440 Starting Problem (Twinkle)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been starting Twinkle the way I'm supposed to. Using the foot in the handle method. Because I wear these,
attachment.php

This happened. There's a small hole worn all the way through the handle.
attachment.php

So, out with the duck tape. I chose pink. We'll see how this works. I won't be running Twinkle for a few days. Gots to spray paint on trees for a couple of days...
attachment.php

I never thought about that. Looks like youll have to replace the handle if you want one with no holes. Or live with the duck tape. I would wrap more on it though your spikes will pke right through again. And I must say,Wow what a woman. :cheers:

I never not drop start saws. Thats the only way I know how. Drop starting the 395 without the comp release is not easy, but I can do it.

For me drop starting saws is the most natural, this morning I drop started a Stihl 084 w/ a 36" bar, in front of the guy who owns it. He just started laughing, and asked how the hell do you do that? He told me he's never drop started it before.

maybe try glueing/epoxying a piece of aluminun plate on the handle, it will cover the holes and keep more from hapenning.
BTW i always drop start.

Good googly moogly, that poor 440.:cry: :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Twinkle is for work, not to look at!:cry:

I have done the knee thing after Twinkle is warmed up. Unfortunately, Twinkle is used for opening roads up and that means start Twinkle up, cut blowdown up, throw or roll out of road, throw Twinkle in pickup bed, drive till another problem...repeat. Often Twinkle has time to cool off again.

The wedge system sounds like a doer. And I'll practice drop starting but that takes coordination. :(

Note the fairy stickers are still on, even though some delimbing is occurring.

Latest posts

Back