Jonsered restore complete! (pics inside, dial-up beware)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you may remember I showed up a few months ago asking for input on restoring my father's 25 yr. old Jonsered 70E. I "borrowed" the saw for a couple months to perform the work. I moved it around his pole barn for a couple months so he lost track of it, then it disappeared with me when I was home to visit one weekend. He never knew it was missing! Here is the thread to avoid rehashing the entire story:

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=24806

I'm happy to report that all the work was successful, a new Poulan bar and chain were bolted on and the thing eats wood as well as it ever did! :rock:

Getting started - my work space set up, saw has the cover off
Carnage.jpg

Cover off, working on going after the flywheel
Clutch.jpg

On the recommendation of an Arboristsite member, I fabricated my own puller for the flywheel that is pressed onto a tapered spindle. I went to 2 saw shops that looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for help, so I had to make my own. This is a piece of plate steel and I drilled holes at the exact spacing of 3 threaded holes in the top of the flywheel.
PA170053.jpg

Extracting the flywheel
PA170054.jpg

PA170055.jpg

The culprit exposed (SEM unit)
PA170056.jpg

Bad SEM unit removed
PA170057.jpg

continued in next post.........

Last edited:
New unit installed, now routing the wire to the "On/Off" switch
PA170059.jpg

The flywheel back on and things getting cleaned up
PA170058.jpg

The last pieces on before bolting the cover back on
PA170060.jpg

PA170061.jpg

Ready to go for another 25 yrs.!
P5280033.jpg

I didn't photo document the overall cleaning but I had fun digging 25 yrs. worth of oil soaked saw dust from most nooks and crannies on that thing. I looked at the carb and piston and everything looked really good, so there was not a rebuild of those parts. I did buy rebuild kits for each in the event they are needed. I was also able to obtain a new OEM bar oil cap that didn't leak. I removed the muffler, sanded then painted it with a high temp. flat black paint to spruce it up a bit.

When I was home last fall, my dad was running one of his other saws in the yard. I didn't have the bar or chain yet, but I (safely) walked up behind him and fired this one up. He was quite surprised and was amazed at the amount of info and parts I found online!

I'd like to thank all of you who offered kind words of encouragment and especially George Blake who hooked me up with the parts that even made the rebuild possible. :cheers:

Last edited:
Not to be critical here but you were working with the FLYWHEEL not the clutch, The clutch is on the other side of the saw. Glad to see you got it going though.

Scott

cuttinscott said:
Not to be critical here but you were working with the FLYWHEEL not the clutch

Oops, you're right. Sorry, I posted this late last night. Edits made above.

nice saw lost of power may be a tad bit heavy:popcorn: :jawdrop:

NICE job! Lets hope your new ignition holds out for a good long while :clap: My fingers are crossed for ya!

Back