Check out my new splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasoutside

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
OK, I finally did it!

For the past few years I have been renting a splitter from my local rental center and splitting everything I need for the year in one or two killer days. I haven't been able to justify spending the $$$ on a new/used one when I can rent one for about $55/day.

Well, this one popped up on CL and I ended up bringing it home for $300 - feeling good!

When I was at the fellas place I split up a few pieces of maple and it ran just fine. Well not so much when I brought it home. I spent the day splitting up some greenish cottonwood and this thing seems to be a real wimp. Pretty much any rounds from about 8" and bigger the ram ends up squeeling and stopping cold. Not even close to splitting the round. It gets pretty frustrating after a while.

Anyway, I spent $300 on the splitter so I am happy with the purchase. But, I am thinking that I should be getting more push out of it - should I? The engine is a nice running B&S 6HP Commercial/Industrial and the cylinder is 25" long and 4.5" wide.

Any suggestions to get some more pushing power out of it? Or, have I got what I got. If so, thats cool, I still feel like I got a pretty good deal on it.

kevin j

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
4.5 tube od would be about 4 inch bore, which is pretty normal. Should handle most homeowner wood sizes.
get a pressure gauge on it. noise usually means relief valve is s set toolow, or the cylinder seals are bypassing. Usually the seals don't make noise, likely the RV setting.

jasoutside

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
Congrats on your purchase..:clap: That is a rather small cylinder, so I would not expect too much of it. Does beat splitting by hand at times. On the bigger rounds, rather than trying to split them right down the middle, take slices of the outside where it is easier to split.

Thanks man! Yah, it sure beats splitting by hand and way more convenient than renting one once a year!

jasoutside

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
4.5 tube od would be about 4 inch bore, which is pretty normal. Should handle most homeowner wood sizes.
get a pressure gauge on it. noise usually means relief valve is s set toolow, or the cylinder seals are bypassing. Usually the seals don't make noise, likely the RV setting.

I'll prolly need to take it to a shop as I really don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of this stuff. Good info, thanks!

Wood Doctor
OP said, "... Well not so much when I brought it home. I spent the day splitting up some greenish cottonwood and this thing seems to be a real wimp. Pretty much any rounds from about 8" and bigger the ram ends up squeeling and stopping cold. Not even close to splitting the round. It gets pretty frustrating after a while..."
------------
Cottonwood is tough, stringy stuff. Most elm is usually worse. Some wood when dry is a bit tougher that either. Locust comes to mind, but dry Cleveland pear wood explodes like a cherry bomb after you finally get through it with your splitter. TreeCo should be able to verify that by now. :blob2:

I kind of doubt that your splitter could split any large dry pear wood or locust rounds (say 16" dia. or larger)--two of the best firewoods that there are, even if working with straight grain. If crotchwood, forget it.

Henry G.

Henry G.

ArboristSite Guru
I have a new 6.5 B&S engine on mine, similar cylinder size if not same almost unstoppable with rounds over 16" plus. Does the engine blow blue smoke or show signs or being worn out? My guess is its a valve/pressure issue if not....

jasoutside

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
I have a new 6.5 B&S engine on mine, similar cylinder size if not same almost unstoppable with rounds over 16" plus. Does the engine blow blue smoke or show signs or being worn out? My guess is its a valve/pressure issue if not....

Nope, engine runs great/smooth. I believe that the fella that I bought it from put it on brand new not too long ago.

I keep thinking with that engine I should be getting a lot more push, eh!

Thanks, man!!

flewism

flewism

ArboristSite Operative
Is that ram plate running on a tube, pipe? I'd be looking at that pump, is it a two stage pump? Four inch cylinder, 6 hp, 11 gpm two stage pump you will be blowing through cottonwood all day. Sixteen inch rounds of any kind should not stop it period. What is the pump on your splitter?

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Four inch cylinder, 6 hp, 11 gpm two stage pump you will be blowing through cottonwood all day. Sixteen inch rounds of any kind should not stop it period.

Yeah, something ain't right.

But hey, for $300, you did great! A few bucks on repairs and you'll be in great shape! Congrats on the find!

jasoutside

jasoutside

ArboristSite Member
Is that ram plate running on a tube, pipe? I'd be looking at that pump, is it a two stage pump? Four inch cylinder, 6 hp, 11 gpm two stage pump you will be blowing through cottonwood all day. Sixteen inch rounds of any kind should not stop it period. What is the pump on your splitter?

Yup, it is a two stage pump (not sure what kind).

Well that settles it - she'll need to go in for a check up. Thanks guys!

truecountry469

truecountry469

ArboristSite Lurker
check filter theres one inside or somewhere ............. motor runs great hydralics works you said but no power so its a filter inside stopped up or strainer..... one stage you dont hear motor change it stays the same .. 2 stage you hear motor lug down pick up and keep going 6 horse power is enuff my dad got a splitter in 83 had a 4 horse briggs and 2 stage we use to see if we could bogg it down with gum and we couldnt i still have splitter but motor is bad .also if packing is bad it should leak or be very slow some just leak down .. be very careful with hydralics i work with them every day most have 4000 psi but they are big loaders .... 300 dollars remeber u got what you paided for .. ive never seen a splitter made like that... check to see if theres a hose under tank should be pressure line thats where filter or strainer is ....good luck

matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
You can get double what your motors putting out. Idk the rpm rating on the pump but id bring it to the max and you should be better off.
Matt