Stihl FG2 Bench Mount Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After a long wait I finally obtained a tool that I have wanted for quite a while. What kept me from making this happen sooner was the near $200 price tag. Perserverence paid off and I scored one off of the bay for $50 LNIB. I have owned an older metal and plastic Stihl bar mount filing guide for many years, but I have been mostly disapointed with the results obtained from it. I have hand filed for years and I'm OK at it, but maintaining angles and lengths is tedious. I know a grinder will fix all of that, but they bring there own set of issues. I had hoped that the FG2 would be a solution. It is.

The instructions and setup are fairly straightforward. It took me just a short while to get the jig mounted and ready to file. For the first time I believe I can make chain that has sharpness as good or better than the factory edge. Stihl RS comes out of the package very sharp, and it is hard to improve on. Oregon Chisel chain less so. I have long believed that the reason that RS was difficult to copy the factory edge on was because of the toughness of the steel and the chrome thickness. The FG2 provides the needed stiffness to keep the file from chattering. A smooth cut will provide a keen edge. I now feel that after passing over the FG2 my chains are "blueprinted." It is easy to hold +/-.003" on the cutter length. With the clamp it is fairly quick to sharpen one side. To sharpen the other side the whole setup must be flopped, but after a few instances the becomes fiarly easy. This is no flimsy gadget. It is a precision piece of machinery that will produce excellent results with the propper technique. The one disappointment is that it will not adjust to allow square filing. I will probably make the required parts to make that happen. It would have been difficult to part with the $200 retail for this tool, but the results obtained come exremely close to justifying the price. My chains are happy!!!

The tool:

FG2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Consistent file indexing:

F1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Easy to read adjustments:

A1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

A2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

The result:

T1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Removing the file holder will allow you to use the clamping mechanism to hold the chain while square filing by hand:

SQ1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

After a long wait I finally obtained a tool that I have wanted for quite a while. What kept me from making this happen sooner was the near $200 price tag. Perserverence paid off and I scored one off of the bay for $50 LNIB. I have owned an older metal and plastic Stihl bar mount filing guide for many years, but I have been mostly disapointed with the results obtained from it. I have hand filed for years and I'm OK at it, but maintaining angles and lengths is tedious. I know a grinder will fix all of that, but they bring there own set of issues. I had hoped that the FG2 would be a solution. It is.

The instructions and setup are fairly straightforward. It took me just a short while to get the jig mounted and ready to file. For the first time I believe I can make chain that has sharpness as good or better than the factory edge. Stihl RS comes out of the package very sharp, and it is hard to improve on. Oregon Chisel chain less so. I have long believed that the reason that RS was difficult to copy the factory edge on was because of the toughness of the steel and the chrome thickness. The FG2 provides the needed stiffness to keep the file from chattering. A smooth cut will provide a keen edge. I now feel that after passing over the FG2 my chains are "blueprinted." It is easy to hold +/-.003" on the cutter length. With the clamp it is fairly quick to sharpen one side. To sharpen the other side the whole setup must be flopped, but after a few instances the becomes fiarly easy. This is no flimsy gadget. It is a precision piece of machinery that will produce excellent results with the propper technique. The one disappointment is that it will not adjust to allow square filing. I will probably make the required parts to make that happen. It would have been difficult to part with the $200 retail for this tool, but the results obtained come exremely close to justifying the price. My chains are happy!!!

The tool:

FG2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Consistent file indexing:

F1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Easy to read adjustments:

A1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

A2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

The result:

T1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Removing the file holder will allow you to use the clamping mechanism to hold the chain while square filing by hand:

SQ1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

I would love to learn how to square file.

I would love to learn how to square file.

I think it's kind of funny that I can freehand square file better than I can round file.

Love mine. Keep a little lube on the nylon bushing.

The bushing is a little tempermental. I have been using FP10 on it.

Nice does it work as well as it looks?:rock:

It works at least that well, if not better. I'm confident that my chains are as good as a round filed chain can be.

