Pine tree trimming, need help and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some help here. I have 6 of these large white pines that need some trimming, not wanting to kill em, so I need advice.
Trees are 65-70 feet tall. No disease present, will probably have the dreaded bag worms later in summer, but not yet present.
My goal is, to clear the bottoms where I can mow under them. There is also a fence about 20 feet behind these trees that I need to clear to, wanting to get some of this cleared back out to enjoy "more" of my property.
Looking closer at trunk, I think I need to cut about 6 feet up from ground (this will involve cutting approx 20-25 branches off each one.) Is it ok to just cut off at the trunk and leave them alone, or will I need to doctor the cut-offs from the trunks.
Even cutting 6 feet up, I will still have branches hanging down, and I was wondering what is the best way to trim just the branches, or will snipping on the branches kill the entire limb? I do not want to go any higher than 6 feet up (really didn't want to go that high) unless absolutely necessary. I have also include a pic of a cypress that I want to do the same thing to. Thanks for any help.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Have to agree with TreeCo.

But see it done ll the time.....Lawn mower itius. Ruining a beautifull stand of trees, so someone can mow up to the trunk.

Man, your white pines are stunning.

Now to ruin the Landscape Value of your trees....limb them up.:deadhorse:

Really hoping my white pines grow as majestically as those some day. Too bad the deer and rabbits annihilated most of my small 3' tall white pines last year. Arrrrgggh. The Winchester option seems more tempting each day...

People, you're not telling me what I want to HEAR!:cry:
It is not just lawn moweritis, there is approximately 20 feet behind the trees to my fence, this area has become infested with overgrowth, and I want to clear this area also. I am going to go with the consensus of what is heard. So, if you're telling me DON'T CUT, what about trimming? What is the safest way to trim the branches? Thanks for the compliments, these trees were planted in 1978.

By "trimming" a white pine, you'd be cutting off the terminal end of the branch. What this will do is make the branch grow unevenly and awkwardly, and will actually make the bottom of the tree more "bushy". It's not just these guys on this forum that would give you this advice, I think anyone (who is knowledgeable about trees) would offer the same advice.

If you MUST cut away the branches, then cut them back to the branch collar on the trunk as if you were pruning, this will have a negative impact on the beauty of those trees as other posters have already mentioned. Wait until the dormant season to cut back branches - if you cut them back now during the growing season, you'll open up the white pine to infestation and disease, which could ultimately cause tree decline and death.

Here's an article that explains how to prune evergreens, this applies to pines...

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/bul/bul0644.pdf

As you'll notice in the article, you can safely trim up to 1/3rd of the foliage without reducing the overall vigor of the tree, but it will be detrimental to its appearance.

Its a little scary to see such a big chainsaw in the same pic of such beautiful trees, just don't trim them to the ground that wouldn't look nice at all...Normally a trimming saw is slightly more compact, lol

People, you're not telling me what I want to HEAR!:cry:
It is not just lawn moweritis, there is approximately 20 feet behind the trees to my fence, this area has become infested with overgrowth, and I want to clear this area also. I am going to go with the consensus of what is heard. So, if you're telling me DON'T CUT, what about trimming? What is the safest way to trim the branches? Thanks for the compliments, these trees were planted in 1978.

Someone planted those trees that knew what they were doing. Spaced apart from each other so they can grow tall and wide. 20' to the edge of property line is enough for you to go behind and clean out. Encourage the lower branches to keep growing out and low.

I would start with the vines growing in the 1st pic. Cut the vines as low as you can stand, then come back in a few weeks to try and pull them off.
Maybe a pic of the vine and someone will help you know what type it is or isn't.

Cut the vine only

I think you should take about a 1' section out of that vine growing up the white pine with a pair of loppers, and then let it be. It will die and fall out in pieces in a year or two. A mulch ring to the dripedge will be better to mow up to than the trunk. You ain't gonna get much for grass growing under those pines anyway. Be patient, and you will surely get more input. You did come seeking with an open mind didn't you?

:)

Yes, I am keeping an open mind, and that is why I posted here. The big chainsaw is an illusion, 361 24" bar, and I almost never...never...cut down live trees. I burn about 15 cords firewood a year, and it ALL comes from downed timbers. Thanks for the input so far.

I, also, am of the concensus that these are a BEAUTIFUL stand of white pines and should be nurtured.

Also agree with discretely taking care of the undergrowth that is becoming invasive and a problem.

There probably isn't much grass growing under these trees, but more of a natural litter layer. (?) I wouldn't even augment that with anything imported. I would just let the natural detritus build up in its own time.

Sylvia

I can't stand a tree that I can't walk under and take advantage of the wonderful shade it provides, trees with limbs to the ground are like 80's hair, way out of style...

I can't stand a tree that I can't walk under and take advantage of the wonderful shade it provides, trees with limbs to the ground are like 80's hair, way out of style...

No sir I have to disagree is this tree outta style , this is why its ok to leave some low every once in a little while
Grandby_Oak1a.JPG

No sir I have to disagree is this tree outta style , this is why its ok to leave some low every once in a little while
Grandby_Oak1a.JPG
that picture it like your brain, too damn small........:hmm3grin2orange:

all kidding aside, looks like you can walk under, even looks that someone is standing under it so it's ok by me...

that picture it like your brain, too damn small........:hmm3grin2orange:

all kidding aside, looks like you can walk under, even looks that someone is standing under it so it's ok by me...

Sorry its not geriatric size go get your "READING" glasses and quit your whining

Latest posts

Back