Climbing, How to Learn???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Ashley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First of all let me say I'm 19 years old. I've been doing firewood cutting for a couple years now and am very comfortable using a chainsaw for bucking and felling etc.

However I've had to turn down some side jobs because of the condition of the trees. Now, I'm smart enough to say no when I realize I'm not capable of doing a job safely. So I'm sure someone will say, "Let the professionals worry about that." Don't worry, thats what I'll do for the meantime.

I am wanting to 'learn the ropes' of tree climbing. However I've come to the painful realization that I know absolutely nothing about it, and I'm not about to tie a rope around my belt and hike up a tree in order to kill myself.

The truth is, I have no idea where to start. Some have suggested I should get a job for a tree service. The problem is I work full time now on top of another part time job. I've purchased the Tree Climber's Companion, but even reading a manual doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence when putting my life 'on a line' so to speak. I'm really looking for some help here. I know how niave this sounds, so please, be gentle.

Justin

J_Ashley said:
First of all let me say I'm 19 years old. The truth is, I have no idea where to start.Justin
You start here.

You've come to the right place. It would help us help you if you could put all your gear in one place and take a picture. It is worth a thousand words.

And don't worry, we really like Newbies, especially ones that admit their limitations and and are smart enough to ask to be helped. We'll help you.

We have some cultural ground rules you will need to respect. 1) We care for trees, so we don't use spikes on any tree except a takedown, 2) We practice safety at all times.

Everybody can suggest lots of other rules, but those are the two biggies. You go home in one piece, each and every night to work again tomorrow to care for more trees.

One assumption we must make is, you wish to climb trees, and rig limbs and stuff like that, right? Start low and slow and work your way up? And do you wish to learn ascending / descending methods, control of ropes and friction, ropesetting, and aerial positioning and cutting? Do you wanna learn about chainsaws and chain sharpening and chain making and bar maintenence, and saws and polesaws and power pruners and pole pruners and Japanese handsaws?
Firewood making, log milling, stump grinding.
Trucks. Chippers.

If that kind of stuff just gets you cranking, this would be the place. Pull up a chair, stay awhile.

climbing and wood splitting

Firewood is the single best place to start climbing. 'How the heck does that work?' you may ask. Allow me to explain; one of the most important bridges you will cross in your tree-climbing career is to become comfortable while up in the trees, only after that happens will you really begin to learn and understand the craft. Learning to trust your gear is pretty easy, the stuff is hugely strong. The trick to tree work is knowing the trees. What type of crotch is strong? Weak? How will an injury affect the strength of a stem? What does interior rot look like on the outside? This is the really hard stuff to learn, and you are probably well on your way.

After a tree is injured it will begin to grow big ol’ “lips” around the injury. After a few years the originally wood may start to decay, but the lips will have gotten bigger. What is your opinion of this wood Justin, the lips I mean? Do they split hard? Are they strong? What about the ears that sometimes grow out of the base of a crotch?

The second most important thing to know about climbing is how a landing works. By “landing” I mean anywhere trees are being processed, cut up, chipped, felled, etc. The climber often controls the tempo of a job, so it is important for you to know what the ground guys can and cannot be reasonably expected to do. Also, the landing has a whole slew of dangers all its own, your familiarity with them will serve you well.

As for learning the basics of climbing, you could join or start a recreational climbing club. Going out on sunny cool Saturday with some friends and climbing a big tree is a great time, also a good low pressure way to become familiar with the gear. You have no time limit, no chainsaw, and no power lines to worry about. Each of those three items is a killer. Incorporate them into your life one at a time.

Good luck, listen to Tree Machine, be safe.

Last edited:
J_Ashley said:
a whole lot of confidence when putting my life 'on a line'
Justin

65% of climbing is in trusting your "line" and kit
20% by knowing what you can expect from each tree species when your in & working on it
10% is your groundies
5% good luck

100% work safely always ! don't take short cuts unless your prepared to take the concequence's

practical experience is the best teacher and "no" book can teach what you must learn by walking the walk

by a rope and harness and go for it !! the techique, will come with practise

If you're interested in some practical experience, you can give me a call (502-376-9637). It can be as part-time as you need.

The best way to learn is by watching and then doing. Having somebody there with you that can answer questions, offer suggestions, and shower you with sarcasm. It worked for me!

I think the first stage is to practice the knots you'll need to know. Get a lengh of rope as close to 1/2" thick as you can. Chuck it over a branch or a rafter and practice tying a 3 knot climbing system.

So Tie a bowline or double bowline if you prefer leave yourself with a long tail. Next tie you friction hitch personly i'd use blakes but you could use a prussic. End the whole thing with a figure of 8.

Thats a basic 3 knot climbing system get comtable tying thoses three knots and things will become easier.

Knot terms and demo's

For us newbies, it would be nice if you experienced climbers would maybe give some how-to's on knot tying along with the knot names. I know there's a bunch of them. Also, what knots would work best for the various applications.

