Stihl 064 from '98

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

my first post on AS but been reading posts for over a year. Didn't make an account earlier because I probably can't add a lot of information, but more important, I didn't want to become addicted to chainsaws. TOO BAD! I'm 21 years and grew up with cleaning chainsaws (Stihl 034 and 066), and after a few years started using them. Later, lost them both cuz my parents got divorced and no more chainsaws.. :mad:

But that period is over now, of course I HAD TO BUY a new chainsaw! A year back, I had some trucks with logs stopping here. Firewood time, mum wanted the cheapest Stihl, but what did she know about chainsaws. So I went for a brand new Stihl MS 362! Great saw, really happy with it. Running it with a 18" bar and cut 50m³ of logs, is around 13.8 cords if I'm correct (I'm from Belgium so not used to count in cords). Though a MS 362 is a nice saw, I couldn't help myself and I kept checking websites for used chainsaws. Wanted a big one, to restore, for back-up and to take out the big logs. Could be a 064, 066, 070, 088, 090, Contra,...
That brings me to the subject :)

I've found a Stihl 064 with a 20" bar. The owner bought the saw in 1998 and ran it since without having any problems (no parts are changed). That's one of the first! Most of the saws I've found had a cylinder and piston replaced due to running bad fuel. That doesn't make me want to buy a saw... But not this time! The saw is like it was when bought! The papers from buying the saw and the manual are also available. Looks like a good owner! The asking price was €400 so I mailed him to get some pictures. He told me the saw is in perfect condition.

The best pictures is this one:
View attachment 258924

It is still the original bar and it may be necessary to change that (will put a larger bar on it then). Next to that, the saw looks pretty neat to me. Going to look at the saw on saturday and do a test run, maybe buying it then. He needs to cut down a tree in his garden and after that, I can take it home if I want. (Perfect, I can see how he uses the saw and test it myself.)
I've already got a price agreement with the seller (If I'm happy with the test run) but just want to see what the opinions are here, what is the saw worth? I need to tell you that I get 2 used and 1 brand new Stihl chain with it.

I've been repairing the saw of a friend the past year (30 year old 034), the gardener used the wrong fuel and the piston was... wasted. Also did some work on the carb and fuel lines. Runs like a charm again! And always cleaned and helped repairing our own 034 and 066, so I have a good vision what to check when I'm testing a saw. But maybe there are some special things on a 064 to look out for? I've already searched the forum but there isn't a lot of info on the 064 (know that it looks a lot like the 066 and I know those pretty well), maybe I can change that after saturday! :msp_biggrin: But tips are welcome!

So, what price?
Something special I need to check?

Last edited:
Funny looking 064.
It's a European version and one of the last ones I think (built till 1999 in Germany?). The tags should still be on the saw and the sticker on the brake lever also (have a picture of the brake lever, not the other tag). I think it is a Stihl 064 AV (maybe Electronic Quickstop).

Funny looking 064.

How so?

258924d1351026617-2012-10-22-13-32-39-jpg

Well first of all WELCOME! Good thing you posted up beacouse honestly we really dont know anything either:msp_biggrin:
And insted of wondering if its a 064 or not well just say it is beacouse you said so. Almost 99% of the 064 parts are compatible with an 066 if im not mistaken so its really just a mini me of the 066 Kind of like the 046 and 044 only more like it

It's a European version and one of the last ones I think (built till 1999 in Germany?). The tags should still be on the saw and the sticker on the brake lever also (have a picture of the brake lever, not the other tag). I think it is a Stihl 064 AV (maybe Electronic Quickstop).

I believe all of them were what sometimes is called AVEQ, other details varied a little with time and markets though.

Production of the 064 lasted until it was replaced by the MS640 - how long they were sold on different markets is different stories...:msp_wink:

Last edited:
That price is about $520 US. With the extra chains ~ value $40 US so knock that off the 520 puts you at about $480 US for a well cared for large capacity chainsaw. I say fair deal but not outstanding deal. Did you do a compression check?

Dollars and euro's

I realised I may have made a mistake with the price. He does ask €400, so $520 at the moment if converted.

But a brand new 066 and a 25" bar (with 5.2Kw so the same as the Magnum) costs us € 1384,00.
When I check a random store in the US, 066 Magnum with 25" bar costs $1110,00.

So if I compare prices to a new one, the asking price would be $320 with 2 used and 1 brand new chain.

Hope you can follow my way of thinking :msp_smile: I think this way of comparing prices is more correct then to convert it.

Haven't did a compressing check yet.
Thanks for all the answers and info! And nice saws blsnelling!

Last edited:
I realised I may have made a mistake with the price. He does ask €400, so $520 at the moment if converted.

But a brand new 066 and a 25" bar (with 5.2Kw so the same as the Magnum) costs us € 1384,00.
When I check a random store in the US, 066 Magnum with 25" bar costs $1110,00.

So if I compare prices to a new one, the asking price would be $320 with 2 used and 1 brand new chain.

Hope you can follow my way of thinking :msp_smile: I think this way of comparing prices is more correct then to convert it.

Haven't did a compressing check yet.
Thanks for all the answers and info! And nice saws blsnelling!

New saws in the US seem to be cheaper than most other places, so comparing them may not be the best way to work out its value.

I'd say that is a pretty good deal considering its 1/3rd of the price of a new 66 in your area, assuming it is in good condition like the photo indicates

Good luck if you choose to buy it :rock:

New saws in the US seem to be cheaper than most other places, so comparing them may not be the best way to work out its value.

I'd say that is a pretty good deal considering its 1/3rd of the price of a new 66 in your area, assuming it is in good condition like the photo indicates

Good luck if you choose to buy it :rock:
Yea, pretty hard to compare I guess. That's what I mean with the calculation, it's around 1/3 of a new 066 so in Dollars and if the saw was in the US, the price would be around $320. Looks more correct to me than just converting euro's into dollars in this case.

I've got a deal with the seller at €275 euro with the chains, so means 1/5 of a new 066 :D (=> $222 = 1/5 of new 066 in US). Just hope it runs like a charm, I can test it in logs of 20" before buying.

Latest posts

Back