Combo Helmets...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi.
Wanting to get one of those combo helmets and am looking at getting a Husky one through the local dealer. Problem is he doesn't have any in stock to try on and I've got a fat head.
Just wondering if any of you guys have a melon around 62cm and if so has the Husky helmet got enough room/adjustment to fit before I order one?
Also, what cases are any of you guys using to fit a PS-7900 in? I tried to fit mine in a Husky case and the spike bars were about 2" too long.
Thanks in advance and any help/advice appreciated.
Matt.

I have the Stihl helmet and it has a huge range of size adjustment...

These helmets have always intrigued me. Everything you need in one package. But I just sweat too badly. So I prefer a plain helmet, ear plugs, and Bug Eyes glasses that have a wire mesh for the lenses. I can drip sweat on them and not have to wipe them off. If it weren't for having to constantly wipe sweat, I'd likely use one of these helmets. BTW, someone mention a more expensive one from Baileys that's better built than the Peltors.

I just want to pass something on from a study done on the wire mesh protective goggles used in airsoft(my son got me into that sport...).

While the hard plastic BB projectiles did not penetrate the mesh, some fragments will break up and make it through and the paint on the wire will fracture into chips and make it to your eye... Liken the plastic projectile to wood chips & you may want to keep safety glasses between your eyeball and the mesh. I use the mesh visor and ESS saftey glasses.

Take care

2Door

Thanks for the heads up. The problem is that I'm constantly dripping sweat on the lens and end up going without. I expect most of the debris to be wood chips moving at less velocity than a paint ball, or twigs trying to poke me in the eye when moving around the tree. I figure these are better than nothing.

I have used cheap versions .... don't know who made them, I liked them better than the Peltor system, because the ear muffs moved easily and the visor popup and down with ease.

I have used Peltor .... didn't and don't like it for a lot of chainsaw work.

I have used the Rockman (expensive helmet from Baileys)....... and I love it and well worth the money, nothing but quality.

I currently have the Peltor and Rockman. When I am skidding and topping trees while skidding and need a smaller or lower face shield I use the Peltor, as the faceshield does not stick up as high as the Rockman.

The thing I don't like about the Peltor is the earmuff's ability to flip in and out .... they suck and are slow when compare to most any other model including the Husky's. Additionally, the holes in the Peltor face shield allow saw chips and dust to fall into your eyes and you look up to check for falling debris while falling. The first day I used the Peltor, it was 100% for letting debris fall into my eyes everytime I looked up after turning one loose. The squares/holes are too large when compared to other face shields .... in my opinion. If I am going to fall trees with the Peltor I make sure I have sunglasses on underneath.

Now I just use the Peltors for a skidder helmet and I have purchased the radio/mp3 ones from Baileys to put on the helmet system and play music for those longer skids. Now that I do like, LOL.

But for pure chainsaw work the Rockman is tops. I would say for humans with large melons it would work because it is a large helmet. The ear muffs pop in and out with ease and it is very comfortable to wear all day. I think the Rockman is the Cadillac of combo helmets.

Combos make much more sense from a speed and efficientcy point of view, than wearing ear plugs, helmet and eye protection all separately.

In one fluid motion everything is on or off with the combos, but with everything separate it is like watching a person juggle getting everything on, LOL. Plus if you wear a combo you will be cleaner at the end of the day and have cut more wood, because you are not spending time sticking ear plugs in your ears then pulling them out then squeezing them again to stick them back in and loseing them. The large face shield keeps more chips off of your face and neck while the ear muffs keep around your ears cleaner.

I just think the combos make more sense from all vantage points.

My opinion,

Sam

Last edited:
bls,
I understand completely- I have to clean my glasses at each break & I wear a headband in summer. But after having Lasik this Spring, I am even more protective of my eyes. :)

I try to throw safety info out anytime I can in helps it might one day help someone.

My combo is a Stihl but I may look into that Rockman as mine is older and the harness is not so comfortable.

2Door

One shortcoming for me in all the helmets I've seen is the muffs are not that great in terms of NRR. My current setup is a Peltor with Peltor 10 series muffs swapped in. Much quieter than stock, especially with any kind of glasses.

I also use good foam plugs, so that probably makes me a weenie.

back to the question

Hi.
Wanting to get one of those combo helmets and am looking at getting a Husky one through the local dealer. Problem is he doesn't have any in stock to try on and I've got a fat head.
Just wondering if any of you guys have a melon around 62cm and if so has the Husky helmet got enough room/adjustment to fit before I order one?
Also, what cases are any of you guys using to fit a PS-7900 in? I tried to fit mine in a Husky case and the spike bars were about 2" too long.
Thanks in advance and any help/advice appreciated.
Matt.

I have one of those husky helmets
can go real big, lots of adjustment.
that is all

My Husky helmet goes up huge beyond the range of my dome, and I've got a comparatively large head. In my experience the earmuffs are fine, although I often use some earbuds underneath with some savage tunes to further attenuate (or at least replace) engine noise. My only criticism is that the mesh screen is a bit short and I get bits on my chin.

