Throwline Reels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canopyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A recent thread about storing throwline got me thinking about those of you who use an old auto-rewind fishing reel for advancing your TIP in the tree. But I can't seem to find any info about which ones are better, etc. I notice some models on ebay seem to go for a lot more than others. Maybe because of collector value? Anyone have any thoughts about the different brands and models? Thanks.

Here is the one I am using, I had one passed down to me and found out it wasn't worth much as a collectors item and I don't like auto reels while fishing so it fit the bill.

I think I have around 30' of bull's eye on it, if I had a little less line or a smaller diameter, it would feed better, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it all the way in without catching on the case cause the reel is too full.

attachment.php

Search ebay for "shakespeare auto fly reel"

Really wish I could find the pic I am looking for on the web to show you. I bought a book this week called The High Frontier: Exploring The Tropical Rainforest Canopy by Mark W. Moffett. It has some awesome illustrations and pictorial. On the inside of the jacket is a picture Of Pierre Berner standing on the spar of a tropical tree perpendicular to the trunk shooting a thowline with a recurve bow and arrow with an open reel attached to it. If I was at my desktop computer I would scan it for you. Really cool book if you ever get the chance to check it out.

Alright, thanks for chiming in. I was about to give up my thread as one of those that can't get off the ground. I was eyeballing the shakespeare ones, but can't figure what the difference between an 1821 and an 1837, etc. And then I can't tell you why I was eyeballing the shakespeares over the others. I guess I'll just grab one of the ones that hasn't been bid up to high and give it a shot. I'm not that familiar with bulls eye, I was hoping to get about 30' of 1.75mm zing-it on the reel.

I'll see if I can't check out that book. My grandfather used to make recurve bows, and I still have a couple. If you do get a chance to scan and send or post the pic, that'd be great.

Alright, thanks for chiming in. I was about to give up my thread as one of those that can't get off the ground. I was eyeballing the shakespeare ones, but can't figure what the difference between an 1821 and an 1837, etc. And then I can't tell you why I was eyeballing the shakespeares over the others. I guess I'll just grab one of the ones that hasn't been bid up to high and give it a shot. I'm not that familiar with bulls eye, I was hoping to get about 30' of 1.75mm zing-it on the reel.

I'll see if I can't check out that book. My grandfather used to make recurve bows, and I still have a couple. If you do get a chance to scan and send or post the pic, that'd be great.

I am guessing that the difference is in how big the reel is. If you can find a chart that lists what weight line the reel is designed for, it will give you an idea the size. 6 weight line is middle of the road for fly fishing, 8 and 9 weight is probably as big as it will get 4 weight will be pretty small. If I get a chance I will look for you to see what number mine is.

Following Up

So I ordered a Shakespeare 1837 off ebay for about $10 plus shipping. Looked nice, still with a box. Took it apart and it was gunked to high heaven with sand and old grease. Surprised it even still worked (but it did). Thoroughly cleaned and oiled it. Holds about 60' of Zing-It easily and works amazingly well. Can't wait to take it into the tree.

Question though for Ghillie (and anyone else that uses one), how do you attach it to your saddle? For now I've used some accessory cord to tie to the rod mount and make a loop that I can snap on my saddle. Wondering if there is any better way someone has come up with.

attachment.php
attachment.php

So I ordered a Shakespeare 1837 off ebay for about $10 plus shipping. Looked nice, still with a box. Took it apart and it was gunked to high heaven with sand and old grease. Surprised it even still worked (but it did). Thoroughly cleaned and oiled it. Holds about 60' of Zing-It easily and works amazingly well. Can't wait to take it into the tree.

Question though for Ghillie (and anyone else that uses one), how do you attach it to your saddle? For now I've used some accessory cord to tie to the rod mount and make a loop that I can snap on my saddle. Wondering if there is any better way someone has come up with.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I put a zip tie through two of the holes in the casing (where you can see the throwline) and made a loop with it about an inch and a half long. I used zip-ties so they would break away if the rig got caught on a dropping limb.

I did the zip-tie so that the trigger on the reel hung down like you have it oriented in your pictures. EDIT: then I use a mini biner to put it onto my accaessory lop on the harness

BTW, love the grappel hook.

Very cool looking setup! Where did you get the grapple from?

newtribe

Wouldn't you know it, they came out with a 3rd generation design a couple months after I bought the second generation. It works great though, I can only assume the new one is better.

I've figured out two ways to use it, maybe there's more. The first is what I normally do and just involves swinging it out and it quickly wraps itself around the line you're trying to pull to you. The second is credited to Moss (and maybe he learned it somewhere?) and works if space is tight or there is a long distance. Throw the throwbag over your target branch/crotch. Lower it enough that there is enough length to get it doubled back to you. Then tie the grapple on the throwline (butterfly knot, then girth hitch to the grapple is how I've been doing it.) Then continue to let out your line until the grapple is a few few feet from the branch/crotch. You can then let the grapple drop and swing and usually catch the line on the otherside. Then pull it back to you. The grapple slides to the bag eventually and you end up with both in your hand ready to run you climb line.

The pain was always stuffing the throwline back in when you're up in the tree. Now that problem is solved....

newtribe

Wouldn't you know it, they came out with a 3rd generation design a couple months after I bought the second generation. It works great though, I can only assume the new one is better.

I've figured out two ways to use it, maybe there's more. The first is what I normally do and just involves swinging it out and it quickly wraps itself around the line you're trying to pull to you. The second is credited to Moss (and maybe he learned it somewhere?) and works if space is tight or there is a long distance. Throw the throwbag over your target branch/crotch. Lower it enough that there is enough length to get it doubled back to you. Then tie the grapple on the throwline (butterfly knot, then girth hitch to the grapple is how I've been doing it.) Then continue to let out your line until the grapple is a few few feet from the branch/crotch. You can then let the grapple drop and swing and usually catch the line on the otherside. Then pull it back to you. The grapple slides to the bag eventually and you end up with both in your hand ready to run you climb line.

The pain was always stuffing the throwline back in when you're up in the tree. Now that problem is solved....

Pretty cool CB! I'll have to come over and take a look at it. My #2 (the one who helped and went up first) made me promise to get him a climbing setup after we left. He said he really liked going up. I'll have to get the info of where you got your.

I hardly ever use a throwline once I am up but this would sure make it simpler to do so. Can you bring it on Saturday so I can try it out?

Latest posts

Back