Homelite Super XL locked up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerhoundog

Reaction score
Hi all,I am new to the list and I have been reading some of the posts and they are very interesting. my problem is that last weekend I was cutting a tree (31" dia.) and my Homelite Super XL/w.20" bar locked up while idleing. I don't know if I overheated it while cutting the fork of the tree long ways or what. I have been mixing the gas at 32:1 for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. I had noticed the last few months while at an idle sometimes I would hear a little rattling noise.Does anyone have any suggestions as whether I should try and repair it or scrap it. it is only 4 yrs old. If I scrap it what are some suggestions for a replacement. I use it on my farm to cut firewood and removal of downed trees. I cut about 8-10 cords a year. Thanks a lot for any help. Gary Helmstetter

If you heard rattling around. That might be a piece of the muffler inside broke off. I have seen chunks break off & go inside the cyl. & lock it up. with no damage to the piston.Thats what I would check 1st.

Hello, I would suggest takeing off the starter housing and turning the flywheel in reverse and see if the saw unlocks. look for aluminum dust while you have the cover off. I have had screws behind the flywheel back out and grind into in back of the flywheel causing the saw to lock up. Normally it happens when the saw are idling, because at high speeds the screw is shaving the aluminum off the flywheel. The combination of working the saw hard and the vibrations from the saw could cause this to happen. Let me know, Jonathan

A replacement for that saw would be a Husqvarna 55 Rancher, or if you want a cadillac get a 357XP. I would bet your homelite is salvageable, though.

Back