Big Bar On The 7900???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 variables as far as I am concerned!

Type of wood
Type of chain
Size rim sprocket.

Bet it would pull a 36" full skip, 7 pin sprocket no sweat, but I don't own one...yet!:greenchainsaw:

Four Paws said:
3 variables as far as I am concerned!

Type of wood
Type of chain
Size rim sprocket.

Bet it would pull a 36" full skip, 7 pin sprocket no sweat, but I don't own one...yet!:greenchainsaw:

OK, since it is mostly hardwoods here I say:

7 pin ( you would be a fool to run an 8 on a real long bar IMO......on a stock saw)

hardwood

Full-skip Full-chisel chain!!!

Last edited:
We've got them out with up to a 32" B&C.
Most common is 20" & 24" and some with 28" & 32" bars.

Steve

I have found that 28" works well with skip or full comp running a 7pin in hardwoods. I'd think that 32" would be fine with skip.

With 28":

7900_28.jpg

I ran a 32" skip FC round in some 28" black oak, no problems. Made cookies 3"-4" thick for my folks out of it. Didnt even fase it at all, was like a laser going through the wood.
32bar20.jpg

I have only run a 20" on mine. Burried in seasoned walnut, it never slows down, the power is incredible. I can imagine that it would pull a 30' without much problem, but for larger than 20" I pull out the 9010.

Jim

TopJimmy said:
I have only run a 20" on mine. Burried in seasoned walnut, it never slows down, the power is incredible. I can imagine that it would pull a 30' without much problem, but for larger than 20" I pull out the 9010.

Jim

So, does that mean you run a 14" on the 5100?:hmm3grin2orange:

I run a 24" on mine. It rips through dead oak. I would think you could go 36" with a skip chain no problem. I just ordered a 42" bar for my husky 2100 stump saw. I will try it on my 7900 just for kicks.

Four Paws said:
So, does that mean you run a 14" on the 5100?:hmm3grin2orange:

I've been looking for a 13" 3/8 050 for mine, seriously.

I have had a 28" on mine. It cut much better than I thought it would. I did it to test it out, but wouldn't be afaid to run it like that all the time. Mine normally wears a 20" or 24", depending on what kind of mood i'm in at the moment.

Freakingstang said:

I have had a 28" on mine. It cut much better than I thought it would. I did it to test it out, but wouldn't be afaid to run it like that all the time. Mine normally wears a 20" or 24", depending on what kind of mood i'm in at the moment.

The Carlton Forest Champ bars at Bailey's ($15) are nice. Picked up a 13" for my 416 Shinny. Problem is they are .325. But, they are mini Forester Pro bars, replacable tip...I can post up a picture tomorrow if you want.

A 13" bar with a 9 pin would flat out rip on that 5100:jawdrop:

Freakingstang said:

Here's what a 13" looks like on a 7900!

attachment.php

attachment.php

166, where did you get those spikes? Been looking for a bigger set for mine. Also looks like you have a magnesium side cover...the 5100s are plastic! Are those 7900 spikes?

Edit - DUH...I looked at the pics and missed the part about it being a 7900...thought it looked a little big! It's late...

I think the 5100s need a bigger spike - those nubs don't do much in the softwood out here! I was going to look into having some made out of sheet steel on a CNC plasma machine at my local fab-shop. But, there was no interest on this forum...even posted a thread about it.

TopJimmy said:
16" and I run a 12" on the 346.

13" is standard on the 353/346xp and MS260 here - no spikes, and a lot of people use them that way, and like it.....
I never heard of 12" with small Husky mount, are you sure it isn't a 13"?

Btw I don't like the stubby 13" bars - they don't balance the saw properly imo.

SawTroll said:
13" is standard on the 353/346xp and MS260 here - no spikes, and a lot of people use them that way, and like it.....
I never heard of 12" with small Husky mount, are you sure it isn't a 13"?

Btw I don't like the stubby 13" bars - they don't balance the saw properly imo.

I think that the difference between 12 & 13 is just how the manufactures label them. The bar I run on that saw is a Windor that is 20 years old. It is marked as a 12" bar. I think that the bar husky sells they call a 13", but I think they both have the same number of drivers (56). Without the spikes, mine has 12" of useable bar.

Imo the difference in weight between the 12" and the 16" does not amount to enought to affect the balance. I used to have two 346's, one with a 12" and the other with a 16", I don't remember picking up either saw and thinking that it felt any different than the other.

Jim

Back