GB chainsaw mills... do they realy exist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a GB chainsaw mill to buy online and I cant find one ANYWHERE. Are they still being made? Can you still buy them? Where ?
Help me please.

http://www.gbbar.com

Doesn't show on their website but you can ask them directly!

http://www.gbbar.com/contactus.htm

Out of curiosity any specific reason for looking for a GB mill versus an Alaskan?

attachment.php

Dont know how to post a link, but I read
"Any of you into CHAINSAW MILLING ??
I thought that there was a forum for milling on here?? anyway...
I just got the new GB mills in and I am rather impressed. I sell the Granberg MKIII mills and these are quite a bit more substantial and they appear to be very rigid. They have 4 vertical uprights intead of two- but what is really unique with these mills is that they clamp to the power head instead of just the bar and that makes a world of difference in terms of rigidity. The Grandbergs if you use them long enough will fail the bar due to fatigue the way that they clamp to the bar.
(posted by jsikkema1) "

and I liked the sound of them.
Any idea of the price ?

That looks like a photo of a brand new Alaskan MkIII...and I'm extremely jealous :)

As I said, I was down at their facility a couple times in the past week or so. Very, very nice people. They are located in a warehouse on the (now decomissioned) Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA. Cool place to visit too.

The Granberg Alaskan Mills have been in production for around 50 years or so, and their design is tried and true. They ship all over the world.

i can confirm the GB mill is real. i am a GB dealer so if you need one let me know :)

basic mill: $140
double end with aux oil tank $220
rail assemblies are not included with either mill.

here are the prices on the rail assemblies:
36" $35
44" $45
50" $55
66" $65
84" $75

Great! My quest is nearly over.
Have you got any pictures of the mills?
What is the max log width that can be cut with the basic?
How are they mounted onto the saw?
I realy want to find out as much about them as I can before I buy one.
Can you direct me to info online ?

the main advantage of the GB mill is instead of claming to the bar and letting the powerhead wobble around and possibly bend or break it mounts to the bar studs, eliminating that un-needed stress. i dont have a scanner but heres the best i could do, took a picture of the catalog pictures.

Can it be fitted to a Stihl 064 ?
Does it come with a bar and ripping chain ( stupid question? )?
Can you ship to europe?
Sorry for the endless list of questions but I have been trying to find this
stuff out for ages.

bar is seperate, will fit on an 064, 084, 090 or about anything with the bar studs on the right side of the saw. i can have it shipped anywhere world wide. any bar will fit with the mill. my GB catalog only lists .404 ripping chain with a chipper tooth, i can order real ripping chain from other sources (i wont even sell "ripping chain" thats not a chisel bit) i plan on buying another mill sometime. i used to have one and enjoyed working with it. dont worry about asking too many questions, theres no such thing!

Not realy pyro, since we are talking abot GB mills, but thanks for the interest
Ill PM you, NWCS since it seems to be a two person conversation.
Dont want to bore the other guys :)

NWCS said:
the main advantage of the GB mill is instead of claming to the bar and letting the powerhead wobble around and possibly bend or break it mounts to the bar studs, eliminating that un-needed stress. i dont have a scanner but heres the best i could do, took a picture of the catalog pictures.

I can actually see that as being a big benefit. I think that I am going to make up something to conect the saw more solidly to the Alaskan.

Can you still access the side chain adjuster with the GB mill attached? I cannot tell from the picture.

Pyro, its a nightmare, but there are sawmills made by Granberg(alaskans)
and sawmills made by GB a.k.a Griffiths & Beerens (better known for bars ). Its quite easy to find Granberg mills on the web, but I found it nearly impossible to find GB mills.
(I only found a few mentions, mostly on this site.) I think you may be a little confused
I bloody well was.

Last edited:
To me it seems like the mill clamping to the bar only would be a benefit. That way everytime you need to clean/service the saw you don't have to disassemble the entire mill. And I figure that a bar won't last long anyways with milling...it's sure to wear out the rails before the strain of the saw's weight affects the bar, IMHO. I think I'd stick with a good solid bar, though, just in case ...if I was going above a 24" mill.

But maybe I'm wrong. You could ask Granberg about it, they've been selling them for a long time. Send them an email...I'd be interested in reading their response.

Joshua said:
Pyro, its a nightmare, but there are sawmills made by Granberg(alaskans)
and sawmills made by GB a.k.a Griffiths & Beerens (better known for bars ). Its quite easy to find Granberg mills on the web, but I found it nearly impossible to find GB mills.
(I only found a few mentions, mostly on this site.) I think you may be a little confused
I bloody well was.

ah, sorry. now i understand...

CaseyForrest said:
Yes;
The setup comes with those 2 long bar nuts that take an allen screw to mount the mill to the saw.

Two questions...

1) Can you get at the adjuster on the Stihl without removing the mill?

2) Does the GB Mill fasten to the end of the bar tip on the chain saw? I can't see from the picture..

It looks like a more solid setup than my alaskan mill

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back