Doh, that's not oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last weekend I see my neighbor, she says a tree fell in her yard and is partially on her neighbors driveway. I ask her "What kind of tree" She says oak. Are you sure? yes.

So I say I'll happily remove it for her. Well I get there and take a look at it. It is covered with lichens and has clearly been vertically seasoning for a while. I can't find any leaves on the ground or gumballs on the ground.

The wood is well dry and appears to look like some white oak I have, but I can't really see the grain. So I cut it into doublefirewood legnth and remove it. I get rid of the little sticks and sweep both her and her neighbors driveway.

At home I split some. Hey the grain doesn't look like oak. Look in the back of my PU. One solitary gumball. Now I got a half cord of gum in my yard for all my hard work. :deadhorse: :newbie:

Ahhh, just doesn't get better than this.

good spring/fall wood burns nice with moderate heat

also good if your wife is like me and no matter how hot the house is she need to see flames in the wood stove, I cut a bunch of poplar last year for some land clearing and I figured I would use it for firewood at first I was upset all that work for a low engery wood but now it is great I burn "good" wood for heat and the poplar for show and to keep a warm house warm, even if it is not the best for warming a cold house.

Sorry to break this too you as long as it is seasoned both hard and soft wood produce about the same amount of creasol

just burn well seasoned and with good airflow and you should be good with creasol no matter what type of wood you burn

Coworker of my wife, guy who lives in Denver, told her he had an oak, green, that had come down in his yard, would her husband [me, of course], maybe want to drive the 50 miles to his house, it was a big tree, I cut, I haul, good firewood, big tree. I said, wait, oak in Denver, trying to remember seeing oak trees [or much of any hardwood] down there. I said, no, I don't want to do it 'cuz it ain't oak and he's probably looking at cottonwood which burns but isn't worth driving three round trips to cut and carry [he estimated three pickup loads] since we live on our own 12 acres of pine/ponderosa anyway [though I'd'a hightailed it down there for real oak]. Well, he showed up at work one day, had the "tree" all cut up anyway and loaded it into the back end of her Toyota 4Runner...loaded the ENTIRE tree. When she got it home, I unloaded it, smelled terrible and wasn't oak and I never figured out what it was but the largest diameter limb was "maybe" 2 inches. Most smaller than that. It still sits out there on the hillside. Now and then one of the five dogs takes a notion to drag one branch out and play with it. Oak my a*s.

Sorry to break this too you as long as it is seasoned both hard and soft wood produce about the same amount of creasol

just burn well seasoned and with good airflow and you should be good with creasol no matter what type of wood you burn

Exactly! Even unseasoned wood is fine if the secondary-burn airflow of the stove is set-up to handle it. It's all in the combustion characteristics, not the wood.

Latest posts

Back