064 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got my 064 from Bruce Hopf. Went down to the PO about noon and picked it up. I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't disappointed. The saw is really nice. All that was missing was the bar cover and chain brake handle. The handbar was pretty bent up too. I already had all those parts ready to go though, including a gasket kit as well.

As soon as it came out of the box, I began breaking it down. There was some scoring on one side of the exhaust port, but not enough to even stick the rings. There was no transfer on the cylinder. I don't have my 066 P&C yet. So I decided to sand the piston, polish the rings, hone the cylinder and put it back together.

Everything went in the dishwasher. While waiting for that I removed the cage from the muffler. That's quite a job. I also opened up the original outlet.

Once everything was clean, out came the crank seals, flushed the bearings, in went the new seals, and it started taking shape again. Sqish with no gasket was only .015". So I made a .005 gasket from a grocery bag. I hit .020" right on the nose.

I thought the saw would have a Walbro carb but it came with a Bing 49. It needed a pump diaphragm, so I made the one from the Walbro kit work:). All I had to do was slot out the bolt holes. I'll order the proper kit soon.

I had to tap 2-3 stripped holes out to 6mm. Other than that, the saw is in great condition.

After running it to clean out the assembly lube, I pulled a compression check. 155 PSI hot and nearly 170 PSI cold!!! Can't beat that with a stick! I should have the 066 P&C next week so the conversion will come soon enough. It'll be an early 066 cylinder with no decomp.

I thought this saw was going to be a Red Light since it had the Digital sticker. But it has no red light. So I removed the sticker figuring the cover had been replaced. When I went to tune the saw it hit 13K and the tach went crazy and the saw wouldn't go any faster. It does have the limited ignition, just no light. I've got a coil for it though. I'm not sure if I'll need a flywheel or not. There's only one keyway cut in it.

I replaced the top model label. The new one doesn't have "electronic quickstop" on it. I'll paint the recoil housing and put a new metal Stihl plate on it next week. I'll also add an Elastostart handle. I'll probably repaint the air filter cover too.

I just wanted to get it back together to see how it runs stock and then do the 066 conversion. If I chose to leave it as an 064, I'd get a new piston and port the existing cylinder.

443339774_fiWSQ-M.jpg
443339709_idKQ6-M.jpg

443339725_3ew6J-M.jpg
443339832_BQ66b-M.jpg

443339929_tAwZ3-M.jpg
443339915_NwguT-M.jpg

If there's only one keyway in the flywheel and it has the CDIC coil, you'll need a new flywheel. When you get your flywheel off, verify if it is the 1122 400 1204.

Also, I'd be interested in finding out what you end up paying for the Bing 49 kit. Last one I ordered I had to go through Bing directly and it was $42 delivered. :cry:

If there's only one keyway in the flywheel and it has the CDIC coil, you'll need a new flywheel. When you get your flywheel off, verify if it is the 1122 400 1204.

Also, I'd be interested in finding out what you end up paying for the Bing 49 kit. Last one I ordered I had to go through Bing directly and it was $42 delivered. :cry:

I should have checked the PN on the flywheel while I had it off.

Maybe I should pick up a Walbro carb instead. The last 064 I worked on had a Walbro and seemed to have quicker throttle response. I haven't run this one much though.

The Bing is actually the best carburetor that ever came on any of those models. What happened was Stihl and Bing could not come to an agreement on the long-term support issues for those carbs and Bing basically told them to take a flyin' leap.

Yeah, there wasn't ever a Red-Light 064, that was only on the 066. It's basically the same CDIC module though without the LED circuit.

The Bing is actually the best carburetor that ever came on any of those models. What happened was Stihl and Bing could not come to an agreement on the long-term support issues for those carbs and Bing basically told them to take a flyin' leap.

Yeah, there wasn't ever a Red-Light 064, that was only on the 066. It's basically the same CDIC module though without the LED circuit.

Thanks for the info Jacob. You're always a wealth of knowledge and ready to share it. I do appreciate it.

I figured that was the case with the CDIC ignition. Never the less, removing the sticker was still appropriate. It won't be limited very long!

The 066-064 ignition PDF shows the CDIC coil taking a 1203 flywheel. It shows the same flywheel for the later non-limited coil. I'll just have to pull it off again and see which one it is.

The 066-064 ignition PDF shows the CDIC coil taking a 1203 flywheel. It shows the same flywheel for the later non-limited coil. I'll just have to pull it off again and see which one it is.

The difference being there is that the 1122 400 1203 flywheel has two keyways, and the 1122 400 1204 flywheel is the flywheel that has one keyway for the CDIC module. The 1203 flywheel will work with CDIC or Universal modules.

The difference being there is that the 1122 400 1203 flywheel has two keyways, and the 1122 400 1204 flywheel is the flywheel that has one keyway for the CDIC module. The 1203 flywheel will work with CDIC or Universal modules.

Then there's no need to take mine off to see the PN. It has one keyway. Anyone got a spare 1203 flywheel?

Nice work Brad, you must have sent that check fast and got the fastest and expensive shipping.:clap: I should have my saws here in a week or two.....

While it is nice to know that your saw isn't blown up, there isn't much sense in keeping it an 064 unless you care about the weight. If you were an avid firewood cutter, I would say keep it as an 064 and enjoy the superior power to weight ratio, but being the snellerizer, that saw is screaming for a full blown mod with the 066 topend.

You sure do have CAD buying parts for a saw you didn't even own yet.:dizzy: You gonna put the HD air filter on it? Looks strange without it.....just like early 044s.

Lastly, when putting my 064 together out of the 2 I bought, I had both the Walbro and Bing carbs to choose from...knowing Bing is one of the best Carb companies period, I bought a carb kit for it from my dealer (under 20 bucks) and threw it on. Couldn't get the thing to run quite right. Threw the Walbro on and the saw is pretty d@mn good now.

Back