I bought a Husky helmet and Im sure its about as good as any of them, but I doubt it would offer that much protection for a direct kickback to the face. I think there needs to be a helmet with chin strap and combo face gaurd- mesh more like a football helmet. Something lightweight, but sturdy enough to help block kickback.

I put my helmet on and looked in the mirror, there's not much neck protection either. Even with my head tilted down like I was cutting there would stiil be room for a larger face gaurd to help protect the face and neck.

One of the companys should build a good quailty light weight helmet with large sturdy face guard-mesh. It might cost $200-300, it would be worth it for the pros, pricey for the average firewood cutters, but you never know when your going to take a hit to the face.

I bought a Husky helmet and Im sure its about as good as any of them, but I doubt it would offer that much protection for a direct kickback to the face. I think there needs to be a helmet with chin strap and combo face gaurd- mesh more like a football helmet. Something lightweight, but sturdy enough to help block kickback.

I put my helmet on and looked in the mirror, there's not much neck protection either. Even with my head tilted down like I was cutting there would stiil be room for a larger face gaurd to help protect the face and neck.

One of the companys should build a good quailty light weight helmet with large sturdy face guard-mesh. It might cost $200-300, it would be worth it for the pros, pricey for the average firewood cutters, but you never know when your going to take a hit to the face.

Holy cow, you really have been bitten by the PPE bug, LOL.

No one needs to engineer or produce a special chainsaw helmet, you need to just use what you were talking about. Just put some Husky stickers on a football helmet and get some shoulder pads. Pop rivot some sheetmetal around the neck region and you will have your desired system.

I suggest getting your equipment used from the local high school football team. If their colors are of the orange or red variety you are several steps ahead in the looks or fashion department.

Send us videos or pictures of you working in this setup. I'd like to see you use the very large lineman facemaskes with about 1.5 pounds of steel in it, I would think you could just bounce full throttle 660's off of that all day long, LOL.

Just here to help,

Sam

I have the Husqvarna unit that I bought at my local Atwoods farm supply a couple of years ago. I like this unit a lot, fits well and the muffs work well.

I saw a new design of helmet on Ebay UK when searching for a helmet recently.
I think these are probably aimed more at climbers but they look very good, EPS foam is a lot better at impacts, thats why motorcycle helmets use the same system.
If you are interested this is the link.

I too bought one of those Husqvarna helmets and it works very well for me. I also sweat a lot, but with the mesh screen, it's not a problem. My head is fairly large, 7 3/8 and there is a lot of adjustment left.

Holy cow, you really have been bitten by the PPE bug, LOL.

No one needs to engineer or produce a special chainsaw helmet, you need to just use what you were talking about. Just put some Husky stickers on a football helmet and get some shoulder pads. Pop rivot some sheetmetal around the neck region and you will have your desired system.

I suggest getting your equipment used from the local high school football team. If their colors are of the orange or red variety you are several steps ahead in the looks or fashion department.

Send us videos or pictures of you working in this setup. I'd like to see you use the very large lineman facemaskes with about 1.5 pounds of steel in it, I would think you could just bounce full throttle 660's off of that all day long, LOL.

Just here to help,

Sam

LOL!! almost fell out of my chair!!! well said!!

These helmets have always intrigued me. Everything you need in one package. But I just sweat too badly. So I prefer a plain helmet, ear plugs, and Bug Eyes glasses that have a wire mesh for the lenses. I can drip sweat on them and not have to wipe them off. If it weren't for having to constantly wipe sweat, I'd likely use one of these helmets. BTW, someone mention a more expensive one from Baileys that's better built than the Peltors.

Hey blsnelling... you may want to look into one of these. I ride bicycles and I always have sweat running into my eyes. I bought a couple of these, and that neoprene gutter works! They are a little expensive for some people, but to me the price is worth it!http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

I use my old Mac-T hard hat, have impact resistant lenses in my eye glasses, and foam ear plugs (when I think to put them in).
I did however win some Stihl safety gear at a competition this year. It included one of the helmet/ear muff/ screen combo's
a pair of chaps (that would be pair #7)
chainsaw resistant gloves
and a pair of safety glasses.
I doubt I'll use any of it, but I'll put it in the shed with the rest of my stuff.

Andy

I think these are probably aimed more at climbers but they look very good, EPS foam is a lot better at impacts, thats why motorcycle helmets use the same system.
Nice looking helmet but wouldn't have a clue how to purchase from the UK. Whats that funny looking symbol in front of the price? :laugh:

Thanks for the link. Great looking helmet but pricey considering the exchange rate for the UK pound. I probably couldn't land one in Australia where I'm from for under AUD$200.
Might order a Husky as it looks like it'll fit my big head but will keep my eyes open in the meantime.
Thanks to every one for the replies but has anyone got any ideas on what carry case will fit a Dolmar PS-7900?:confused:

Back