Dolmar ps420 sighting.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the new 420 today, revs up quick. Starts too easy.
I am not a fan of primer bulbs but i may have to make an exception.
My dealer has them for 289 with a 16 inch, Same price as the 460.

Does the 460 have a plastic case?

Crankcase? No, it's aluminum.

The cases are magnesium on the PS-350 & PS-420
Aluminum cases on the PS-460 & PS-510

Steve

Fixed the mistake 9-12 7:14PM

Last edited:
DSCF0059.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0065.JPG

DSCF0066.JPG

DSCF0081.JPG

Last edited:
WOW....Thanks 166....I'm sure that took quite a bit of time.....:cheers:

I see the inside looks as nice as the outside.....Regardless if they have a problem converting kg to lb......there is no doubt they build a fine saw. :)

Who's going to be the first here to buy one?....It could be me. :D
But that :censored: Ultra will probably beat me to it......If so, would you please leave some for the rest of us.

So the new PS350 & PS420's showed up today via freight truck. I unloaded them, signed the paper, pulled one out of the box, walked inside and sold the truck driver some saw supplies.

So we looked the saw over and liked the quality & features of the saw then decided to run .325 microlite B&C first. The PS420 accepts the same clutch drum as the PS460-510-5100s, so I installed a takeoff .325 spur drum off a ps460 and installed it on the 420 along with a 15" bar and 95VP chain.

Gassed it up and it started on 2 pulls and sounded pretty good. Messed around with the starter a little bit then took it to the woodpile. The saw was very impressive for power & torque for a 42cc engine and the next thing I knew it was out of fuel.

Brought it back inside let it cool down, pulled the muffer apart and removed the cat and installed a new muffler cover from parts stock. Refueled the saw and took it back out to cut and it seemed to gain a little more power & touque. Tomorrow i'll swap it over to a rim sprocket and a 8 tooth rim and try it again.

The saw has quality componets all the way through it except for the stock bar & chain.

Pro features:
Adjustable oiler
Adjustable carburetor with a limiter cap on the HS and none on the LS jets
Magnesium cases
Modular built muffler
Walbro Carburetor
Side chain tensioner
Inboard clutch
Metal spike bar
Knob to remover the filter hood
Link throttle instead of cable
T27 Torx fastners
HD Clutch

My complaints on this saw would be:
3/8 lo pro b&c on a saw of this power
The top cylinder hood is pain to take off. (Only reason to remove this would be to pull the cylinder or change a coil)
And it's not the weight of a PS401 but it's a lot more saw with a lot more power!

Steve

Last edited:
WOW....Thanks 166....I'm sure that took quite a bit of time.....:cheers:

I see the inside looks as nice as the outside.....Regardless if they have a problem converting kg to lb......there is no doubt they build a fine saw. :)

Who's going to be the first here to buy one?....It could be me. :D
But that :censored: Ultra will probably beat me to it......If so, would you please leave some for the rest of us.

The demonstrator that I had my hands on a few weeks ago never made it back to the dealer. It was new when I got it to play with. I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the muffler.:monkey:

My complaints on this saw would be:
3/8 lo pro b&c on a saw of this power
The top cylinder hood is pain to take off. (Only reason to remove this would be to pull the cylinder or change a coil)
And it's not the weight of a PS401 but it's a lot more saw with a lot more power!

Steve

Yah, I have been asking for a 3/8 low profile 3/8 B&C on a 420 and the Dolmar dealers say that they come with .325. I run 3/8 low profile on my 025 and 250 and ditched the .325s. I would run it with a rim sprocket and 3/8 low profile 16 inch bar and pull the cat. O/w looks OK.

And hey, about all these pictures you posted? I thought that there was a rule on AS about not posting hottie pictures any more!!!! I mean, you have some shots of them naked, or with their tops off! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back