Dolmar 401 Initial Report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped today on the way to Findlay where my wife's from and picked up a little Dolmar 401. I got the saw with a 14" bar and two non-safety chains for $250 + tax. The saw was oily, so I know they had run it. I get to Findlay and head out to cut a few trees for firewood with my BIL. This one's a good guy:). The saw ran so poorly I could hardly use it. With any throttle input at all it just bogged out and wanted to die. Repeatedly pumping the throttle was the only way to get it to rev up. Once revved up, it ran great. I'm rembering others comments about the saw not running well for a few tanks. Well, this thing is virtually unusable. So back to the truck I went, the pocket knife came out and the limiter tabs came off the caps. A couple minutes later I had a saw that ran absolutley perfectly for the rest of the day. I set the carb by ear and put a tach on it after we finished cutting. It was at exactly 12K, the factory spec.

So now it was time for a little muffler mod. The construction of the muffler is such that I thought I could leave the baffling intact inside the muffler, this keeping sound to a minimum, and still recognize much improved flow. I simply enlarged the final exit hole and left the fire screen intact. In my books, this was a very mild muffler mod. The result was 13,200, while still 4-stroking a little. It's hard to believe a simple muffler mod can net an additional 1,200 RPMs. But I'm not the first to experience this with this saw. I'm anxious to run it tomorrow with the new found Rs it has.

After the initial go around with the carb, the saw ran perfectly all day. It was a pleasure to run. It handled nicely and had good power, especially considering it's brand new. It is not prone to bogging despite its small size. And this is with the bar buried in an Apple tree. Not soft wood. It could not keep up with my ported MS180 on a clock, but it did not feel much different in normal use. I think with a few mods it can easily surpass the performance of the 180. The muffler mod alone should make a significant difference.

The choke and kill switch are conveniently located. They are a little on the flimsy side but entirely adequate. It starts easily, idles perfectly, and has great throttle response. Even better than my 180.

How about that oiler that I've read needs a diaper. I didn't find this to be the case at all. The difference is that this saw does use a tank of oil per tank of fuel. We're all too used to our Stihls that are much more conservative. Yes, when tuning, oil is dripping everywhere. It has no where to go. In normal use, it is a non issue. The bar cover and sprocket area are no dirtier or oilier than any saw. I would not waste my money on the adjustable pump.

Is this 401 a better saw than my MS180? I can't give that an honest answer yet. My gut reaction is to say yes, simply based on the pro style construction. The negative is that it doesn't have the RPMs of more modern saws. A lot of that can be corrected with a simple muffler mod. I'm sure the rest of that can be realized with a port job. Yes, I'm a Stihl head. I wish this saw was grey and red, LOL. I've yet to decide if the 180 will go bye bye to be replaced with a 401. For all the hating of the construction of the 180, it's a pleasure to run. It's currently stronger than the 401 but is broken in and has more mods. Give those same mods to the Dolmar and I think it would be a different story.

Bottom line, it's a great little saw if you know how to tune a carb. I'm still trying to figure out why Dolmar wants to do away with this model and replace it with heavier saws that might as well be skipped for a 50cc saw. This is a great little saw that deserves respect.

Told Ya!

Congratulations they are truly a great little saw.

Mike

P.S. Don't forget to add it to your sig.

Last edited:
When and if you take the cylinder off be careful with the piston and conn rod assy. the rod will slide left and the needle bearings will fall out similar to the older small stihls did.

Congrats on the lil Dolmar PS401 it always has been a great saw its just a dated design is all been out since the early eighty's

Like I have said before the muffler is very restrictive in stock form its like a 5 min. mod to fix that as you have already found out

Scott

It's amazing what some tuning can do for some saw's!
I have a 46cc Poulan pro That was brand new just cut a few fence post that was given to me. It was a dog set so lean that it would have burnt up if used to cut firewood.
I ran it set the carb up, did a cut shut it off half way through checked the plug looked good. Ordered the old two piece muffler for it did a mild muffler job widened the Exhaust port a tiny bit matched muffler to it.
Now it's my truck saw and is at least 25% better than stock plus other than my time I have 20 bucks in it.
Cant wait to see what you do to this little Dolmar!

Bottom line, it's a great little saw if you know how to tune a carb. I'm still trying to figure out why Dolmar wants to do away with this model and replace it with heavier saws that might as well be skipped for a 50cc saw. This is a great little saw that deserves respect.

three letters EPA

Scott

No, you can't like it! There's another thread going that says Dolmars suck, I just read it!!! It's gonna burn up in 3 tanks and sit on your bench forever. :laugh:

I think you'll like it. Great job on the 5 minute muffler mod too! I thought about doing my 5100, but I don't have a tach yet, so I am inclined to leave it for the moment...

