It's mine!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's mine! All mine i tells ya!

Took off this morning to check on the 3 trees a buddy told me about. Lady (and hubby) are eager to get rid of them but..."those are the 3 in the pasture, then there are those two over here in the machinery lot"

Hmmm...Not really very big - about 1/2 cord or less each, need to pull fence for one, rig and pull with PU on other 4. No problem...

then I asked about an abandoned farmstead I passed a couple miles down the road "We own that also and you can have all the locust but don't touch the others" :jawdrop:

End-StJ2.jpg

They are bigger than they look and there is at least one more out of the picture to the right plus one hidden behind the tree on the left. I started to cut the one in the foreground but realized I would have to change to the 25" bar. Changed to the one partly hidden by the tree to the left. Late start - only got 1/2 the tree for 1/2 load before I pooped out again.

Even the guy who tipped me off to this find doesn't want any.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Beginning on the 5 up at the house on Saturday if no rain.

That is enough cutting for this fall and into next year. Not even considering the other site where the guy wants a batch out.

Been trying to find locust for 2 years and having almost no luck. Now in one week I have 2 big finds. Also called a guy tonight and told him I wouldn't be working on a 2+ cord one. That is huge, really bad lean, and stuff it can hit - professional takedown job with bucket.

Harry K

Last edited:
not bad!

looks like you can just drop them as you please.

doesn't get any better than that.

Been trying to find locust for 2 years and having almost no luck. Now in one week I have 2 big finds. Also called a guy tonight and told him I wouldn't be working on a 2+ cord one. That is huge, really bad lean, and stuff it can hit - professional takedown job with bucket.

Harry K

The harder, and more you look, the luckier you get. Funny how it works that way.

Great find.

Great find man! By the terrain in the picture, are you in the Pasco area?
Traveled back and forth from Vancouver to Spokane when I lived in Vancouve in my growing up years. Your picture reminds me of the pasco area, dont know why.

Turnkey, you're a mess! (I mean that in a polite way!)

I have enjoyed reading of your quest to find, and conquer, any and all Locust trees in the Western Hemisphere.:)

How is it you find all the good standing timber all the time?? :confused: Nice score.... AGAIN!

Unfortuanately I find a lot but getting cutting rights has only worked out 3 times this year...well 4 if you count the huge one I turned down. Still have a couple deserted farmsteads that I haven't checked on. Also see a lot of 'yard' trees that will come available (they are dyng) but all would be major headaches on takedown.

Harry K

not bad!

looks like you can just drop them as you please.

doesn't get any better than that.

You are correct except for the farm equipment he has parked around there. I will ask him to park them elsewhere (plenty of space for them) when I am ready to work. Never had a person so cooperative. He has already moved two old trucks out of my way for tomorrow and willbe giving me a short lesson on starting/running his big wheel tractor in case I need to use it.

Harry K

Brought home #2 of the 5 at the house. There are, I think, 7 down at the other lot - 2 big ones, a couple small and some medium.

Picked up another huge one today (maybe). After I finish the 3 in the pasture the lady is going to have a monster taken down by an arborist. If he doesn't take the wood I get it. I haven't been up to that one but am guessing around 4' DBH

bigun.jpg

Today I put down the 3 I originally was chasing. Had the farmer park his wheel tractor up the side hill to use as an anchor point and PU for pulling. That sidehill is much steeper than it looks. No way was I gonna try putting a tractor (much less a PU) sideways up there.

anchor.jpg

3down.jpg

Took me 2 hours to have them all down. Lots of up ladder to set chains/cable, back and forth on hook-ups etc. Still managed to work up and clear the brush from the one on the right before leaving 5 hours work and I was really beat out.

Harry K

Last edited:
Harry,

What do you do with the brush from all your trees? There doesn't seem to be much of anything around in most of your pictures and I haven't heard you mention that you have a chipper, so what do you do with all the brush?

Harry,

What do you do with the brush from all your trees? There doesn't seem to be much of anything around in most of your pictures and I haven't heard you mention that you have a chipper, so what do you do with all the brush?

Hmmm...I thought I answered that last night. Must have forgotten to 'send'. anyhow:

I pile the brush as near to the tree as I can, usually start it right in the middle of the 'top'. Burn it in the winter with snow on the ground.

The current job requires that I throw it onto his big flatbed farm truck to be hauled to his burn pile. The truck is out of the picture just downhill from my PU.

Harry K

Now you've done it, Turnkey.

I have located a few Locust trees that need to come down.

One of them is over 3' in diameter and has huge clusters of nasty looking thorns. The other few are between 18" and 8" DBH. Only one of the whole bunch doesn't have the thorns all bunched up. They're evenly spaced every 2 inches all over the tree.

Man, those thorns remind me of cutting fence rows as a kid. I hated it.

Some of the trees are really nice and it's super close to my house. I should be able to use the four wheeler to get the wood if I get the "yes" from the powers that be.

They are supposed to let me know by the beginning of next week.

Now you've done it, Turnkey.

I have located a few Locust trees that need to come down.

One of them is over 3' in diameter and has huge clusters of nasty looking thorns. The other few are between 18" and 8" DBH. Only one of the whole bunch doesn't have the thorns all bunched up. They're evenly spaced every 2 inches all over the tree.

Man, those thorns remind me of cutting fence rows as a kid. I hated it.

Some of the trees are really nice and it's super close to my house. I should be able to use the four wheeler to get the wood if I get the "yes" from the powers that be.

They are supposed to let me know by the beginning of next week.

I think God put the thorns in locust trees to make us pay for taking them ;).

Making progress. Got the third tree worked up today and hauled. A bit over 1/2 cord and the PU did not like it. that stuff weighs heavy.

Day started out right well. Fresh chain on saw and it wouldn't cut crap - nothing but dust. My poor eyeballs say I forgot to do the rakers. Changed chains and was in business...up to the first refill.

No cap on the gas can (one of those plastic cans with the push-on cap. Obviously got heated up in the sun and blew it off. While fillign I was trying to emember were I last saw it. Then got to wondering why that saw was taking so much oil. Kept pouring. About the time the tank topped out it dawned on me that I had just filled the gas tank with bar oil, which meant that I had filled the oil tank with gas....hope the farmer doesn't mind the 'spill' on the ground.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back