The New MS880 AS Compared To An 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(QUOTE="Mastermind, post: 5196969, member: 43167"]Hell........your saw ain't the limited one.[/QUOTE]
You was throwin me for a loop there:dizzy:

I still think two MS170 coils would work.

What did I get fer dinner?

Never mind don't answer that.

Pictures of the wench to get it on yer bench.

I still think two MS170 coils would work.

What did I get fer dinner?

Never mind don't answer that.

Pictures of the wench to get it on yer bench.

I use her a lot. :)

the-wench-liezel-rubin.jpg

I'm very curious to see how this pans out. I bought a stainless muffler 880 brand new a few years ago. There are literally zero trees to "need" an 880 for around here but that's beside the point. The most use it saw was on a 70"+ oak trunk. The rest of the hours were with a 30" bar cutting "small" stuff.

I was actually kinda impressed how well the 880 ran bone stock. Not fast by any stretch of the imagination but you could literally rip the damn handle off before it would stall the chain with a 41" bar burried. Fast forward to me reading this site and learning of the carb size differences and what not and the tinkering began. I bought a brand new 088 carb(they are now NLA as far as I know), a 441 coil and added a husky deflector on the LH side of the muffler and cut the internal "duct work" out and proceeded to waste about 3 or 4 hours of my life farting around with it and eventually putting it all back to stock, sans the muffler mod. The short of the story is, I never could make it run right with the larger carb and new coil. I don't know if I got a bum carb from brand new or what but I could never get it tuned in to where I was happy with it. It always seemed like it was running out of fuel like a low metering lever or tank vent problem. I tweaked the metering lever a smidge and it would run good for a brief period and then die like it was emptying the carb. A few pulls later it was running again and same thing. Put the stock parts back on and it was right back to running great again.

I ended up selling the saw and replacing it with an NOS 880 with cast muffler and it has been holding the shelf down now waiting for another monster tree to pop up so I havent even put it in wood yet to compare the power characteristics. This thread certainly has my interest though.

Yo Ted.......

The pistons are the same......right down to having the same part numbers inside.
Well poop on a platter. I even checked today..old version was back ordered and new version was in stock at the distributor. No supersedes either. I can't remember the part numbers off my head...gimme a few and I'll go downstairs and get on the computer. Shark tank is on now. Only show on TV I like. Good to know though...the prices were the same too.

She's sorta boney.....

OK, who am I kidding? That's just fine. :D

Nothing a couple of happy meals and some Chinese food wouldn't cure, might make her gassy.

Now to some serious stuff.

I bought a box of 084 about five years ago and rebuilt it. new seals, piston, cylinder, blah, blah, blah. I have only used that big hummer twice. One was for a big sycamore stump and the other time was a big white oak. One has to have a need for a saw that big but I look forward to the magic coming out of Tennessee on these two.

I should have sent him another box of 084, wait a minute, somebody missing fingers already did that.

Nothing a couple of happy meals and some Chinese food wouldn't cure, might make her gassy.

Now to some serious stuff.

I bought a box of 084 about five years ago and rebuilt it. new seals, piston, cylinder, blah, blah, blah. I have only used that big hummer twice. One was for a big sycamore stump and the other time was a big white oak. One has to have a need for a saw that big but I look forward to the magic coming out of Tennessee on these two.

I should have sent him another box of 084, wait a minute, somebody missing fingers already did that.
I use mine quite a bit, we sometimes get calls from tree companies that get involved in trees that are to big for them to handle.

Can't wait to see how she handles dem big logs after she gets back from Tennessee

Back