Oregon chain is cr@p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I run a Stihl 361 and Husky 357xp. Both are as they came from factory 3/8 .058 full comp chisel. The Oregon chain that came on the 357 just sucks compared to the Stihl chain. It goes dull really fast. It sharpens really easy though...soft as butter. I'm switching to Stihl chain when I use up this loop (which won't be long).

I run Oregon chain when I know I'm gonna touch dirt, and Stihl chain for the rest. Always keep a cr@ppy chain for each saw.

WP is fairly hard too at about half the cost as Stihl chain, but the consensus is Stihl chain is the best you can buy. There is a months worth of reading on here about this subject.

I'm real happy with the Oregon chain I've got. I run Stihl chain too, no complaints about it either. For the money the Oregon chain is a far better value.

Mr. HE:cool:

I run a Stihl 361 and Husky 357xp. Both are as they came from factory 3/8 .058 full comp chisel. The Oregon chain that came on the 357 just sucks compared to the Stihl chain. It goes dull really fast. It sharpens really easy though...soft as butter. I'm switching to Stihl chain when I use up this loop (which won't be long).

I truly found the same thing!! I'm really partial to the Huskies, but I run nothing but Stihl chain! It's just plain better......Zombie, I don't know how the dealers are around you, but oddly the Stihl chain is the least expensive here too!

Oh yeah....Another thing too....I think Stihl makes (or packages) the best chain oil too.

I run Oregon chain when I know I'm gonna touch dirt, and Stihl chain for the rest. Always keep a cr@ppy chain for each saw.

You guys are correct that oregon chain is soft, it is easy to sharpen and will cut like heck if you keep it sharp and the wood is good and clean and not super hard. Sthil is by far the sharpest chain from the factory I have ran but way to expensive for me! I run almost all carlton now. Its cheap and hard!
Not as smooth and not as easy to sharpen as stihl or oregon but tough and cheap. If your gonna cut in the dirt give carlton or woodland pro semichisel a try its the way to go, will way out last oregon and is cheaper!

Well I was cutting somewhat dirty downed trees and leaners today so the wood wasn't that nice...but I've cut the same dirty wood with the Stihl and no problems at all. I usually go cutting for about an hour at a time, thinning shelterbelts and cleaning up standing dead stuff, leaners etc. I've got three hours on the 361 doing this kind of work and that chain needed a two file stoke touch up. The Oregon chain has needed 3 sharpenings in teh same amount of cutting time and fairy heavy sharpening at that...like 8-10 file strokes. Its just SOFT. Oh well, I learned what I like. If I ever buy another new Husky I'll get the powerhead only and put Stihl chain on it. Might try Carlton too, thanks for the tips on that brand.

Well I was cutting somewhat dirty downed trees and leaners today so the wood wasn't that nice...but I've cut the same dirty wood with the Stihl and no problems at all. I usually go cutting for about an hour at a time, thinning shelterbelts and cleaning up standing dead stuff, leaners etc. I've got three hours on the 361 doing this kind of work and that chain needed a two file stoke touch up. The Oregon chain has needed 3 sharpenings in teh same amount of cutting time and fairy heavy sharpening at that...like 8-10 file strokes. Its just SOFT. Oh well, I learned what I like. If I ever buy another new Husky I'll get the powerhead only and put Stihl chain on it. Might try Carlton too, thanks for the tips on that brand.

:cheers: The carlton grows on you, I didnt like it at first because it is noticeably harder to hand file, but for the price and the way it holds up I find myself using it almost always now. I love a new stihl chain but their so dang high here that I dont use alot of it.

Was the Oregon chain LG or LGX?

Oregon's new chain "LGX" is much better than LG in terms of hardness & stay sharp. It has blued cutters. In my experience, it's pretty close to Stihl RS/RSC in holding an edge and every bit as fast. I bet your 357 was shipped with LG.

Not ta be a smartass, but welcome to the Oregon chain haters club!!!

Stihl RM or RMC made here in the USofA is the stuff, dunno what is goin' on elsewhere with Stihl chain, as the gang down under find it less durable than Carlton chain which is also Bailys chain.

Linky- http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=woodlandpro 38rc&catID=835

You bieng a Canuck will have better luck with Carlton direct rather than importing chain from Bailys.

You ain't the only one hatin' on Oregon LG or LGX in dirty or silica rich hardwoods. I even dogged out the regional Oregon rep about it the other day, and he just smiled when I told him I'd rather run dull RM backwards than a new LGX chain. It seems that it is a "Known" and that's all there is to it, as I was advised to run another Oregon chain in dirty wood, and with a knowing smile. Cool guy.

I dunno why guys say Carlton is any harder to file than LGX...I like the feedback of the harder chain better, but that's just me.

Keep the LGX for fencerows. When ya bust off a couple cutters on some wire it dosn't hurt quite as much, and it's easier to grind 'em flush.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not ta be a smartass, but welcome to the Oregon chain haters club!!!

Stihl RM or RMC made here in the USofA is the stuff, dunno what is goin' on elsewhere with Stihl chain, as the gang down under find it less durable than Carlton chain which is also Bailys chain.

Linky- http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=woodlandpro 38rc&catID=835

You bieng a Canuck will have better luck with Carlton direct rather than importing chain from Bailys.

You ain't the only one hatin' on Oregon LG or LGX in dirty or silica rich hardwoods. I even dogged out the regional Oregon rep about it the other day, and he just smiled when I told him I'd rather run dull RM backwards than a new LGX chain. It seems that it is a "Known" and that's all there is to it, as I was advised to run another Oregon chain in dirty wood, and with a knowing smile. Cool guy.

I dunno why guys say Carlton is any harder to file than LGX...I like the feedback of the harder chain better, but that's just me.

Keep the LGX for fencerows. When ya bust off a couple cutters on some wire it dosn't hurt quite as much, and it's easier to grind 'em flush.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree with you on the oregon, also I have some of the lgx and cant tell that its any better than lg !

[snip]
I run almost all carlton now. Its cheap and hard!
Not as smooth and not as easy to sharpen as stihl or oregon but tough and cheap. If your gonna cut in the dirt give carlton or woodland pro semichisel a try its the way to go, will way out last oregon and is cheaper!

oh oh, you're going to give Matt/MCW that warm fuzzy feeling saying that, which scares me a bit....:monkey:

Latest posts

Back