Vintage Stihl chainsaws....what do you guys suggest.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I no longer own this 030. It's all original except the paint on the handle, muffler, and letters.

258025976_2stpq-M.jpg

257267368_5MGeN-M.jpg

257267664_3cY2p-M.jpg

257267219_Yzmky-M.jpg

257267488_fCXqt-M.jpg

They're all just awesome. Those 090s are sick. I love that 048. I hope to find a nice one one day. Need a good 056 too. And I'll take an 090. Should I write you a check? :D

Oh just happened to think of these two how about the 042 and while not as vintage as the others the 036 the original non pro labeled one was a fast light fun saw. I remember one of our neighbors when I was 8 or 9 had a stihl 042 and it had a nice sound to it when he was cutting.

Oh just happened to think of these two how about the 042 and while not as vintage as the others the 036 the original non pro labeled one was a fast light fun saw. I remember one of our neighbors when I was 8 or 9 had a stihl 042 and it had a nice sound to it when he was cutting.

The 042 and 048 are pretty much the same saw, different displacement.

Well, I am not one to get into an argument on the internet, but I certainly disagree with you. The Stihl 040 and then the 041 came out when the Homelite xl-12 family and Mac 10 series were king in the medium saw category (approx 60cc).

I know that these saws were simply inferior to the first 040/041 Stihl. The Stihl 040/041 ran better with more power than either of the offerings from these other saw companies. Quite honestly, there was no comparison.

Once the 041AV came out, the other brands simply had nothing with which to compete.

The lumberjacks FLOCKED to the 041AV,,,,,for good reason.

Bob

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've ran 041's, and they didn't "run better with more power" than a Super XL-Auto to where "there was no comparison" in my experience. Maybe things were different back east, but Lumberjacks (we call 'em Loggers out here) out west didn't '"FLOCK" to the 040/041. At least that's not what the old Loggers I've talked to tell me. There was a gradual switch from the big Homelite and McCulloch saws to those from Stihl and Husky, but that by the time that happened the 041 was an 'old saw' as well.

Out here, those smaller saws (60cc class) were and are mostly used for clearing, farm work, and urban tree removal rather than for logging. Again, those users switched brands due to reasons other than performance. The "Homelite and McCulloch saws were just outperformed by the European makers, and that's why loggers dumped 'em in droves" myth is just an 'urban legend' of the chainsaw community. That's not to take away anything from the European saws however. It's just that the 040/041 didn't fly into the PNW woods with a big "S" on their chest get all the Loggers to "flock" to them...:D

Last edited:
How could I have forgotten the 076 Super?

446845256_QAuVf-M.jpg

Here's what I started with. I had parts of 3 saws. I built mine starting with a set of NOS cases, and new piston as well.
440015997_Hwebw-M.jpg

This is the very first cut made with the "new" saw.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EYfcEVNSOE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've ran 041's, and they didn't "run better with more power" than a Super XL-Auto to where "there was no comparison" in my experience. Maybe things were different back east, but Lumberjacks (we call 'em Loggers out here) out west didn't '"FLOCK" to the 040/041. At least that's not what the old Loggers I've talked to tell me. There was a gradual switch from the big Homelite and McCulloch saws to those from Stihl and Husky, but that by the time that happened the 041 was an 'old saw' as well.

Out here, those smaller saws (60cc class) were and are mostly used for clearing, farm work, and urban tree removal rather than for logging. Again, those users switched brands due to reasons other than performance. The "Homelite and McCulloch saws were just outperformed by the European makers, and that's why loggers dumped 'em in droves" myth is just an 'urban legend' of the chainsaw community. That's not to take away anything from the European saws however. It's just that the 040/041 didn't fly into the PNW woods with a big "S" on their chest get all the Loggers to "flock" to them...:D

Yes, I can certainly agree to disagree. No problems with that. I am not a disagreeable guy.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding our locations and experiences. I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where there is very little need for saws bigger than 60cc as the large trees have been gone for a century.

The large White Pine were all harvested in the later 1800's and were largely used to rebuild Chicago after the "Great Fire". After that most of the hardwoods were done in as well. They floated the Pine down rivers to a mill. They had to build narrow gauge railroads to get the hardwood out, as it didn't float as well.

My experience is from the mid 1960's to present, and when I first started to know saws, the XL-12 and mac 10's were the most used saw. But when Stihl came to town, all the "Jacks' switched over to them. I know this because I worked in a saw shop as a kid. The "loggers" at that time mostly made a living by cutting spruce, balsam and popple for pulpwood.

The 040 started the trend, but when the 041AV came out, well they flocked into our shop to buy them. We had a basement full of trade ins that were blue, red, and yellow! You literally couldn't give them away! Haha! The boss eventually used to say, "Oh, alright, I'll give you ten bucks on trade, But You Keep The Saw"!

