Ice Storm pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
Just got power back from the ice storm in the Midwest. Been without power for 2 days. Lot of us are still in the dark. The damage the ice did to trees and powerlines is crazy. We have been cooking and heating out house with our fireplace. We drug the mattress into the living room and turned it into a refugee camp. During the past 2 days I have been helping out with my saws cutting trees away from houses and roadways. Its been quite the experience. Still not as bad as the one we had on 2002 though.

wow.

I think here in NW Arkansas, we have BARELY skirted that disaster.

thanks for your help, here and there!

:cheers:

Just got power back from the ice storm in the Midwest. Been without power for 2 days. Lot of us are still in the dark. The damage the ice did to trees and powerlines is crazy. We have been cooking and heating out house with our fireplace. We drug the mattress into the living room and turned it into a refugee camp. During the past 2 days I have been helping out with my saws cutting trees away from houses and roadways. Its been quite the experience. Still not as bad as the one we had on 2002 though.

Know what you mean, In the Jan. ice storm this year we where with out power for 4 days, some where out for 2 or 3 weeks. We had lots of limbs
down plus it up rooted many trees.......I still don't have all of them
cut up.......I now have a Honda 2K and 8K generators.

Bowtie, Be careful, I think cold weather is on its way.

Westar Energy told us could be 10 day before power was back. I was surprised when I talked to them outside my house today that they thought it would be on if there wasnt any more problems. My boss lives west of me out in the country and he wont get power until at least Monday.

Cool pics. Scary too.

Are elm trees pretty common there? I think I spotted a couple in your pics.

Cool pics. Scary too.

Are elm trees pretty common there? I think I spotted a couple in your pics.

Yes, lots of p$ss elm. That and cottonwood and hackberry are the trees that broke more than any. A few mulberry trees that probably had ant damage and the usual suspects of softwood trees litter the town. Looks and sounds like a war zone between the tree branches exploding, generators running, and the lack of people. (Most pulled up stakes and left town). i hate to see the damage, but it was quite the experience. second time we have been in an ice storm, but still amazing.

Careful out there. Make sure you're wearing a hard hat!

I had to turn down quite a few people for the time being as branches were still falling. I told them if the weather and conditons were right later I would try to help if the tree services hadnt made it there.

I dont think my wife will be complaining about all the saws and projects and firewood after what happened. She always liked the fireplace, but now I think she likes it a lot more. Thats gonna be my excuse to get the 361 soon...:hmm3grin2orange:

I feel for ya Bowtie. My son is in college in Salina. He sent some pics...not good. I thought we were gonna get it here too but nobody without elect for too long. Stay safe and good luck.

I had to turn down quite a few people for the time being as branches were still falling. I told them if the weather and conditons were right later I would try to help if the tree services hadnt made it there.

Like I told my wife........Them damn limbs are going to lay there
until the ice is gone!

I feel for ya Bowtie. My son is in college in Salina. He sent some pics...not good. I thought we were gonna get it here too but nobody without elect for too long. Stay safe and good luck.

I live just North of Salina about 15 miles. Trigger, I told my wife the same thing. Most my limbs are from that damn chinese elm and my silver maple. I dont trust that until the ice is off of them. If the elm wasnt so big and power lines so close, Id murder it.:greenchainsaw:

Up here

Not to detract away from your misfortune bro, we had that happen here back in 1998. We were w/out power in some areas for up to 30 days here. My cousin lost about $100,000 in pine logs. It's almost 10yrs later and we still see the effects of that storm all over the place here... Next time I'm out hiking or at my cousin's woodlot I'll get some other pics for you of the damage as it sits now all these years later. Below are a couple links for you to read and see some pics. God bless bro and stay safe out there.

http://4peaks.com/fk1ice.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Ice_Storm

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Env99/icestorm.html

On a side note, your gonna have a ton of good farrrrrwood to sell after eh?

:cheers: eh?

I might sell some, but most I plan to stockpile and burn. What I dont need I will split and send to my Dad and Father-in law that arent in physical shape to do their own.

Latest posts

Back