Small Craftsman chainsaw 42cc fuel line route

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastback4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. My $1.00 yard sale sears 42cc chainsaw fired up after a squirt of fuel in the carb but the fuel lines were crumbled and missing from the primer bulb. It's a model # 358 350280. In the tank lay the filter and some brown hard fuel line. The only fuel line still attached was on the choke side of the carb and it went from the carb to the inside of the gas tank just protruding inside top of the tank. Can someone help me route the fuel lines correctly. I bought some sears fuel line and a new filter. Oh, by the way thanks for helping my friend with his decision to keep his working Pioneer chainsaw.

Fuel supply line is at the top of the carb, the front most spigot and the purge line to 'primer' bulb is the lower one.
View attachment 187491

The purge bulb sucks fuel thru the carb and returns it to the tank at the clutch/bar side of the saw. The return line should have a tiny hose barb in the end inside the tank. You pull it up against the hole with the line and it helps seal the line to the tank. It is slightly larger in diameter than the supply line.

In this picture you can barely see the return line into the tank.
View attachment 187492

You can just barely see it by the 'P' in the caption.

Some primer bulbs are marked for carb and tank but the best way is to just pump it and hold your finger over each port. Whichever side developes suction is the side the connect to the carb.

Oh by the way ...

Be careful and don't tighten the carb down too much. That black plastic plate that the carb mounts to can crack very easily. Don't ask me how I know ......

Fuel line routing

As you can see, i have installed what i think are the correct fuel line routes. The line on the left goes into the tank and at the end is a filter. The right side line goes into the tank but only a little bit. It has a nipple on the end of this line. My carb has a fuel spout on each side, one lower than the other. if i blow on the left spout, no air comes out of the right spout. If i blow on the right spout, air comes out of the left spout. So I "think" i connect one line from the primer bulb ( to carb) to the right hand spout, and the other (to tank) to the filter fuel line. That leaves one spout on the left side carb that goes to the right side tank fuel line with the nipple on it. Sound correct to you guys?.......Tom

View attachment 187750

Be careful and don't tighten the carb down too much. That black plastic plate that the carb mounts to can crack very easily. Don't ask me how I know ......

Good point! I always use blue Loctite on vibrating equipment threads

Hello wall

I just stumbled into this place and found out there may be answers to all my questions if I can ask them properly. I have a terrible habit of buying chainsaws and abusing them until they break, then taking them apart several times before I buy another used saw and break it. So my latest is one of the sears/poulan (sear p/n 358350280) named in this thread. What i would really appreciate is a service manual for this thing. Please?

It starts and runs fine, but it leaks bar oil and it doesn't oil the bar and chain.

Does one of the bar studs seem to be longer than the other? Reason I ask is if the oil pump fails and the operator runs it not oiling it will get the bar mount so hot the bar stud will melt/pull thru the plastic mount. It will distort the plastic so bad it will leak bar oil everywhere and not oil the chain. Or you could just simply have a bad rubber tube that feeds the bar mount. My 2 cents.

I just stumbled into this place and found out there may be answers to all my questions if I can ask them properly. I have a terrible habit of buying chainsaws and abusing them until they break, then taking them apart several times before I buy another used saw and break it. So my latest is one of the sears/poulan (sear p/n 358350280) named in this thread. What i would really appreciate is a service manual for this thing. Please?

It starts and runs fine, but it leaks bar oil and it doesn't oil the bar and chain.

Look under the "stickies" section and there is a thread called the "Beg for manuals" thread. Go to the end of the thread and ask for your manual. I'm not sure how well they can match up that sears model number, so you may have to start another thread asking in the chainsaw forum if anyone knows which poulan model is equivalent to your craftsman, then ask for the manual under the Poulan model number.

Of course, you could just try Sears.

i always turned the larger line into the feed line, and the micro line as the primer...just my .02 they seem to have a much snappier and smoother circuit changeover and idle better with the larger line as the main feed. good luck wrenching:rock:

Last edited:
Back