As a side note, I thought that using a dremel with a round stone would decrease my chain sharpening time. Being a man, I have to say the 3 words we hate to say the most.....I was wrong.

Used on a 81 link chain, a new stone ground on the 1st tooth will not give the same results on the last (81st). Obviously, the stone was getting smaller as it was wearing.

I used a file on the last sharpening and my chain lasted 3X longer. You experienced guys may want to elaborate if you want.

Have a great day.

Chain Bit Me,

Do you "Live off a steady supply of government cheese" or "Your not gonna amount to JACK SQ.......". :laugh:

Just reliving the good times.

Yeah...thats me. Sorry to get off on a tangent but...

RIP....Chris Farley

[ open on a family's front living room, everyone seated on opposite couches ]

Dad: Brian? Stacy? Your mother, Ellen, and I are so glad you decided to join us for this Family Communication session.

Stacy: So, what's up? You guys getting divorced, or something?

Mom: No. We just wanted the family to talk as a group.

Brian: Okay. Well, let's get it started.

Mom: Okay. Well, Stacy, Brian.. your father, Ted, and I are a little bit concerned. Cecilia, the cleaning lady, was in the family room, and she found a bag of pot.

Stacy: [ anxious ] She didn't smoke it, did she?

Mom: No! She didn't smoke it.

Dad: Now, we're not here to "come down on you" I mean, that's not what we're about, okay?

Mom: We're just concerned that pot could lead to other things.

Dad: Crack. Ice. Boom. Pow.

Mom: Well, we know you don't want to hear this from us.

Dad: Sure! I mean we're your parents! Who wants to hear this stuff from their parents, huh?

Mom: Your father and I came up with a brilliant idea to give you kids some direction - a motivational speaker.

Dad: Yeah. One of those guys who speaks to big groups at high schools and churches.

Stacy: You mean, to come to the house?

Mom: Yeah.

[ the kids get up to leave ]

Dad: Hey, come on, you guys. This set me back a few bucks. Okay, his name is Matt Foley. Now, he's been down in the basement drinking coffee for about the last four hours, and he should be all ready to go. I'll call him up. [ opens the basement door ] Matt, we're ready for you! [ turns to the kids ] His speech is called "Go For It!" Now, he's used to big groups, so make him feel like there's a crowd here. [ calls down the basement again ] Matt! Come on up, buddy!

Matt Foley: [ runs up the stairs, bouncing back and forth as he talks ] Alright, how's everybody? Good! Good! Good! Now, as your father probably told you, my name is Matt Foley, and I am a Motivational Speaker! Now, let's get started by me giving you a little bit of a scenario of what my life is all about! First off, I am 35 years old.. I am divorced.. and I live in a van down by the river! Now, you kids are probably saying to yourself, "Now, I'm gonna go out, and I'm gonna get the world by the tail, and wrap it around and put it in my pocket!!" Well, I'm here to tell you that you're probably gonna find out, as you go out there, that you're not gonna amount to Jack Squat!!" You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river! Now, young man, what do you want to do with your life?

Brian: [ nervous ] I.. actually, Matt.. I kinda wanna be a writer..

Matt Foley: We-e-e-elll.. la-de-freakin'-da! We've got ourselves a writer here! [ jumps across the room ] Hey, Dad, I can't see real good.. [ lifts his glasses off and on his face ] ..is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Dad: Well, actually, Matt.. Ellen and I have encouraged Brian in his writing.

Matt Foley: Dad, I wish you could just shut your big yapper! [ stumbles back across the room ] Now, I wonder.. Brian, from what I've heard, you're using your paper, not for writing, but for rolling doobies!! You're gonna be doing a lot of doobie-rolling when you're living in a van down by the river! [ turns to Stacy ] Young lady, what do you want to do with your life?!

Stacy: [ sarcastic ] I want to live in a van down by the river.

Matt Foley: Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river when you're.. [ tries to be clever ] ..living in a van down by the river! Now, you kids are probably asking yourself, "Hey, Matt, how can we get back on the right track?!" Well, as I see it, there is only one solution! And that is for me to get my gear, move it on into here, 'cause I'm gonna bunk with you, buddy! We're gonna be buddies! We're gonna be pals! [ picks Brian up ] We're gonna wrassle around! [ puts Brian down ] Ol' Matt's gonna be your shadow! [ motions] Here's Matt, here's you! There's Matt, there's you! [ trips and falls flat on the coffee table, sending it crashing to the floor ] Whoops-a-daisy! [ stands up ] We're gonna have to clean that up later! Me and my buddies! My pals! My amigos! I'm gonna go get my gear! [ heads for the door ]

Brian: [ runs after Matt ] Wait, Matt! You don't have to go!

Stacy: [ runs behind Brian ] Yeah, you don't have to do that! We'll never smoke pot again!

Dad: Uh, Matt, thanks for all you've done!

Matt Foley: I don't give a rat's behind, 'cause I'm moving in! I'm sick and tired of living in a van down by the river!
[ as Matt steps outside to grab his gear, Dad quickly locks the front door ]

Dad: [ frightened ] Is the back door locked?

