Katrina pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantheraba

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just posted a LOT of pictures from our Hurricane Katrina mission. We took two Disaster Relief Teams to Picayune, MS, and Slidell, LA and surrounding areas and did tree work for 2 weeks...removing trees from houses and hazardous limb removals primarily. After 2-3 days of hard tree work we would rest by delivering supplies to remote areas.

The pictures are posted at

http://layton.smugmug.com/Other

Sweet, Pantheraba! I'm working on the video you sent me and will post the links in this thread.

Excellent photos. What an adventure!

Yes, I don't work with .wmv format, but I just got instruction from my video guy on how to do it. These are huge files, should be some exceptional footage. If it's just a conversion, I should be able to get it up on to the server later today.

Perry's homerun came through just fine. I just need to do this:

>Using QuickTime Player, you may be able to determine which codec was
>used to compress an audio or video track:
> QuickTime 6 and earlier
>
> 1. Open the file in QuickTime Player.
> 2. From the Movie menu, choose Get Movie Properties.
> 3. From the left pop-up menu in the Properties window,
>choose Sound Track or Video Track.
> 4. From the right pop-up menu, choose Format. The Format
>section shows the codec.
> QuickTime 7
>
> 1. Open the file in QuickTime Player.
> 2. From the Window menu, choose Show Movie Info. The
>codec is listed next to Format.
>
> If the .AVI file is encoded using a codec that is not included with
>QuickTime, you might be able to find and add that codec so QuickTime
>can play media encoded with it. Contact the party that publishes or
>distributes the codec to see if a QuickTime version is available.

See, Pantheraba, .wmv is a Windows thing. Quicktime is Windows/Mac

I may just forward these to my video guy. I WILL get them up on the server with a URL address so everyone can view them as streamed video.

darkstar said:
that shed tree looked pretty tricky nice job dark

Thanks.

It was a head scratcher a few times...learned several things from it. :dizzy:

We used big ice tongs and a Warn winch to pull chunks out of the shed once we got the trunk cut back to the shed. I'll work on some video of that.

I finally got the picts sorted properly, mostly chronological now.

cool yeah chockeing the knub back must have took a bit of time i see you used chain for your rigging .. i guess you had a bomber tree to hold the fallen tree up i would have wanted one ...oh and those ladder shots make my palms sweat

darkstar said:
cool yeah chockeing the knub back must have took a bit of time i see you used chain for your rigging .. i guess you had a bomber tree to hold the fallen tree up i would have wanted one ...oh and those ladder shots make my palms sweat

Yep, the belay tree was stout.

I don't like ladders much either. We had the ladder's top rungs anchored to the tree...we were not sure how much bouncing up and down the trunk might do when a big piece let loose so we mounted the ladder base to plywood to prevent punching holes in the shingles.

Back