Chi-com Chainsaw Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I planned to clear a road at my camp down to my pond (about 1000ft or so.), then clear a section of woods next to the pond to make a picnic spot. I decided to leave my 036 Pro at home and use my new Chinese 52cc saw ($125) for the task.

Most of the road section was pre-existing but overgrown, so clearing was just removing saplings, with a few bigger trees thrown in - everything pretty much under 4-6". The area that I wanted to clear was a typical dense stand of woods - bigger stuff, mostly pine. I cut for about 5 hours - cleared the road and cut/limbed most of the clearing area. I dropped probably 100 or so trees total (200 if you count the lil' guys), and stopped primarily because I couldn't navigate the clearing through the debris - need a big bonfire before I can finish.

I'll tell you - swinging 15 pounds around for the better part of a day, on top of climbing around on downed tree debris and brush is a brutal workout. I'm sore all over. I don't know how you pros do it every day.

I was quite impressed with my generic 52cc Chi-com saw. It runs and cuts far better than the last cheap saw I bought (42cc Crapsman) - and that one still cost more than the Chi-com saw. Power felt about right (~3HP), and it ran/cut great the whole time. It performed flawlessly with the exception of a couple of chain tension issues - my fault though - I forgot to bring my wrench/screwdriver tool with me, so the chain got a little overly loose before I was willing to hike back to the camp, where I had to use a jury-rigged pliers/vice-grips/driver trick to get the bar retainer bolts off and adjust the chain since an adjustable wrench wouldn't fit in the side case depressions - PITA. I ran about 5 tanks (~1/2 gallon of mix) through the saw - it used about 2/3 tank of bar oil to each tank of gas, which seems about right. The saw was running for just about the entire time I was out there - probably about 4 hours of actual run time - not bad for 1/2 gallon of gas. Something did start clanking around in the exhaust at about tank 3 or 4 - I think a baffle came loose in the exhaust can - doesn't seem to affect anything, so whatever it is can't be all that important. I have a spare saw body with exhaust can if I need to swap it out. At any rate, all things considered and at a $125 price point, I'm quite happy with it so far.

JayC

The Chi-com saws are getting better all the time!!!!!

Soon I won't have to spend my hard earned money on that overpriced German garbage!!!!!

Chainsaw Shangri-la is here!!!!!

J/k.... Thanksfor the post Jay.

Hey, JayC do you got any pictures.

No, not yet. I forgot to bring my camera, although by the end I don't think I could've lifted one even if I had one. I'll take some shots next time I go up.

JayC

Three or Four tank fulls and something starts clanging around. No Thanks
I will stick to my 30 year old $50 Rebuild garbage that has cut 10 cords
this past winter and spring without a hickup.

You're very trusting of the Chi-com (whatever that means...) stuff: I would've brought the 036 along just as insurance in case the cheapo one threw a rod.

You're very trusting of the Chi-com (whatever that means...) stuff: I would've brought the 036 along just as insurance in case the cheapo one threw a rod.

chi-com = Chinese Communist

I think some of the older crew here will remember this scene in a classic war movie...

someone needs to watch "The Green Berets" w/ the Duke to get it.....

chi-com k50... Chinese Communist
SKS... soviet made carbine... russian communist...
Ammunition... Czechoslovakian made... Czech Communist

My biggest concern with any of these types of saws isnt if it will be reliable or start or even work well - my biggest concern is whether or not the thing will blow up in my face.

I think Im happy to stay with products Im confident in. If it works for you though, thats all that matters :)

I noticed northern tool is selling some off name saw, powerhorse or something... I imagine those are commie saws as well.

Sad thing is, for the price it might be a good saw, but who services and stocks parts for them?

For $125, myself would buy a poulan or crapsman, at least parts are more universally sourced.

Sometimes a persons budget requires buying the most economical item, I totally get that, but as much as I can, I'll keep my money out of China. :deadhorse:

(unless its the Chinese Buffet a mile from the base, then its money well spent) :hmm3grin2orange:

not picking on anyone, for $125 , you can leave it at camp and if some jerk breaks in and take it, well... its not a $500 Stihl of Husky!

