More power from Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How can I get more power form a Stihl 025? Just put in a new plug and filters but am still unhappy with the top end.

Also what is the recommended adjustment for the H and L?? And the LA?

Is all the way in then a quarter out still the recommneded?

Welcome to the world of MORE power. the bug has bitten.

Now, what youll wanna do, is open the muffler some. theres about a weeks worth of reading here about it, so do a search for "muffler mods" and see what you learn.

If you're going to make working on saws a habit

(it actualy has a way of sneaking up on you), invest in a small air compressor. I spent $80.00 on a 2hp/4 gallon Durabuilt (I think), & it included a free brad nailer. Which comes in handy when you misplace screws :D !

Chris J.

The dremel trick is done to the exit side of the muffler right? Not the side that bolts to the engine?

OR

Is it done to the exhaust port on the engine?

BostonBull said:
The dremel trick is done to the exit side of the muffler right? Not the side that bolts to the engine?

OR

Is it done to the exhaust port on the engine?

No, engine exhaust ports are not for the faint of heart but more for the race saw buiders.

What Oldsaw Addict is talking about is the re-arranging the exhaust portion of the muffler, you should pick up .3 to .5 hp with such a mod., that is subtantial on a 3 hp engine.

Like on anything mechanical if you do not know what you are doing or are not sure then DON'T TOUCH IT.

This is off a 026, can't remember which member here however, but it will give you a good idea on muffler mod's.

Get one of the youngsters here to walk you through as at my age my heart can't take all thhat excitement !

Took the muffler apart today and cant figure out wha to drill out. Is it the holes on the inside of the baffle? the ports on the cover of the creen that face to the side?

Thanks for any help.

every one is being unfriendly about this so here goes. The easiest way to do this and to be a little on the causious side is: Cut the face of the baffles off with a dremel. If you do not have a dremel, open the holes up as much as you can in the front of the baffles. If you have a dremel and can, cut the baffles out. Do not cut the outer box of the muffler though. Next, on the right hand side of the muffler (as you are looking at it) on the side wall, drill out (4) 3/8" holes in a square pattern and a small 1/8" hole in the center of these to put a screw through for putting a screen in. When you get the holes in the side and the screen in then you need to build a little deflector to weld on the side so that the hot exhaust gases are pushed forward and do not melt your break handle. If you do not do this it will melt it in half in short order. Or if you would like to have it done; I dual port mufflers for $18 per muffler.

OK I took a dremel and drilled out all the little holes on the top side of the baffle and readjusted the carb.

Whats next for more power?

After the muffler mod the gains are much harder to find, engine modification. Which comes at a price, how is your chain sharpening?

You can likely achieve the same gains as basic engine mods by using square filed chain

Back