I'm glad you tried a Dolmar. For the record, I'm not anti ANYTHING, I'm mostly anti-anti EVERYTHING, I dislike when guys say "Stihl/Husky/Dolmar/Echo/ whatever sucks, my boss's neighbors brother's dad had one, and it wouldn't cut worth a crap, hence, all of that brand are horrible saws. :bang: Glad to see that you're willing to try stuff! Good luck with it, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. :rockn:

.... I'm still trying to figure out why Dolmar wants to do away with this model and replace it with heavier saws that might as well be skipped for a 50cc saw. This is a great little saw that deserves respect.

Very good report, and :agree2: with what is quoted above!

Scott is probably right though........

Last edited:
Brad, Sounds like you had about the same gains as I did with the Muff mod.

I predicted you would have it tore apart in less than 20 minutes on your other thread!:)

Zero to muffler mod in how many hours? :bowdown:
Good report, been waiting for it actually.
Dok
About 1 1/2 tanks of fuel. I'm not at home so didn't have access to tools sooner:). I did want to establish a baseline and make sure the saw was fine though.

When and if you take the cylinder off be careful with the piston and conn rod assy. the rod will slide left and the needle bearings will fall out similar to the older small stihls did.
Scott
I saw that in the IPL. It's a pain to have loose rollers all over when you're not expecting it. Not so bad if you know it. Reassembly is easy with a little grease. Without grease, it's nearly impossible.

Tuned to exact factory specs by ear?..I'm impressed.:bowdown:
OK, so I got lucky:)

three letters EPA
Scott
No doubt! They get all the blame from this end. I just don't understand how a saw an be sold running like that. It was unuseable. If any of you buy a new saw and it exhibits symptoms like this, don't put up with it. It doesn't just need some run time. It needs tuned!

Brad,
I gather your saw was way too lean?
Way too lean!

I predicted you would have it tore apart in less than 20 minutes on your other thread!:)
So how long do I have to get the cylinder off and a grinder in there:)

I set the carb by ear and put a tach on it after we finished cutting. It was at exactly 12K, the factory spec.

Tuned to exact factory specs by ear?..I'm impressed.:bowdown:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :D

J/K Brad... couldn't resist. :laugh:

Nice report, I've been recommending that saw for quite a while now. Doesn't take much to get it where it needs to be...... wana try another fine runner in that category??? Try to get your hands on a Ex Lax... (ooops) I mean Red Max 3800. A little tweak here and there and they will scream with the best of them in that class.

As for the future of the 401, don't be surprised when it out cuts your 200 when all is said and done. ;)

+1 for you, Brad.

Good, well written report and a chuckle over the nearly-instant muffler mod. :cheers:

Last edited:
When I got mine I tried to set it with a tach and without a tach. I couldn't get it running right so I decided to ship it back to the manufacturer and let them take a stab at it. It seems to be ok now just maybe a little rich on the high. I have to believe that they did something to mine other than adjust the carb.

I did't get to spend the time I wanted to today with the 401. We were busy playing with the big saws:). I did manage to get a short clip of it with the bar nearly buried in oak. It was not enough for me to compare it to pre muffler mod performance. It did run very well though. You'll enjoy the little joke at the end of the clip:cheers:. I hope you enjoy the vid because I uploaded it via dialup:dizzy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNmqE5YVMQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNmqE5YVMQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Try to get your hands on a Ex Lax... (ooops) I mean Red Max 3800. A little tweak here and there and they will scream with the best of them in that class.

Looks like another nice little pro built saw. I'm on dialup this weekend and can't seem to find the max RPMs. How's it compare in build and performance to the 401?

Last edited:
Good report.....Glad to hear you like it and keep us up to date on your future mods. For the record, my 401 will run out of oil before fuel so.....:dunno:

It's my experience that the 401 and 341 can't be tuned properly with the limiter caps on......My dealer originally pulled the low limiter tab and tuned it, then we went out back and cut a few cookies. It seemed to run pretty good at that time so I took her home with me. After using it a few more times I didn't think it was running just right, was still wanting to 4 stoke in the cut but couldn't get it to quit 4 stroking in the cut consistently so I yanked the high tab and leaned the high a little more.....bingo.....no more 4 stroking. Then it still seemed to hesitate just slightly while accelerating so I richened up the low and bingo, she has been running awesome ever since.

I see ya got a Dolmar hat! :clap:

Latest posts

Back