What is the best Climbing Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCat1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey All, New member... first post. I have been out of tree work for a while and just getting back in. I am looking for a strong, reliable, professional grade climbing saw. Used an Echo 302s back in the day which at the time, in my opinion, was an awesome little saw. Pound for pound it held it's own with larger saws and was a torquey little workhorse. A few years ago I picked up an Echo CS-3000 by look and feel alone, but I've never been happy with it's performance. Your experience/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Also... some of my climbing gear could use replacing. Does anyone know a good place to go for this around the California, East Bay Area? Looking for a real store... not a website, so I can put my grubby hands on the stuff before I buy.

Thanx

Hey TomCat1, welcome to AS...the best place for tree and saw info you will find ANYWHERE!

As for the best climbing saw, there are going to be some different opinions...brand loyalty plays a part...but in IMHO the Sthil ms200T is the "Gold standard" of tree saws...fast, light, tough (I have dropped mine outta trees too many times to count)...simply the best Arborist's saw out there.

That being said...they are pricey...new around 600 bones.

The thing is, you can buy cheaper saws more often...your choice.

Bounty Hunter

Best climbing saw on the market is the 200T but stihl just plain rapes you on the price. Some of the climbers I know have recently switched to Redmax and to Solo cuz they cant justify the price of a new Stihl in the down economy. If you have the cash, stihl is the way to go. Cant help you with your other gear. Try a post in the commercial tree care forum above. Good Luck.

I appreciate the input gentlemen, I'll look into Stihl. Never heard of Redmax or Solo. I'll give them a look-see as well.
Thanx

It doesn't get much respect but the Stihl 192t is a good saw. It won't cut with the 200t when the cuts get bigger. But for a lightweight saw it really holds its own.

Mr. HE:cool:

How come nobody has recommended either a 3120 or 880 yet!
Apparently ported and piped they are really handy up a tree.

:yoyo:

How come nobody has recommended either a 3120 or 880 yet!
Apparently ported and piped they are really handy up a tree.

:yoyo:

Shirley you jest!

I've run the MS 880 up in an oak tree, 41" bar buried, sink the bar in and cut, reposition on the ropes, sink the bar in again, three 'bites' each for the top and bottom of the face cut. Back cut was four. That spar shook like a rock star on stage when that chunk hit the ground.

I would be just as happy to never do it again. My arms hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurt. Handling that saw really did feel dangerous in the tree.

Mr. HE:cool:

What does a new 200T go for these days? They were 600 + tax here in Kansas last I checked several months ago. In my town, that ends up being about 650.00 total. If you need one, I could do quite a bit better than that. Or, you could find an 009. A bit heavier, but still a solid performer, and pretty tough. I ran mine fully buried down both sides of a 3 foot oak log at the GTG the other day. 009s can be had pretty cheaply, too. I have several, and would likely part with one.

Oh by the way, welcome to AS!

The Dolmar PS-3410 has a really nice powerband (IMO), and with a price tag of a little under 4 bills, it's an impressive value.

Much appreciated teacherman, but I'm a long way from Kansas.

What's the general consensus on the Stihl MS 192 T C-E?
Comparable to the MS 200 T?

My bad Hddnis...
just realized you already commented on that.

Noticed the MS 192 is about half the price of an MS 200.

They're both top handles...that's pretty much where the comparison stops :laugh:

The MS200T is a much more explosive saw...throttle response is excellent...cuts extremely fast...tons of power for a small saw.

The only thing I've noticed about mine that I don't like is that it runs hot....might be that I'm running it a little too hard though.

For large removals the 200T w/16" bar is the only way to go. For trimming or small limb removals the 192T is sufficient, but why have something not capable of doing any job you might have.

If you can't afford a new 200T, look for a good used one. I just got a nice one from your area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200407326679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Any climber will tell you to not scrimp on climbing gear because it's all that's protecting you from meeting your maker. Throw out any old gear and buy new.

Can there be any advantages to purchasing a cheeper saw & having work done to it?

the 200t is one expensive ass saw. It cuts nice but it is too $$.

I have done work that invoved sinking the 16'' bar on my 341 on every cut, sure it aint as fast but it really dose allright. If one bought a 192 & ported it, what would he have? somthing comparable in & and performance to the 200t? Less $ perhaps, less power, same power, more power?

If one bought a 192 & ported it, what would he have? somthing comparable in & and performance to the 200t? Less $ perhaps, less power, same power, more power?

You would have a ported homeowner grade saw, probably with a stamped steel rod, and a clamshell engine. Does the 192 even have an adjustable carb? I won't port clamshell engines for anyone else.

I have run a 200T before but never while climbing. i do tree jobs for side work and lately dont do it that often. i bought a husky 334 about 5 years ago for a job and love it. its not nearly as strong as a 200T but it does the trick for me being a hack climber.
this is the only pic i have of it
DSC02218.jpg

there are two best climbing saws.

192t for trimming and limbing.i also use it for chunking out.

200t for chunking out and necessary fast cuts.

i've tried them all and always come back to these two saws.

Latest posts

Back