Mom: [ petrified ] Yes!

Stacy: We love you, Dad!

Dad: I love you, too!

[ fade out on family group hug ]

Climbing gear...where do you buy from?

Does anyone know where to buy good climbing gear (the stuff the pro's use). I've read the recreational posts but doubt the rec stuff is as good at the pro's equipment. If I'm going to put my life into a safety harness, I'm going to get the best that's out there.

Back to the first post. Where do you go to learn good tree climbing experience?

We will dial you in at the TCI Expo, just show up. Come and be a part of the whole scene, over a couple of days and it will change your young, green life. You get a super highly concentrated big-a$s learning experience. Bring all the money you can possibly pull together and buy your basic gear gear here. Try on ten different saddles. You'll go back home recharged, invigorated, more confident and better equipped. The Expo is worthwhile for all facets of our tree care industry, but the noobs that attend this show benefit most. It's a good shot in the arm, so get in your van over there by the river, and come to the show.http://www.treecareindustry.org/content/mtgs/meetings.htm
Formal noob invite.

Last edited:
geez tree co. be easy on chain bit me ...that was one heck of a witty write up- respond ....... i like it ... very creative
either of you noobs can get good gear just by looking below and choosing the right stuff ,if you know what that is. i think you both should come to chatt. tennessee and my crew will show you what s up both in tree climbing and rockclimbing. now hows that ? :blob2:

You mean 'Camp Darkstar'? Tree boot camp under the industry's wickedest General. You make it sound like you're inviting him over to climb. Shurr, uh huh. Don't do it, Noob. You're being baited. Start low and slow, don't start at the roughest camp in the south.

At Camp Darkstar, dude, you've gotta be at a hundred sixty percent, all the time or this team of seasoned, merciless workhogs will grind you into hamburger.

Are you up for it? Are you really up for it?

J_Ashley said:
I am wanting to 'learn the ropes' of tree climbing. However I've come to the painful realization that I know absolutely nothing about it, and I'm not about to tie a rope around my belt and hike up a tree in order to kill myself.

The truth is, I have no idea where to start. Some have suggested I should get a job for a tree service. The problem is I work full time now on top of another part time job. I've purchased the Tree Climber's Companion, but even reading a manual doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence when putting my life 'on a line' so to speak. I'm really looking for some help here. I know how niave this sounds, so please, be gentle.

Justin

Wow, a newbie that admits to not knowing everything, a true rarity in this biz. Well you do know a lot more than you think and like TM said you knew enough to ask the question of "where do I start?" Good for you, most do not ask and end up in the injury section of these forums. Books and video great starting tools, a piece of scrap line to practice knots great to have also. Best way to learn is watching and doing with someone experienced in my opinion. If that is not an option for you right now take some rope and a saddle in a backyard tree great place to get the feel and work on balance. Beside the no spikes on live trees, and proper PPE, remember YOUR climbing line is just that, not for rigging, loaning out, or any other use. It stays with you all the time and you still check it everytime you use it. Leave the saws and spikes on the ground and work on simple up, down, balance, and limb walking and just getting comfortable off the ground. Low and slow is the general rule, practice your tie in hitch until you can do it with your eyes closed, there are many to chose, my opinion is start with the most basic taut-line or blakes get the feel for it and how it acts and move up from there. Good luck, be careful and have fun.

J. Ashley-good for you buddy that you want to climb. First of all Tree Machine, do not include me with "we". "Cultural ground rules", get lost. I climb with spurs at all times, if you don't like that, b.f.d.. J. Ashley, the safest way to climb is with spurs and a steelcore lanyard, but remember this always, you are #1 and always will be, never the tree or what anyone else thinks. The help you have got here is mostly good, always wear p.p.e., never climb alone, always be tied in or clipped in and don't one hand a saw for a while yet. I have never spurless climbed but I want you to learn, just be real sure whatever you are tied into is good. Good luck, take your time.

Ya,
Talk to Lumberjack he'll tell all you need to know about Tree Care operations like air spading and stump grinding. ;)

Wow, First let me say thanks for all the quick and helpful replys.

Now a little more background on myself. My saws are listen in my profile below. Along with those, my PPE includes a couple pairs of chaps (one wrap-around, one front-only) a helmet/ear muff/face shield setup, padded gloves, and countless pairs of safety glasses. I always wear my boots when cutting and try to cut/think/saw as logically as I know how. I currently do not have ANY climbing gear, thus part of the reason for my post.

IF I do end up purchasing some climbing gear, the first tree I'll climb up is a pretty tall & sturdy red-oak here at the hosue. It needs some minor pruning down low, so this will be a good learner as well. After that will (probably) come a large hedge-apple tree that will come down. A good chance for spikes maybe? Anyways, thanks again for the responses- keep them coming!

Justin

PS, TreeMachine, I'm now making plans to attend that expo!

Latest posts

Back