Sizzle's Big Adventure With Friction Saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, instead of boring you with the details of my big stupid adventure, i will highlight the highlights

*SUNNY DAY, bought stuff from REI, made friction saver total 30$, very excited

*went to park to test it out on big tree

*dry run close to ground goes well, sizzle tries to set rope higher, too high

*sizzle keeps trying for over an hour

*sizzle keeps trying for over two hours

*sizzle gets angry at 2.5 hours, considers going home to order big shot, but gets throw weight stuck in tree, now must climb.

*sizzle finally sets line with second weight... but realizes in the process that big tree doesnt have leaves cuz is DEAD tree, not winter, again considers leaving.

*sizzle's stupid side (99%) wins the mental battle and he decides to climb tree, test new friction saver, retrieve weight and call it a day.

*10ft up, imperialist city park man puts kybosh on operation, tells sizzle to scram

*sizzle agrees, and decends ten feet to ground, pulls rope without proper stopper on it, pulls it THROUGH THE ROPE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!

*very worried, Mr. Chest cries to himself while waiting for mean park man to leave.

*tries to set rope again for another hour, realizes that its getting dark, starting to rain, out of water and very hungry

*collects gear, goes to sporting goods store, looks at bow and arrow, realizes stupid, buys some peanuts, leaves.

*In parking lot, Sizzle finally breaks down feeling stupid, calls boss to ask to use his big shot. Boss busy, Sizzle left to own devices.

*Return to park, try to set rope again, counts number of tries

*Throw 29, sizzle sets line!!!

*Climbs tree, pauses to take pictures and reflect about his poor decisions.

* reaches the level of the rope saver, but its too far to reach. luckily, brought tire iron and uses to retrieve saver

*decends to ground in rain, snaps triumphant victory photo of self, leaves. Pictures follow.

Last edited:
thanks to everyone who gave advice on how to make a better FC. i really appreciate it! Now, if I could only learn how to control this beast I have created!

I see dampness on your face in that last pic. Sweat, or tears?

My favorite line:

*collects gear, goes to sporting goods store, looks at bow and arrow, realizes stupid, buys some peanuts, leaves.

Perseverence pays off. I'll admit, I've never had quite THAT bad...but it does take a while to get used to the throwline.

New friction saver looks great.

love
nick

NickfromWI said:

New friction saver looks great.

love
nick

Thanks nick, i'de still like any suggestions you have about it, its a work in progress

ps, tears, sweat, and a little bit of rain

Weather we want to admit it or not.....I think most all of us has put ourselves in these types of situations before.

Stay after it sizzle ....I hope for your safety you had someone with you.

How do you like that true blue line. I have seen it in the store...its great looking rope. I have heard its alittle more stretchy than 16 strand.

NickfromWI said:

My favorite line:

nick
Yep, that was good, but so was this:

*Climbs tree, pauses to take pictures and reflect about his poor decisions.

Sizzle, that was a hilarious write up...great highlights, I think we all fill in the details as we read. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing Sizzle. I have one question about your very nice looking FS-Does an overhand knot in your climbing rope go through the ring okay? Obviously, remembering to tie the retrieval knot won't help if it hangs upon the "big ring" side.It looks a little tight in your pic but I can't really tell. congratulations on surviving your big adventure. :)

Stumper said:
Thanks for sharing Sizzle. I have one question about your very nice looking FS-Does an overhand knot in your climbing rope go through the ring okay? Obviously, remembering to tie the retrieval knot won't help if it hangs upon the "big ring" side.It looks a little tight in your pic but I can't really tell. congratulations on surviving your big adventure. :)

ya, you got it right, that "big ring" is actually a small ring, which is not how it should be, but I did it anyway cuz I liked the little ring I bought (real good reason :rolleyes: ). I have to figure something out that is just small enough to fit through that ring but big enough to stop up that pulley. Im thinking of just taping the ends of my rope to create enough bulk cuz it barely fits through pulley now. Thats actually why I didnt tie anything, cuz I thought it would catch, but I didnt think about the power it would take to pull the FC over the crotch.

Also, the difference of climbing with a pulley was increadible. I thought something was wrong cuz it was so easy, like i didnt have something tied right. i should have done this a long time ago.

PS david, I actually dont like the true blue very much. its too stretchy, but i suppose its alright for what i do, i cant complain!

True Blue is a heavy large diameter rope.

Replace the small ring with an HMS style biner. The ISC Gecko is my favorite.

Take some small diameter twine and seize the ends of all your knots back onto itself. Cleanliness...

Use a double overhand knot as a stopper instead of the figure eight. The eight is not secure enough.

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/KnotPhoto Stopper Knots.html#Double Overhand Knot

Tom Dunlap said:
True Blue is a heavy large diameter rope.

Replace the small ring with an HMS style biner. The ISC Gecko is my favorite.

Take some small diameter twine and seize the ends of all your knots back onto itself. Cleanliness...

Use a double overhand knot as a stopper instead of the figure eight. The eight is not secure enough.

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/KnotPhoto Stopper Knots.html#Double Overhand Knot

Thanks Tom, will do, but the biner will have to wait for until i can get some more work. I will be more careful till then. . .

Sizzle:
I thought I had a bad day yesterday getting a colonoscopy. Actually, isn't that the most dangerous job?
It is noted that you were wearing an ODF shirt.
Reminds of the time Tom Fitzpatrick was at a party and snuck someone elses camera into the bathroom and took a self portrait. They CSI'd him because he left his blue T-shirt in the corner of the photo. Plus he had priors.
Now I just gotta figure what part of the state you're from. Photos show a west side setting. Douglas County is not part of ODF etc. If you bought stuff at an REI store that would be the Portland area. I'm narrowing the search.
Self portraits are the best. I roared at "buys some peanuts, leaves." Thanks!

Still LMAO!! Been there done that but never for 2 1/2 hours-perserverence pays off!!
Oh yeah I now got more than two throw line weights :)

smokechase II:

Good eye with the ODF shirt, i was wondering if anyone would pick that up? permit me to solve the mystery, i meant to respond earlier about where I fought fire, but i forgot. anyway, I worked for the East Lane Oregon Department of FOrestry for a little while, but. . . eh. I also worked for USFS for the middle fork ranger district in Westfir on the Type 2 crew. Bye the way, im pretty sure a colonoscopy was worse, but i havent had one for comparison.

EKKA: i watched your ART rope guide video, was very interesting, did you make it as a training video? im confused about the difference between it and a friction saver with pulley, except that you cant set the ART from the ground? Also, isnt it made to pay line out somehow? maybe i just dont know how those things work, but i guess im just asking what the advantage is of having that setup.

Last edited:
When climbing on the rope guide, you're climbing on JUST the pulley. Your rope ONLY touches the pulley. When using the RING/pulley setup, your rope goes through both the ring AND the pulley.

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
When climbing on the rope guide, you're climbing on JUST the pulley. Your rope ONLY touches the pulley. When using the RING/pulley setup, your rope goes through both the ring AND the pulley.

love
nick

Ach so, ich verstehe

Back