Husqvarna 261 cylinder compatability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 261 is getting tired. Can I use a 262 cylinder/piston on this saw? Is there any other cylinder combinations I can bolt on and use? :chainsaw: All info greatly appreciated.

Cylinder is the same, 262xp piston will improve power, but you need the more open muffler and the clutch as well, to take full advantage.

No other options make any sense.

I can open/fabricate the muffler. Question about the clutch, what is the difference, Ive read this before somewhere. Thanks

I can open/fabricate the muffler. Question about the clutch, what is the difference, Ive read this before somewhere. Thanks

I don't know about the 261, but a 262 is a 3 shoe

My converted 261 was run with the stock 2 shoe clutch for a while without any problems. I belive some other members here have said the same thing.

I did go ahead and converted it to the 262xp 3 shoe clutch just because I happened to find one.

I put a P/C kit for the 262 from Baileys on my 261 and it is still running the 261 clutch. I don't feel like it has any more power than the stock 261 P/C but it is aftermarket. The casting was no where near as nice as the stock cylinder. I should say that it works great and I have no complaints other than I do want more power. I think I will tear it down this winter and see if I can't do a little porting job on it. Worst case scenerio is I have to buy a new P/C kit from Baileys.

I put a P/C kit for the 262 from Baileys on my 261 and it is still running the 261 clutch. I don't feel like it has any more power than the stock 261 P/C but it is aftermarket. The casting was no where near as nice as the stock cylinder. I should say that it works great and I have no complaints other than I do want more power. I think I will tear it down this winter and see if I can't do a little porting job on it. Worst case scenerio is I have to buy a new P/C kit from Baileys.

Did you change the muffler?

Did you change the muffler?

I hope so, because the stock 261 muffler is all choked up compared to the 262. I am using the Bailey's kit on my 262 and have been running an 18" .325 bar and chain with a 9 pin sprocket, and I have been very impressed with it. I was going to use it for limbing, but you can buck with that set-up.

18" .325 bar and chain with a 9 pin sprocket, and I have been very impressed with it. I was going to use it for limbing, but you can buck with that set-up.
How do you find the 9 pin sprocket? I have an 18" 8 pin .325 running full chisel 21LP and I find the saw bogs a little more with the 8 pin then the 7 pin I had before. I haven't even seen a 9 pin sprocket for sale.

I sell 9 pin .325 all the time but they are no longer available from Oregon. As fo the clutch I have found that the 261 clutch is a much lighter 2 shoe type that is good for throttle responce and limbing operations. The heaver 262 clutch has 3 shoes that is more suited to bucking larger wood and felling too.
On the 262 I had I changed the 3 shoe out to a 2 shoe, cause I like snappy saws (throttle responce)

I hope so, because the stock 261 muffler is all choked up compared to the 262. I am using the Bailey's kit on my 262 and have been running an 18" .325 bar and chain with a 9 pin sprocket, and I have been very impressed with it. I was going to use it for limbing, but you can buck with that set-up.

9-pin .325 is one of the "standard" options listed in the user manual for the MS361, so I believe it works well on a 262xp.

Diameter is just a small tad larger than on a 8-pin 3/8".

Hmm Thats interesting, I may try that setup sometime.
Hey Troll I will be up in Tromso next month, on the G.O. Sars!

Back