3120XP Gone WILD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with ya Roland on the sharp chain being the best mod. I still have yet to master the filing of a razor sharp chain. Mine cut good, but I have used filed chains done by other people and they are a lot better. Porting is a powerful tool, such as JJ case, but most just have it done for fun and bragging rights. We all want that saw that just puts others to shame and a big smile on our face. How many videos have you seen on here and other places of ported saws where the chain just sucks? Almost every week it seems. So you may be old school Roland, but your argument still has weight and is warranted.:cheers:

I use a grinder on most of my chains, mostly because it so quick. When i do take the time to sharpen by hand i can tell. I cut in a lot of dirty conditions so the grinder saves a lot of time, If i cut clean softwood all day i could see filing by hand and getting it perfect.

I have a grinder but still know how to file a chain... a lot of people don't.

I'm really enjoying the interaction as well. I respect all the opinions stated so far and understand the different points of view. This is an example of a thread that has gone off in a slightly different direction but a good one.

I'm really enjoying the interaction as well. I respect all the opinions stated so far and understand the different points of view. This is an example of a thread that has gone off in a slightly different direction but a good one.

most threads go off in a silly direction, except the ones that starts off in such a silly direction they cant get silly-er...

wow

:blush:Thats a hell of a saw dude... I'd like to have some "alone-time" with that baby, lmao...

Most of the time I cut green wood and with green wood I dont have much problem keeping a sharp chain and the extra rpms are nice. When I am stump cutting or cutting some old dry hardwood with lots of dirt I run the saw rich at a lower rpm cause I know my chain isnt going to be up to par. If I was cutting for a living there is no doubt in my mind I would be running a ported saw but you should know how to tune the carb if youre going to run a ported saw.

Hey Brad I didnt know you could have a fixed jet modified with an H jet and screw. Thats pretty cool and you have done an awesome job on that 3120 I think a few people have forgotten it was a clean up from a port job gone bad.

I didn't know you could have a card modded like that. Where do you have to take them to have that done? Can any old fixed H carb have that done to it?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention them or not. However, this is a great resource for guys looking for an adjustable carb that's otherwise not available. I sent it to Bertrand Hotsaws in CA. I think they do work for the Stihl Timbersport guys. From what I've been told, they're top notch. I'm not on the racing scene, so I'm only going by reference. They only charged $25 + return shipping.

Good info, Brad. I'd rep you if I could.

I've shied away from the big Huskies due to the fixed jet issue, but now that there is an affordable fix, I'll be more open to getting one.

Latest posts

Back