Video: Ported MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the MS441 I just ported for Dan, aka The WestSpartan. It's running awesome. It'll hold 11,800 in the cut. Loads of torque. Great throttle response. I didn't run this saw stock, but I say bah humbog on those don't think these respond to mods:clap: The first two cuts are in hardwood that's been down several months and is very hard.

Last edited:
Seems to run real strong Brad. :)

I'm sure he'll be a happy camper when he get's it back home.:greenchainsaw:

Hey Dan. You're welcome to come up Monday and we'll put in some wood. I think you'll be real pleased with this saw. How it got a reputation of not being very strong, or not responding well to mods is beyond me. I wouldn't mind owning one one little bit. But....it's no longer a fuel sipper, lol:greenchainsaw:

Hey Dan. You're welcome to come up Monday and we'll put in some wood. I think you'll be real pleased with this saw. How it got a reputation of not being very strong, or not responding well to mods is beyond me. I wouldn't mind owning one one little bit. But....it's no longer a fuel sipper, lol:greenchainsaw:

Propaganda is how. Why I'm surprized you can pick that saw up off the ground,LOL

She looks to be running pretty strong there, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad, It looks GREAT! I'll be there Monday. I can't wait!!!!!!!!! What was the diameter of that first log? Was the bar burried?

Stihl RSC, just as it was delivered on the saw. I'm sure it'd be faster with an 8-pin rim too. But the torque feels aweful nice with the 7-pin.

I'd like to see that baby with some real sharp square! Half the battle with fast cutting is a good chain. :clap:

what oil does dan run and what did you add to it and why 32/1?

Sick. Just plain sick.

That 441 will run neck and neck with a 7900 no problem. Awesome job Brad! Did you send the piston out for a nice chrome plating?? :laugh:

Awesome Dan. We're gonna run our saws next to eachother REAL SOON!!! I'd really like to take turns milling with each saw and do a good comparison.

Rock on wit dat badass 441 and let'er shake all da junk in da trunk dat she got!!!

:greenchainsaw:

Man LOOK at that thing slice through that pine like BUTTER!!! :jawdrop:MAN I gotta get some money together to get one of my saws ported!!!!

Is it just me - or did that pine tree NOT drop the direction that it was intended to??? It kinda looks like it went 90* from where it looks like the notch was?

Looking & sounding good.

I've never run or worked on a Strato saw yet, but I never really did understand the argument that they wouldn't respond well to modifications. More fuel to the engine should mean more power regardless of design intricacies (to a point, of course).

How would you compare the fuel economy degradation from stock to modded on this saw compared to a non-strato saw (say a 440)? I ask because doing a basic port job on a traditional saw shouldn't really modify its operation much; just allow more fuel to flow. Whereas on a Strato engine, and this is pure non-experienced speculation/conjecture on my part, could it be possible that modified ports and higher-than-stock RPMs could alter the effectiveness of the strato charge itself, therefore further hampering fuel economy (while not necessarily hurting power)? Feel free to gimme a swift kick if I'm talking out of my rear end; I'm just thinking out loud here. Just want to learn as much as I can about these so that if/when I own or have to work on one I'm not completely uninformed.

This 441 sounds and looks good Brad. I was always on the fence about the strato-saws until Tree Sling'r posted the video of the one he did. I think there's plenty of potential in these motors...

Back