Loving my Hearthstone Mansfield

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC0802

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We had this stove installed over the summer when the dealer was running a sale. My wife loved the look of the stone compared to the other "industrial" looking stoves. I don't think they had the Morso stoves at the time. We decided on a stove the size of the Mansfield because we wanted something to heat the entire house.

Went through the break in process this fall on a couple evenings when it was cool enough to warm the house up a bit.

The we got farther into the fall and when the temps started getting down into the 40s at night, I tried to get fires going and quickly realized that burning this stove, pretty much at all, with those kinds of temps was going to result in us sweltering inside. At night it wasn't bad, warmer than I like, but SWMBO was really cozy, but during the day, with the stove, and the sun beating in through all the glass on the south side of the house, it was pushing upper 70s inside. One morning, SWMBO felt a little cool and was surprised I was going to let the fire go out. So I didn't and when I left Friday afternoon for some obligations with the reserves, it was 84* upstairs.

So, we decided to just let the heat pump get some work until it was cold enough outside to let the stove work without cooking us.

Now that the temps are only in the 30s during the day and have been cloudy, so minimal heat from the sun on the glass, and the nights have been down in the 20s with windchills in the teens, the stove has been going nonstop for about a week. It's very easy to keep the house at least 68-70*. We have a 9 month old and my wife wants the house a little warmer for her sake. I'd prefer a bit cooler to burn less wood and for my home brewing purposes, but I'll make it work.

So, with a full load of oak and black locust, I can top the stove off at 10:30-11:00 and it heats all night. I'm usually up no later than 7:00 and the stove has been a little above or a little below 300* with a nice bed of coals and it's a piece of cake to get a fire roaring again. I usually get that going as soon as I get out of bed and by the time I'm showered and ready to head out the door, I can stuff the stove to the gills and there will be a nice coal bed there around 5 when I get home.

With only a single air control lever to mess with, it's been easy for my wife to handle reloading the stove or even starting a fire herself. We love having the huge glass door to see the fire, a first for us and after last year waking up to nothing in the stove in the morning in the old stove, I love that I can go to bed without worrying about the house being cold if I don't get up in the middle of the night to refill it.

I love all the benefits of the wood heat, but this one was really nice - last Thursday, the temps plummeted and I let the heat pump do its thing that first night. I got the stove going the next morning and when I checked the daily electric usage today, our usage was cut in half after getting the stove going and not using any sort of electric heat.

The stove heats pretty well when it's not real cold out when the surface temp is around 300+, but it's a beautiful thing when it's in the 450-600* range.

Got any pics?

I had to please the wife also, since our stove is the first thing anyone sees when walking into our house. She opted for enameled cast iron. Wood heat is better than sex. :rock:

Got any pics?

I had to please the wife also, since our stove is the first thing anyone sees when walking into our house. She opted for enameled cast iron. Wood heat is better than sex. :rock:

I don't know about that, but speaking of pleasing the wife - she wanted to pull the air mattress out and sleep on it next to the stove and enjoy the view of the stove and the heat among other things. ;)

Crappy cell phone pics with terrible lighting:
58848_469307252323_554472323_7156216_1919133_n.jpg

34435_481447397323_554472323_7422589_2857905_n.jpg

58073_10150102992022324_554472323_7963673_3929997_n.jpg

72156_485401342323_554472323_7492390_8116328_n.jpg

Nice looking stove!

What is the clearance to combustibles requirement? Kinda looks like your next load of wood is a bit too close.

Burn safe, always!

Shari

I don't know about that, but speaking of pleasing the wife - she wanted to pull the air mattress out and sleep on it next to the stove and enjoy the view of the stove and the heat among other things. ;)

Beauty of winter. Hope you had enough wood to keep up the heat.

Nice looking stove!

What is the clearance to combustibles requirement? Kinda looks like your next load of wood is a bit too close.

Burn safe, always!

Shari

It was just there to warm up a bit as it came from the pile outside. Side clearance is 18" from combustibles.

Are you happy with the way the ash pan removes from the front? I've got a H-stone II, 1990 vintage - the ash pan comes out off the end, under the loading door. That works really well for me. Was looking at the new stoves this fall and from what I can see, the ashpan comes off the front on all of them.

Right now I pull the ashpan out, take one step, out the door and dump it in a pail outside. If the pan was on the front I'd have a lot more steps to take, and would be on carpeted floor. How well does that pan come out?

Tim

Are you happy with the way the ash pan removes from the front? I've got a H-stone II, 1990 vintage - the ash pan comes out off the end, under the loading door. That works really well for me. Was looking at the new stoves this fall and from what I can see, the ashpan comes off the front on all of them.

Right now I pull the ashpan out, take one step, out the door and dump it in a pail outside. If the pan was on the front I'd have a lot more steps to take, and would be on carpeted floor. How well does that pan come out?

Tim

I've never used it. I should probably give it a shot, but I haven't heard many people liking it. I just rake the coals to one side and shovel the ash out into a bucket and then rake the coals back to the other side and repeat. Seems to work well. I don't have any carpet around my stove, so I just sweep with a broom almost every day around the stove to get the bit of ash and wood bits from loading the stove.

Temps were down in the teens overnight with single digit windchills and the house never fell below 71* last night. I happened to wake up at 5:10 and threw three small pieces in and there was a huge bed of coals and the wood lit up immediately. I didn't even mess with the air control, just shut the door and went back up to bed.

Tim,

I tried the ash pan today for the first time. I kind of like it. It was nice to keep the majority of the coals rather than just scooping out the best I can with the shovel.

This thing definitely gives 10+ hour burn times. I didn't fill the stove today, but the pieces I put in were pretty big. That was before 7 this morning and I didn't mess with the stove until around 4:45 and there were plenty of coals left to rake, remove the ash, refill with some splits, and get it going with some scraps from around the stove and few pieces of paper. Surface temp was back up to 400* pretty quickly.

