Throttle blipping habit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Did you ever work around someone who constantly blipps the throttle on a saw when its not in the cut! Brrmmmmmmmm----- brummm --brrumm--brummm, :chainsaw: constantly! drives me nuts!:confused: I can see it necessary sometimes on a cold saw for a few seconds.
It is interesting to listen to people in the distance cutting wood. You hear bogging and rocking to make the saw cut and that throttle blipping. Ocassionally you hear someone cutting that you can envision as knowing how to run a saw and sharpen a chain.

Dayuuum Frank, I admit it happens to me hitting the throttle also sometimes, just for the fun of it. I looooove the power and acceleration of a well tuned two cycle engine. Silly I know, but that's still the boy in me, I guess :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Those using smaller powerheads sometimes have to blip the throttle out of the cut to clear chips from the cutting attachment...especially on long horizontal cuts and/or ripping cuts with the grain. Nothing constant, though.

Goosing...is that like CPR? Who dies, the saw or the sawyer?

They're probably Harley riders. Virtually every Harley rider does this too. It's like some kind of disease. I never rode a Harley but have ridden with many who do.

Guess what? - V twins vibrate at idle. That's normal. It won't stall. As soon as you accelerate it'll smooth out, I promise. So enough with the throttle blipping already.

Joe

They're probably Harley riders. Virtually every Harley rider does this too. It's like some kind of disease. I never rode a Harley but have ridden with many who do.

Guess what? - V twins vibrate at idle. That's normal. It won't stall. As soon as you accelerate it'll smooth out, I promise. So enough with the throttle blipping already.

Joe

Seems to me I see guys on V-Twin bike's from a lot of manufactures do that....

Aint just a Harley thing..

Hmm, I saw this very activity going on at the Dolmar display, at the show I was at this weekend. They had a woodcarver there, and any time he was sizing up his next move, it was "wing-wing-wing,wing-wing,wing." Jeez! I hope that's not a sign of their performance. (but I did see him having quite some difficulty starting his saws :confused: I thought, "that's not the best advertising")

I think it is a terminal disease. If you put those guys on a hoe or FE loader they will switch to rattling the bucket open four or five times every dump, like they were trying to shake snot off a finger; wear the linkage out and hammer the cylinders in no time at all. A company I worked for had to run off an operator that couldnt stop doing that. Just couldnt help himself.
I think Fish is right about where it started, but it is contagious and impressionable young guys like Belgian get conditioned just by watching! Lol :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

blipping

Crofter, don't kid yourself, I've caught harry homowners doing the same blipping with their electric chainsaws.

Electr-blipping

Crofter, don't kid yourself, I've caught harry homowners doing the same blipping with their electric chainsaws.

You know you're right. Over the years I've seen a lot of guys blipping the bejeezus out of Sawzalls (the handyman's favourite WMD)

Joe

I do it to make sure theres still bar oil flowing, just like the manual says.:clap:

Pump and blip, pump and blip.......

But then again I prefer saws with manual oilers, why I do this with my pickup is still a mystery, even to me.

Old saws, it has been mentioned, you had to, they seldom would idle , seals were not as good and leaked , bearings were not built at tightly, whacking out the timing on the points, oil would drop out of the mix, blipping was just another way to keep it running.

It took me years to learn how to run the bar-oil tank empty at the same time the fuel would run out, just as long it seems to find a place to rest my thumb on an auto-oiler, and showing no sign as of yet on the throttle thing,,,, I will confess,

My name is Kevin, and I to am a throttle blipper, there I said it.

Last edited:
Back