Amazing Pawnshop Finds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I stopped by one of the local pawn shops today and I think I may have found a winner for the most overpriced chainsaw ever:

I found a completely used up Stihl MS290 with a trashed bar, broken plastic, little-to-no compression (did the rope test, saw made a quick trip to the floor). Includes an extra chain, though. Price marked down, for a limited time mind you, from $450 to $425. The tag states that it is a "true pro saw that is used in the logging industry." Well, in that case, the $425 is a steal!

And I thought the $199 trashed MS210 with new b/c was a bad deal...but this price on the 290 beats it by a mile.

What are these people thinking? And who the devil actually buys these saws?

CaseyForrest said:
Computeruser.....what Pawn Shops around Lansing are the best for looking for saws?

None of them. Seriously, they are all terrible.

I have only seen two modern saws that I thought were priced reasonably in the past three years that I've visited the local pawnshops. One was a Jonsered 2150, never seen gas, $199. The other was a CS3400 Echo, also never used, $125 or so. And I make a good effort to get out to visit 'em once a week.

Occasionally Dicker & Deal on Cedar St. gets old saws in that could be OK, and they have the highest rate of turnover of all the shops. PowerMac 605 and 610 seem to be frequently found there, along with Homelite Mini-XL and XL-12 sort of saws. But the prices are usually pretty high, and I've never had much luck bartering the prices down enough to make 'em tempting. And I have never seen any bigger old Homelites or McCullochs, and the largest modern saw I've seen there was an 028WB.

Another place has had the same identical five or six saws for the past nine months. They are dusty now. Husqvarna Rancher 55, all beat up, $275; Stihl 020, also beat up, $200. No surprise they haven't sold yet.

Around here, the pawnshops charge nearly retail for used, beat-up junk. I don't get it. I don't know how much they're paying when people pawn them in the first place, but they sure as snot ain't selling their inventory.

the pawn shops around here think the should get 10.00 under MSRP
it is a joke. i happen to be going by one, so i went in and they had a vintage Thor drill. i asked what the price was and he said 125.00. i laugh the whole way to the door. i think i pissed him off real good

Pawn shops down under are the same too. The only time there is a good price is if the shop owner really doesn't know what he has.

I've bought some telecommunications test equipment from a pawn shop at a silly (low) price, but everything else appears to sell at retail price.

I don't understand how these places attract buyers - The only angle I can see is that maybe an old looking tool doesn't attract suspicion from the spouse the way a shiny new tool might! :)

Pawn shops sell money to people who cannot buy money elsewhere. They also sell goods over time to people who cannot buy those goods over time elsewhere. Like most other places, you give one your business and they'll usually come around to treating you right. Or at least one out of three will.

They generally buy for 1/2 what they'll ultimately take for something - to cover overhead & profit. Then they start asking at 150 or 200 percent what they'll ultimately take. If they can sell it over time at 200 percent they're even farther ahead.

I've got several good friends in the pawn business and am even designing a house addition for one of them. As of today he has an abused 020 w/ quick adjust that he pulled for sale today. I looked it over, adjusted the chain - didn't even ask about it...told him if he got any 70cc or up to let me know, but that just doesn't happen around here.

Been meaning to stop into Dicker and Deal....I drive by it all the time, but never do stop. I dont need any more saws, but hear stories of finds to good to be true....just hoping my day will come sometime.

Pawn shops here are the same way. one had an abused 039 that they wanted around $200 or so for. I mean beat up, dull chain, junk bar, looked like crap, I didnt even bother to check compression, or anything else.

Theres only about 3 pawn shops here. I have to look more often at one of them though, because the owner doesnt charge astronomical prices for his wares.

now for tools, I got a buddy down the road that sells em at yardsale prices for really good Craftsman and higher quality tools.

The pawn shops around here think they should be $10 ABOVE retail!:censored:
An example: a used hi-lift jack in OK shape, the local pawn-o-rama wanted $61 for it, whereas the local farm store has them NEW for $50.99!!:dizzy:
The prices on their used and abused power tools make Home Depot look like a bargain.:greenchainsaw:
Needless to say, they don't sell much.
I think most of these places make their money as quick loan type places, with sky high interest rates.
FWIW,
Andy

I think most pawnshops prey on two types of people. Those who need money, and the uninformed buyer. To you Michigan guys- I live northeast of Muskegon and every time I go into a pawnshop, in Muskegon or the small towns surrounding it the same situations apply. Over priced junk-doesn't matter if its saws, guitars, or guns. I've never seen anything that looked close to a deal and don't think I ever will! Why I keep going back is a mystery!