The 041AV cemented the deal, as the comfort level was far superior to any other brand at the time. You remember that no other brand offered AV at the time. So, I guess I could say that AV was the reason for the stampede in the end. We then got a Jonsededs dealer in the area, and they had a following as well. I don't believe Husqvarna came around till after I was gone from the saw shop.

Bob

Last edited:
My experience also. I ran an XL12 and SXL Automatic for years cutting firewood for 2 households.Great saws, still have them.
Then I bought an 041FB from my BIL for $50 and have never looked back.
It out performed the Homie's by quite a bit.

Then it broke and brought me here......................................

IMHO, the 07S is the coolest old Stihl ever made. There's not another saw like it that I'm aware of.

Bsnelling,
I was curious to see what you think is the coolest Sthil ever made and checked it out using Google.
This is one very rugged, small and utilitarian looking tool.
75cc and top handle with some angle to go cut way deep against the ground or in between logs.
This is not for the faint of heart.
Stihl 07 Chainsaw

Last edited:
How could I have forgotten the 076 Super?

446845256_QAuVf-M.jpg

Here's what I started with. I had parts of 3 saws. I built mine starting with a set of NOS cases, and new piston as well.
440015997_Hwebw-M.jpg

This is the very first cut made with the "new" saw.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EYfcEVNSOE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, now I am in awe.

Yes, I can certainly agree to disagree. No problems with that. I am not a disagreeable guy.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding our locations and experiences. I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where there is very little need for saws bigger than 60cc as the large trees have been gone for a century.

The large White Pine were all harvested in the later 1800's and were largely used to rebuild Chicago after the "Great Fire". After that most of the hardwoods were done in as well. They floated the Pine down rivers to a mill. They had to build narrow gauge railroads to get the hardwood out, as it didn't float as well.

My experience is from the mid 1960's to present, and when I first started to know saws, the XL-12 and mac 10's were the most used saw. But when Stihl came to town, all the "Jacks' switched over to them. I know this because I worked in a saw shop as a kid. The "loggers" at that time mostly made a living by cutting spruce, balsam and popple for pulpwood.

The 040 started the trend, but when the 041AV came out, well they flocked into our shop to buy them. We had a basement full of trade ins that were blue, red, and yellow! You literally couldn't give them away! Haha! The boss eventually used to say, "Oh, alright, I'll give you ten bucks on trade, But You Keep The Saw"!

The 041AV cemented the deal, as the comfort level was far superior to any other brand at the time. You remember that no other brand offered AV at the time. So, I guess I could say that AV was the reason for the stampede in the end. We then got a Jonsededs dealer in the area, and they had a following as well. I don't believe Husqvarna came around till after I was gone from the saw shop.

Bob

Well Bob,
I also have to agree that you're not a disagreeable guy. Most brand/saw comparison discussions on AS don't stay this civil. This was a refreshing change of pace. Rep on the way for you. Oh..............................and I'd like to bring my pickup and a trailer to come clear out that 'trade in' stash in the basement!!!:D

My experience also. I ran an XL12 and SXL Automatic for years cutting firewood for 2 households.Great saws, still have them.
Then I bought an 041FB from my BIL for $50 and have never looked back.
It out performed the Homie's by quite a bit.

Then it broke and brought me here......................................

Rep on the way for you too Scoot!:cheers:

Last edited:
i like my 031 it is a good firewood cutter. i am trying to get my hands on a 041 from a farmer.

Well Bob,
I also have to agree that you're not a disagreeable guy. Most brand/saw comparison discussions on AS don't stay this civil. This was a refreshing change of pace. Rep on the way for you. Oh..............................and I'd like to bring my pickup and a trailer to come clear out that 'trade in' stash in the basement!!!:D

Rep on the way for you too Scoot!:cheers:

I too enjoyed the civility, and repped ya back.

You know, I could probably had any number of those old saws that my boss had amassed. I am sure all I had to do was ask, but I didn't want any of that "junk" years ago. They sat and we would rob parts from them to fix customers saws. It was hard to get replacement parts back then, as you pretty much had to go to another dealer and beg them to sell to you. The dealers weren't always of a mind to help their competition back then. Of course there was no such thing as the internet and all it brings, as parts can now be found, if you really want them. Not so back then.

I remember he had several old two man saws in several "flavors", and a couple Wright blade saws. He also had untold numbers of old big heavy Macs and Homelites. Mostly though there were the XL variants and Mac 10 series that would have run with little trouble. I also remember two or three 07's that Brad would have loved to have. Also there were about 6 or 7 08's and many 040/041's that had one ailment or another. When we had time, he would go down to the basement and bring one back to refurbish, and we would tear it down to the crank, and reassemble with all good used or new parts. He usually tried to sell the "used" saws for about half the price of a new one, and gave a 30 day warranty on them.

When the old boss died, his wife was approached by another dealer, and she sold off everything related to saws and snowmobiles. The boss always kept a large inventory of new parts, and I believe the whole shebang went for a song!
What a shame!

Bob

Latest posts

Back