ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Stihl 028 super question

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Jrapp, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jrapp

Jrapp ArboristSite Member

I just bought a 028s and I was thinking if there is a way to change it from a front tension to a side tension?

2. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa) It's the chain...

I went through this. Seems like only the very latest production saws had the side adjust. Pretty much need the right case half from a late model to make it work. FWIW, The longer the screwdriver, the better for ease of adjusting with the front adjust.

3. sld961

sld961 Addicted to ArboristSite

What Duane said. The cases are different.

4. albert

albert Addicted to ArboristSite

Check your case under the guide plate. Before the side tensioner went into production, a interum front tensioner was used with the new side tensioner type case. This front tensioner will only work with the new type case that will accept the side tenioner parts. I have had a few like this, so it's possible they were in production for a year or so before going side tensioner.

5. Jrapp

Jrapp ArboristSite Member

Ok. Sounds like a crap shoot. I almost didn't buy it because of the front adjust. But I thought the price was too good to pass up. Only paid $125.00.

Thanks again.