Stihl 028 super question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrapp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 028s and I was thinking if there is a way to change it from a front tension to a side tension?

I went through this. Seems like only the very latest production saws had the side adjust. Pretty much need the right case half from a late model to make it work. FWIW, The longer the screwdriver, the better for ease of adjusting with the front adjust.

Check your case under the guide plate. Before the side tensioner went into production, a interum front tensioner was used with the new side tensioner type case. This front tensioner will only work with the new type case that will accept the side tenioner parts. I have had a few like this, so it's possible they were in production for a year or so before going side tensioner.

Ok. Sounds like a crap shoot. I almost didn't buy it because of the front adjust. But I thought the price was too good to pass up. Only paid $125.00.

Thanks again.

IMHO you are very lucky if you get one with the side adjust. So much better, and easier to use. I bought a 028 Super brand new, and it's Absolutely one of the best buys I ever made in my whole life. I completely lucked out and got a very late model with the side adjust and the double screw on the air filter. The only problem there is that you MUST get an air filter that fits Exactly right or you'll have nothing but trouble.
The second 028 Super I bought off of eBay, and I looked for YEARS, and bid on several, getting sniped in the last 5 seconds several times until the last time when I was the sniper, and I got ALMOST the exact saw I wanted for $231 delivered. It needed a little bit of work, but it's a side adjust model, and it runs very well. I'm glad to Finally have gotten another saw like I wanted.
In my opinion, these are fantastic saws, much better than any saw you could buy for anything like that kind of money.
How many things can you buy these days and use every year for 40 something years and have it still run like brand new!?!

Back