MS180 vs PS-401 vs G3800AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what little triming saw I'm going to keep. It's down to the ported MS180 I already have, the Dolmar PS-401, or the Redmax G3800AVS. My Dad has a stock MS180 to compare to my ported one. I've got a 401 here stock other than a muffler mod. I'm also considering buying a G3800AVS for comparison as well. Ideally, I would run all three stock saws in the same 10" Poplar log I have here. I'd then port the Dolmar and Redmax and compare them with my 180. I'm not sure if my ambition will last that long though. My search is driven with the hopes of finding a replacement for the 180 that has a vertically split magnesium case and bolt on cylinder. RPMs are important on a trimming/limbing saw. My MS180 turns 14,400. The 401 was 12,000 stock but is already at 13,200 with just a muffler mod. The 3800 is 13,000 stock. A couple questions. Which saw is best build, most durable? Will either saw equal or out perform my ported 180 once ported? Which one would you buy? I'm not interested in any other suggestions for saws that are over 9.5 lbs or don't have a pro style construction. I have a MS260 for that. Here are links to the above three saws. MS180, PS-401, G3800AVS

Last edited:
Way too much money for a tiny saw IMHO. I'll take something cheaper and hopefully make it perform like the MS200. Goofy looking saw anyway.

A man that spends the money that you do on saw's
is worried about the cost of an MS200. The cream of the crop
of small saw's. :greenchainsaw:.........to each his own :)

I'm trying to decide what little triming saw I'm going to keep. It's down to the ported MS180 I already have, the Dolmar PS-401, or the Redmax G3800AVS. My Dad has a stock MS180 to compare to my ported one. I've got a 401 here stock other than a muffler mod. I'm also considering buying a G3800AVS for comparison as well. Ideally, I would run all three stock saws in the same 10" Poplar log I have here. I'd then port the Dolmar and Redmax and compare them with my 180. I'm not sure if my ambition will last that long though. My search is driven with the hopes of finding a replacement for the 180 that has a vertically split magnesium case and bolt on cylinder. RPMs are important on a trimming/limbing saw. My MS180 turns 14,400. The 401 was 12,000 stock but is already at 13,200 with just a muffler mod. The 3800 is 13,000 stock. A couple questions. Which saw is best build, most durable? Will either saw equal or out perform my ported 180 once ported? Which one would you buy? I'm not interested in any other suggestions for saws that are over 9.5 lbs or don't have a pro style construction. I have a MS260 for that. Here are links to the above three saws. MS180, PS-401, G3800AVS

Have ya even got more than a couple tanks of fuel through that 401?.....My stock 401 really seemed to come into its own after 10 tanks or so!

Geez, you got 1200 rpm out of a simple muffler mod and you're debating about trading it in for a saw nobody seems to know anything about. Surely you can wring more juice out of it, with some additional mods!:chainsaw:

You truly do have a ailment....Can't finish one project, without starting another.....Good things come to those who wait! :)

You truly do have a ailment....Can't finish one project, without starting another.....Good things come to those who wait! :)

It's not that at all. The 401 isn't even mine. I bought it for another member. And what's wrong with testing more than one saw, doing it in phases, and then keeping the best one?

Geez, you got 1200 rpm out of a simple muffler mod and you're debating about trading it in for a saw nobody seems to know anything about.
Never stopped me before. Just because the masses haven't caught on doesn't mean it's not an excellent option.

Surely you can wring more juice out of it, with some additional mods!:chainsaw:
I fully intend to.

I already own the 180, the 401 isn't mine but I have here to test, and the mods are free. Why not test all three?

Last edited:
Just think what you could do with a 242XP, 15,500rpm stock!
I like mine a lot:)
I know its a touch heavier than the other choices but its a fun saw.

It's not that at all. The 401 isn't even mine. I bought it for another member.

I see....I didn't realize it wasn't yours.

Never stopped me before. Just because the masses haven't caught on doesn't mean it's not an excellent option.

It may be an excellent saw....:dunno:

Why not test all three?

Cool do it!....Just don't think anyone has all three of those saws to answer your question.....Go buy the Redmax and make a decision after your work is complete and all the saws have adequate time on them.

I see....I didn't realize it wasn't yours.

Cool do it!....Just don't think anyone has all three of those saws to answer your question.....Go buy the Redmax and make a decision after your work is complete and all the saws have adequate time on them.

No biggie. I know it's a lot of hassle to go through, but I'll never know unless I try them. I'll end up with one saw when I'm done. The others will be sold. I don't have enough dough to keep them all. I'm just hoping that others that may have played with either the Dolmar or Redmax may provide some valuable input and add to what we know about them.

Latest posts

Back