Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight we ran my 4000 against Niks ported 361. Unfortunately we couldn't run the same chain. The chain on the 361 was clearly superior. Even still, the 4000 was only 7.5% slower than the 361. You'll hear in the video that you can pull the 4000 way down lower in RPMs. The 361 maintained it's cut times even when lugged down. I'm not sure how to interpret this. You can hear that the 4000 is cutting at a much lower RPM. Does that mean it's got a broader powerband that allows it to lug down that far, or, does that mean it does have as much as the 361 to keep its RPMs up? Anyway, here's for your viewing pleasure.

Oh, we also threw a clip of Andys nearly mint Skil branded 3400. It's a sweet running saw as well. It's bone stock.

Another thing I found impressive is that Niks 361 is nearly as fast as a stock 7900 in this wood. That's impressive! A stock 7900 cut 13.25-12.30 seconds, where as the 361s best time was 13.25. The 4000 was only another second back at 14.25 seconds.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPz_6bzLs5M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPz_6bzLs5M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now what was that you were saying the other night about no way the 4000 would run with a ported 361?????

If you were to swap chains....................................?????

Mike

Pretty impressive Brad. Now I would like to see that comparison again. This time with 24 or 28" bars on both and have them buried in some hardwood.

What do you think the outcome would be? I'm curious.

I just finished up my 4200 rebuild tonight and it cranked up easily and sounds really good. Sounds so good I'm kinda wishing I would have done some body work on it and gave it a new coat of paint. I guess it don't matter though as looks can be deceiving.

Too dark out now to try it out, but I'll get it in some wood this weekend. I think its going to be a very strong runner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty impressive Brad. Now I would like to see that comparison again. This time with 24 or 28" bars on both and have them buried in some hardwood.

I really don't know. This 361 is a stump puller too.

BTW, the 4000 is turning 14K. I actually saw 14,400 but it was too lean at that point.

I just finished up my 4200 rebuild tonight and it cranked up easily and sounds really good. Sounds so good I'm kinda wishing I would have done some body work on it and gave it a new coat of paint. I guess it don't matter though as looks can be deceiving.

Too dark out now to try it out, but I'll get it in some wood this weekend. I think its going to be a very strong runner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DANG!!!

I knew I should have tried harder to talk you out of that old "junker" the night you called me about it!!!LOL

Looks good Mark, can't wait to get my hands on that one.
Reckon how it would do against a ported 4000?????

Mike

Mark, another nice one in the collection! I'm expecting to see a sign out on 30, Modified Mark's Poulan Museum 150 Miles ahead, any time now. LOL:hmm3grin2orange: You'll have to try take a picture of all your Poulans together!, not to mention all the other saws you have collected.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Bob, I have my eye out for a bigger one too. Might have a line on one you never know though.

Mike, if another great member we all know wouldn't have stepped up with some parts help, it would probably have been yours by now. It runs good so far, but like I said, it will have to wait a couple days yet to hit the wood. You think it will pull this 28" bar?

Greg, I guess I should take a Poulan group photo sometime. As far as all the saws, I guess I never bothered as the group changes sometimes. Some come and some go.

150 miles, away? , I still have not forgotten about trying to get over this spring. It really aint that far is it?

Mark, 150 miles, away? , I still have not forgotten about trying to get over this spring. It really aint that far is it?

Not sure how far it is? Was just a wild guess. I think your pretty close to Chicago area, can't recall. My grandfather always said about being out here where we are, It was 175mi. to Cleveland and 175mi. to Chicago. When them two grow together, we'll be right down town! :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Drug all the Poulans outside..

Since it was so nice here today, I was in the back of the shop putting some things away and I thought I would drag all the Poulans out in the daylight to take a photo of them all together since I have had several request to do so.

Bout worked up a sweat, not really realizing how they accumulate.

So here they are, there all runners except the 245 in the front row which is the next Poulan project.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back