stihl 029super, and 036 pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
picked up a couple of saw last night, need some info.

I am not finding much info on the 029super, was it an oddball?
it starts/runs and idles fine, needs an airfilter, and a clutch drum.

can I get the fine steel mesh air filter instead of the fleece type for this saw?

the 036pro:

engine turns over, looks decent thru the exhuast port, flywheel wobbles, I assume crank bearing.
How big of a job will this be?

I might go ahead and replace both bearings if I have to take it down that far.
match bearings up at local suplpy house, use Timken or some other brand?

I guess I would need seals too. I would of course check compression before going thru that much trouble on the saw.

thanks for your help!

The 029 is pretty much as the 290, but with different caps on the tanks....

....I wanted to say that neither is a very good saw, but I decided not to......:givebeer: :givebeer:

..that 036 is much more interesting!

Last edited:
did some cutting with the 029 today, MUCH stronger than my older 024/026 hybrid saw.

there was a ms310 in the deal too, in better shape than the 036.

I need some parts.

and some information, How do I remove the flywheel and crank bearing?

Ill get oily tonight and dig deeper into it.

Im used to working on 2 strokes, but not saws.

The bearings can be bought much cheaper than stihl if you have a local bearing supply place. I bought the bearings and seals from a supplier, MUCH cheaper than stihl's prices. I read on here somewhere that you cant get the seals anywhere than stihl dealer. Thats not true. I got me seals for 3$ apiece. Stihl wants 13$. Got the bearings for 7$ apiece. Stihl wanted 26$. But, ya have to take the old bearings and or case in to have it sized, after ya get the old bearings out.

cool I had hoped for that, thanks Bowtie!

Now to figure out how to remove a 036 flywheel.

cool I had hoped for that, thanks Bowtie!

Now to figure out how to remove a 036 flywheel.

Look on ebay, sometimes there is a puller for sale pretty cheap. Another option is to call your stihl dealer and ask what they charge to pull it for you. There is another way...but you could possibly damage your flywheel. This involves loosening the nut, then LIGHTLY wedging a screwdriver or similar opposite each other behind the flywheel, then LIGHTLY rap the nut loosened on the crank, or the flywheel, but this is real risky...I will be chastised for typing this...

Last edited:
The proper way is with a flywheel puller which can be bought on ebay real reasonable. If you don't want to spend the money there are other homebrew ways to remove them, but you do risk the potential to damage parts. If you plan on working on a few stihl saws I'd just invest in the flywheel puller. The puller for the 036 works on many stihl models.

I used the old pry and tap method, it popped right off.

NOW, I have to figure out how to remove the clutch assembly and seperate the cases.
I cant see how the clutch comes off, although it has a hex head, is it threaded onto the crank?

I will head to the local library and get a repair book or manual as soon as I can.

going to be a low budget project 036, it will either work for cheap, or it wont.

:cheers:

thanks for the tips guys!

Stick a piece of rope through the spark plug hole, then use a scrench, or what size wrench fits the hex head on the clutch. Remember that the clutch is reverse thread, so clockwise loosens. I usually stick rope in plug hole, then hit the scrench or ratchet with a hammer good once or twice and they come loose. Good luck!

gotcha.

dangit, I need to give up on trying to wash my hands and come in here and check for info, Ill wear gloves and use the laptop in the garage, you guys are quick!

Ill get an impact wrench, and remove the clutch, reverse thread is good to know.

Thanks!

Stick a piece of rope through the spark plug hole, then use a scrench, or what size wrench fits the hex head on the clutch. Remember that the clutch is reverse thread, so clockwise loosens. I usually stick rope in plug hole, then hit the scrench or ratchet with a hammer good once or twice and they come loose. Good luck!

oops.

It spun right off, threads look fine.

Maybe for the first time in my life I was lucky.

I am done for the night, the 3 screws behind the oil pump are tight as hell, and I stabbed myself on the timber spike trying to brute force them.

More beers, I am done playing saw mechanic for tonight, time to fry up some tenderloins, and visit the wife.

Thanks for your help Bowtie, Ill get some pics of the process, so you guys can tell me what ive done wrong.

:cheers:

Dont thank me, thank all of the people here on Arboristsite, because they taught me what little I know. This forum is heaven for anyone wanting information on chainsaws and everything to do with the firewood/arborist industry! :clap:

ok,

thank EVERYONE. ( ive been here for a while by the way, lurk more than post)

Now another question.

036, starter handle, and rope are missing, and I found ONE black plastic 'dog' to engage the flywheel from the recoil inside the saw.

does it have two? or one?

and where can I order this?

from searching ebay, its not cost effective to buy parts for any stihl saws, its cheaper to buy complete saws, running or not, and then part off what you dont need.

The bearings can be bought much cheaper than stihl if you have a local bearing supply place. I bought the bearings and seals from a supplier, MUCH cheaper than stihl's prices. I read on here somewhere that you cant get the seals anywhere than stihl dealer. Thats not true. I got me seals for 3$ apiece. Stihl wants 13$. Got the bearings for 7$ apiece. Stihl wanted 26$. But, ya have to take the old bearings and or case in to have it sized, after ya get the old bearings out.

On an 036??? Nope..

The flywheel side can be roughtly matched, and you'll likely get away get away with it even though the innner raduises are different, but the crankshaft side is a custom bearing only avaiable from Stihl. Seals.. cheapest way is to buy the SET OF GASKETS from Stihl which includes seals.. about $14 for everything.

From recollection of the 034 I used to have, the plastic pulley can take one dog or two. You need a different retainer clip for the two dog set-up, but the one dog works just fine.

ok,

thank EVERYONE. ( ive been here for a while by the way, lurk more than post)

Now another question.

036, starter handle, and rope are missing, and I found ONE black plastic 'dog' to engage the flywheel from the recoil inside the saw.

does it have two? or one?

and where can I order this?

from searching ebay, its not cost effective to buy parts for any stihl saws, its cheaper to buy complete saws, running or not, and then part off what you dont need.

036 has two pawls and a dual retaining spring. Buy it from your stihl dealer -it's real cheap...

Last edited:
Back