper looked over the Mac saws when they were designing it...

Good old gear-drives!!

Latest posts

Back