With all the sunshine today, along with the stove, the house was 74 in the room with the stove and the typically cooler living room was 71.

I don't think I could be happier with this stove, well, if it fed and cleaned itself, that'd be sweet...

I can't imagine NOT using the ash pan. One advantage of mine is that the back end is open - with no side at all. So I just hold it level as I open the back door, and tip it down and empty it into the pail. I imagine yours must have a similar way to easily dump the ash?

You should not have a problem getting 10 hour burns as long as you have decent hardwood. I usually fill up around 10 PM and have a decent bed of coals at 7 AM, then re-fill. Get home at 5 PM and have plenty of coals left to throw in a few small chunks and get it cranking again.

I set aside my best wood, locust and ironwood mainly, for those bitter cold nights. It was 0 at 10 PM last night, 5 F at 7 AM. I loaded mainly locust and had a roaring bed of coals in the morning. I've had this stove since the fall of 1989 and have put well over 100 full cord of wood through it. Paid for itself many times over - practically every 2 years. We could not keep this old farmhouse warm without it, no matter how much fuel oil we burned.

Good luck! Hope you'll be as happy with yours...

Tim

I can't imagine NOT using the ash pan. One advantage of mine is that the back end is open - with no side at all. So I just hold it level as I open the back door, and tip it down and empty it into the pail. I imagine yours must have a similar way to easily dump the ash?

You should not have a problem getting 10 hour burns as long as you have decent hardwood. I usually fill up around 10 PM and have a decent bed of coals at 7 AM, then re-fill. Get home at 5 PM and have plenty of coals left to throw in a few small chunks and get it cranking again.

I set aside my best wood, locust and ironwood mainly, for those bitter cold nights. It was 0 at 10 PM last night, 5 F at 7 AM. I loaded mainly locust and had a roaring bed of coals in the morning. I've had this stove since the fall of 1989 and have put well over 100 full cord of wood through it. Paid for itself many times over - practically every 2 years. We could not keep this old farmhouse warm without it, no matter how much fuel oil we burned.

Good luck! Hope you'll be as happy with yours...

Tim

Last night was cold, with the windchill it was in the single digits or even negative temps. The stove still had coals in it this morning around 7, but the wood I had inside just didn't allow me to really fill the stove without many air gaps. It was 68* in the hall this morning and 65* downstairs. Not bad, but I prefer it to be a bit warmer for my wife and daughter.

If I'm going to use the ash pan, I have to empty more often than when I shovel. My wife kept the stove going over the weekend while I was gone and it took three trips to get enough of the ash out with the pan. I like how it leaves more coals and less ash dust than when I use the shovel, I just need to use it more often.

I'm starting to see a trend here - the Oct/Nov electric usage was down about 1/3 from the same time last year and the Nov/Dec usage is down a bit over 40%. I have a feeling the Dec/Jan bill could be as much as a 50-60% drop over last year.

We had this stove installed over the summer when the dealer was running a sale. My wife loved the look of the stone compared to the other "industrial" looking stoves. I don't think they had the Morso stoves at the time. We decided on a stove the size of the Mansfield because we wanted something to heat the entire house.

Went through the break in process this fall on a couple evenings when it was cool enough to warm the house up a bit.

The we got farther into the fall and when the temps started getting down into the 40s at night, I tried to get fires going and quickly realized that burning this stove, pretty much at all, with those kinds of temps was going to result in us sweltering inside. At night it wasn't bad, warmer than I like, but SWMBO was really cozy, but during the day, with the stove, and the sun beating in through all the glass on the south side of the house, it was pushing upper 70s inside. One morning, SWMBO felt a little cool and was surprised I was going to let the fire go out. So I didn't and when I left Friday afternoon for some obligations with the reserves, it was 84* upstairs.

So, we decided to just let the heat pump get some work until it was cold enough outside to let the stove work without cooking us.

Now that the temps are only in the 30s during the day and have been cloudy, so minimal heat from the sun on the glass, and the nights have been down in the 20s with windchills in the teens, the stove has been going nonstop for about a week. It's very easy to keep the house at least 68-70*. We have a 9 month old and my wife wants the house a little warmer for her sake. I'd prefer a bit cooler to burn less wood and for my home brewing purposes, but I'll make it work.

So, with a full load of oak and black locust, I can top the stove off at 10:30-11:00 and it heats all night. I'm usually up no later than 7:00 and the stove has been a little above or a little below 300* with a nice bed of coals and it's a piece of cake to get a fire roaring again. I usually get that going as soon as I get out of bed and by the time I'm showered and ready to head out the door, I can stuff the stove to the gills and there will be a nice coal bed there around 5 when I get home.

With only a single air control lever to mess with, it's been easy for my wife to handle reloading the stove or even starting a fire herself. We love having the huge glass door to see the fire, a first for us and after last year waking up to nothing in the stove in the morning in the old stove, I love that I can go to bed without worrying about the house being cold if I don't get up in the middle of the night to refill it.

I love all the benefits of the wood heat, but this one was really nice - last Thursday, the temps plummeted and I let the heat pump do its thing that first night. I got the stove going the next morning and when I checked the daily electric usage today, our usage was cut in half after getting the stove going and not using any sort of electric heat.

The stove heats pretty well when it's not real cold out when the surface temp is around 300+, but it's a beautiful thing when it's in the 450-600* range.

Right now I'm seriously considering a Hearthstone Mansfield. Curious how you're liking it after using it for a couple seasons. Also, if I might ask, what's the size and layout of the room you have it in? I'm just wondering if it's too much stove and I should opt for something smaller.

Latest posts

Back