HEY ! We get good deals here inthe mid-west @ pawn shops , Just the other day our local pawn shop had 3 craftsman totaly trashed 40cc saws for ONLY $199. each . Heck of a bargan . I asked if anybody actually bought this stuff at $50-$70. over retail of a new saw and i was told that what they have to have on them. I told them they "MIGHT" get 50% of the retail "IF" they would at least clean all the dirt , mud and junk off ther stuff . I was told if they cleaned up all there tools and such before selling it they would have to add 20% to the prices they already have on there stuff for extra labor . What do you say to someone after that ? Just shook my head and went out the door.:deadhorse:

You'll find a gem now and then. I bought a nice 056 Super for $100 at one. It was an "old" saw so they couldn't sell it for as much. Saw ran great. It's the one I sold on ebay for $450.

And while it's not quite a $400 029, I did see a $350 011 in a shop a while back. I think I laughed out loud. It's probably still there.

Jeff

Pawn shop

I think with the pawn shop saws its pretty Iffy most times but being in a city with about a million people there are a ton of pawn shops around, Most are over priced but ya get the odd saw thats ok,, I bought Husky 351 for $100. thats cheap in Canada, someone had put the chain brake on and then pulled the the side clutch cover off and couldnt get it back on cause the brake band wouldnt fit over the drum,,they thought it was toast. I bought it, took it home unlocked the brake and slid the cover back on , put gas in it, pulled the rope and 3 or 4 pulls it started,, Its Been a great saw. So I think Sometimes, they have no idea what they have.. the shop I got the 351 at now has a 365, I ran it, seems real strong, only problem I can see it the bucking spike is missing, the case lobe that it bolts too is broke flush with the case.. But Im really tempted,,
Dale M

Interesting post you have there, Computeruser. I'm familiar with Dicker & Deal myself and have purchased a few chainsaws, some tools, and several firearms there. To say that D & D is charging nearly retail prices for their merchandise and that they are "terrible" is both unfair and inaccurate in my assessment of things. I've received either good or great deals on items I bought in their store, but also I was willing to "dicker" with them on the price to get my best deal. Some of their posted prices may be higher than what you or I care to pay, but even you admit that they have the highest turnover of goods of the local pawn shops. That says to me that their prices must be competitive and acceptable in the local market. Compared to the prices I see saws going for on E-bay, D & D is asking far less. I also know for a fact that they have sold many newer saws than the solitary 028WB you mention, as I have seem some of the new "MS" Stihls and also an 084 go through there, along with other brands. Funny to see how our opinions of the place differ! :givebeer:

computeruser said:
None of them. Seriously, they are all terrible.

I have only seen two modern saws that I thought were priced reasonably in the past three years that I've visited the local pawnshops.

Occasionally Dicker & Deal on Cedar St. gets old saws in that could be OK, and they have the highest rate of turnover of all the shops. PowerMac 605 and 610 seem to be frequently found there, along with Homelite Mini-XL and XL-12 sort of saws. But the prices are usually pretty high, and I've never had much luck bartering the prices down enough to make 'em tempting. And I have never seen any bigger old Homelites or McCullochs, and the largest modern saw I've seen there was an 028WB.

Another place has had the same identical five or six saws for the past nine months. They are dusty now. Husqvarna Rancher 55, all beat up, $275; Stihl 020, also beat up, $200. No surprise they haven't sold yet.

Around here, the pawnshops charge nearly retail for used, beat-up junk. I don't get it. I don't know how much they're paying when people pawn them in the first place, but they sure as snot ain't selling their inventory.

I found a MS 440 with some sap on the plastic. Nearly new. The pawnshop was asking $190... I talked him down to $160 :) Took it home and cleaned it up. It looks brand new and runs like a champ.... Mostly it's the other way though.

Jim

I have yet to see a bargain in a pawn shop. Tools seem to be mostly priced higher than retail. I will not even waste my time starting to dicker on an unreasonably priced item.

There are hundreds of pawn shops in the OKC area and you can find some great deals. I just picked up a Stihl 009 in good shape for $70 and my brother in law picked up a Husqy 55 Rancher that was practically new for $90. In his case, I don't think they new what they had. Some of the worst deals I've seen were a 25 year old Stihl (don't remember the model) that wouldn't even start for $200 and a Husqy 266 that had no compression at all for $180.

5555555 said:
I found a MS 440 with some sap on the plastic. Nearly new. The pawnshop was asking $190... I talked him down to $160 :) Took it home and cleaned it up. It looks brand new and runs like a champ.... Mostly it's the other way though.

Jim
Sounds like someone had a saw swiped.

Back