Need help splitting case on my 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice on how to split the case on my 066 without damaging anything. I don't have a manual but know there is a great wealth of knowledge on this site about these types of procedures. However I haven't been able to find any on this specific model of saw. If I knew how it was supposed to be done according to the manual I'm sure I could build a jig to get it apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

First you need a manual... Some one will help you out on AS...;)

I have your PM.. sorry, been buried and...

I'll photo my old rigs/jigs, and the real stihl tools ... Be back later today...

Lakeside53 said:
First you need a manual... Some one will help you out on AS...;)

I have your PM.. sorry, been buried and...

I'll photo my old rigs/jigs, and the real stihl tools ... Be back later today...

Why can I never be as subtle as you...:blob2:

I beleive there is only one service manual... and it's for the older 064/066; nothing specific to the 660.

One thing to be careful of with manuals and IPLs is that they don't contain the techical updates... of which there are many for the 066->MS660.

Lakeside53 said:
I beleive there is only one service manual... and it's for the older 064/066; nothing specific to the 660.

One thing to be careful of with manuals and IPLs is that they don't contain the techical updates... of which there are many for the 066->MS660.

Thanks... Good point on the tech bulletins. I have down-loaded this:)

lumberjackchef said:
Wher do you go to download the tech bulletins?

I probably have quite a few of them, but I've never gotten round to naming the files as something I can recognise. I'll have a rummage throught them and try to post the relevant ones.

Okay, I've sorted through them all and I have 17 service bulletins relating to the 066.

Really Cool

What a great place this is,,,, So much knowledge and good information:popcorn:

I really appreciate all who help us new comers out...

Coolest website on the planet if ya like chainsaws

Stihl Case splitting pictures - part 1 of 2

Starting with a "striped down" crankcase...

Take out the case screws (count them!) and punch though the two dowel pins. Remove the chain tensioner.

Here's the tools I use for a couple of years for both splitting and reassembling cranks/cases:

attachment.php

Here what I use now - Stihl dealer tools - really useful when you have to deal with many different cases/cranks. These tools not only split the cases and push out the cranks, but also have various left and right threaded attachments to pull the crank back into the bearings.

attachment.php

The old way - clutch side first:

attachment.php

Using the Stihl tool. This tools is really slick - pushes a crank out really easy and fits all the stihl models. A bar nut wrench is all you need to turn it.

attachment.php

and done...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back