hardnose bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
had a hardnose bar given to me today, cleaned it up. seems of is .063 , so i twill work for me. do they have a special purpose or no?

They'll make an acceptable boat anchor.

Sorry; they’re just older and a bit more difficult to work with. You'll have to run your chain a bit loose. Hard nosed bars are hard on both bar and chain.

I'd suggest you have it as a back up. Maybe you've got an old chain that'll fit it and you need to cut through a nail likely area on a home remodel and that bar would be great then.

Think of them as your rock skis.

They're useful when cutting in material or situations so dirty as to quickly foul/destroy a sprocket-tip bar. I have used them for cutting dirty stumps, roots below the soil line when preparing to pull a stump out, and for cutting items that are submerged in water when doing log jam removals/woody debris management/riparian corridor restoration work.

For the things that they're good at, they're the right choice. For everything else...

Local tree guy runs(or did run) them on his 038s, they're common around here on construction sites...no sprocket to damage.

Back