I've been playing with the old style deluxe red Oregon bar clamp file guides and have become pretty good with them. I'm about as fast with the clamp on guide as with the guide plates that fasten onto the file. I think RSC is sharper after filing with a good guide than new out of the box.

I've also used the ATOP file guide to convert Orgeon LGX to square with good success.

Seems pretty easy to free hand an existing oregon CL square chain. I need good light to keep the file corner in the beak.

The square filing just takes getting used to.

Maybe this is what I need.:)

Where can you find these at? I have looked on Stihl's website and it said they are not available online.

BTW, how in the heck do you get such good closeup pics of the teeth?

I have an FG2 as well. A quality built jig, that produces excellent results. My chains cut better than new.

Bailey's has a good deal on 20 LPX right now, but it shows up dull. The FG2 makes it right.

I've been playing with the old style deluxe red Oregon bar clamp file guides and have become pretty good with them. I'm about as fast with the clamp on guide as with the guide plates that fasten onto the file. I think RSC is sharper after filing with a good guide than new out of the box.

I've also used the ATOP file guide to convert Orgeon LGX to square with good success.

Seems pretty easy to free hand an existing oregon CL square chain. I need good light to keep the file corner in the beak.

The square filing just takes getting used to.

With my eyes getting worse I need very good light to get it right.

Maybe this is what I need.:)

Where can you find these at? I have looked on Stihl's website and it said they are not available online.

BTW, how in the heck do you get such good closeup pics of the teeth?

Outdoor Power Tools | STIHL USA

The photos were made using a macro lens with extension tubes. This allows a greater than life size image to be made.

Last edited:
What's the main differences between this set up and the old Granberg file-n-joint? 10 degree angle adjustment?
And of course you can file a chain that's NOT on the bar... Which is nice...

What's the main differences between this set up and the old Granberg file-n-joint? 10 degree angle adjustment?
And of course you can file a chain that's NOT on the bar... Which is nice...

I would say that it is the main difference. The FG 2 clamps the chain quite firmly, reducing chatter and increasing accuracy. Will the FNJ not do the 10 deg down angle?

I would say that it is the main difference. The FG 2 clamps the chain quite firmly, reducing chatter and increasing accuracy. Will the FNJ not do the 10 deg down angle?

Honestly, I've not noticed it having an adjustment...:confused: But I'll check now... It's hanging on the shop wall and never gets used... The way it locks onto the bar is awkward at best... More suitable for cleaning gullets... Just always seemed like a clunky apparatus I inherited from my father, so I use a roller guide or just hand file.
Now I need to get it down and try it...

That is the Granberg. I was just looking at it on the GI website and it does appear to have the 10 deg. adjustment. I have never used one but I know many people think it performs well. As I said earlier I had a bar mounted filing guide and I was disappointed with the results, but the Granberg may be much better than the one I have. I believe the advantage in the FG 2 lies in the sturdy clamping setup.

That is the Granberg. I was just looking at it on the GI website and it does appear to have the 10 deg. adjustment. I have never used one but I know many people think it performs well. As I said earlier I had a bar mounted filing guide and I was disappointed with the results, but the Granberg may be much better than the one I have. I believe the advantage in the FG 2 lies in the sturdy clamping setup.

Yea I like the looks of that FG2 better also. I'd rather have one that locks the chain down instead of locking onto the bar. I hope I can run into one sometime.

Are they still available/produced, or are they a curio now? I do love my Granberg, BUT it's a PITA sometimes having to mount it to the saw...:chainsaw:

Finally got around to digging the Granberg out... And you are correct, it's fully adjustable beyond 10 degrees.
It appears to also accept the double bevel type files... AKA "not round"... Cool, but just as clunky as I remembered...

attachment.php

attachment.php

The FG absolutely has the advantage as far as holding the chain tight.

I too have been eyeballing one of these. Nice review and pictures. Great snag for $50.

My CAD has all but been cured and as I sell my saws I am picking up better tooling for my shop. This is a tool that I have wanted for a while and after your pics and review there is no doubt I will have one. I have the granburg and it works very well but it's just not as convenient. Great buy! :clap:

Latest posts

Back