Best wishes and keep the updates coming, Id be interested in seeing it over the long term.

I noticed northern tool is selling some off name saw, powerhorse or something... I imagine those are commie saws as well.

Sad thing is, for the price it might be a good saw, but who services and stocks parts for them?

For $125, myself would buy a poulan or crapsman, at least parts are more universally sourced.

Sometimes a persons budget requires buying the most economical item, I totally get that, but as much as I can, I'll keep my money out of China. :deadhorse:

(unless its the Chinese Buffet a mile from the base, then its money well spent) :hmm3grin2orange:

not picking on anyone, for $125 , you can leave it at camp and if some jerk breaks in and take it, well... its not a $500 Stihl of Husky!

Best wishes and keep the updates coming, Id be interested in seeing it over the long term.

If they are a known brand name knock off i.e stihl/husky sometimes they will fit the stihl/husky parts in case of replacement

If it was me, I might take a look inside the muffler. If the piece is small enough it may work it's way back into the exhaust port when the saw is not running. They will start or pop , & poof trashed piston. Please don't ask how I learned this:cry:
Let us know how that saw holds up. A C

chi-com = Chinese Communist

I think some of the older crew here will remember this scene in a classic war movie...

someone needs to watch "The Green Berets" w/ the Duke to get it.....

chi-com k50... Chinese Communist
SKS... soviet made carbine... russian communist...
Ammunition... Czechoslovakian made... Czech Communist

Just watched the movie Sunday. It was Sgt. Muldoon who spoke those lines.

If they are a known brand name knock off i.e stihl/husky sometimes they will fit the stihl/husky parts in case of replacement

That right there is the biggest reason I try to stay away from that $h!t. They are a bunch of industrial pirates. Don't feel like rewarding that kind of indecent behavior with my $. Now if they want to come up with their own designs and produce decent quality, I might think differently. Just my .02.

That right there is the biggest reason I try to stay away from that $h!t. They are a bunch of industrial pirates. Don't feel like rewarding that kind of indecent behavior with my $. Now if they want to come up with their own designs and produce decent quality, I might think differently. Just my .02.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Thats about my thoughts on this also.

Also, better listen to what the other guy said about the clanging peice in the muffler. A small peice could fall down the exhaust port and destroy your cylinder/piston.

just wait till china's engineering skills catch up to there manufacturing skills

thats my .02 this thread is going to fun watching
BTW did red dawn ever happen?

just wait till china's engineering skills catch up to there manufacturing skills
Why waste time/money on engineering when you can just steal other's designs??

thats my .02 this thread is going to fun watching
BTW did red dawn ever happen?

Not yet, but if it were to happen it would likely be supported in some sectors, rather than repelled.:monkey:

In the sixties, 'made in Japan' was an insult, meaning pos. The political/industrial machine there took offense and made a concerted effort to turn things around. I think they succeeded.

For a bunch of commies, the Chinese may be handing us a lesson in capitalism, with a lot of help from western corporations

Just an thought. I ain't worried, we just need to concern ourselves with the quality of our own endeavors.

copycats

Yes and no. I think all the big name brand expensive saw makers buy each other's products and strip them down and take a peek at them to get info and ideas. Same with all the big car makers.

And for what it is worth, the USA has a past history of copying stuff/pirating from europe back when we were a "developing nation". I thik it is just human nature to get going and to use what "just works" until you get to the point your own facilities are more intact and robust. I know what you are saying though...but that is reality on the ground in a now very universal global economy. I've been dinged by it, back when I was a factory worker, had a few jobs get shipped overseas on me until I got hip and just stopped factory work. You just ain't gonna stop the globalists as they rotate around looking for cheaper labor and cheaper products. Heck, we are all here on the net using computers...anyone got a totally 100% made in the USA computer, anything that doesn't contain a lot of chinese parts?

...just sayin'

Latest posts

Back