US Stove Hotblast Glass Door Finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 1537G US Stove Hotblast furnace and thought it would be great to have a glass door. Well I did it:

I decided to put the window on the Lower Half of the door since it would give me the best exposure with the inner Smoke flap. We machined 3/4 Slots above the window and Also in the slider. You can shut off the airflow or slide it to the left to adjust the airflow. I am hoping since it will draw air down across the glass it would work as an airwash to keep the glass clean.

This only took a couple long nights to do but I can't thank my machinist/Fabricator/landlord (Tom Bulduc in CT) enough. I always get him roped in these projects but even he thought it was a heck on an improvement.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'll have some more pics later with a fire behind it. I am only guessing on the airwash. I looked at alot of similar designs. It shows the air going across and down the glass drawing the smoke away from the glass.

very nice man. when i went from heating with an insert to a woodstove i really missed the window. i like the window cuse you can see exactly how the fire is behaving and can alter your air intake or damper accordingly. ive gotten used to no window, but i would think i could get more from the stove if i had a window.

how big is the piece of glass and how much did it cost you if you dont mind?

Here is a picture of it up and running. It is great to be able to see the fire to adjust the air. No more guessing and keep opening the door. So far the upper air vents are great. Sliding them closed-open you can see the intensity of the fire grow quick. Reminds me of cooking on gas.

The Glass is about glass was 8" X 9.5" we lost about 3/8" on the edges cause of the frame. Total cost was about $35. Biggest Expense was the Pizza last night. The Brass was left over stock, the window came from Fairfield County Glass in CT, Pete the owner (Good Friend) had this left over cause a customer ordered to big a piece. The rest was just some hardware, random steel scrap and stove gaskets.

The Glass is about glass was 8" X 9.5" we lost about 3/8" on the edges cause of the frame. Total cost was about $35. Biggest Expense was the Pizza last night. The Brass was left over stock, the window came from Fairfield County Glass in CT, Pete the owner (Good Friend) had this left over cause a customer ordered to big a piece. The rest was just some hardware, random steel scrap and stove gaskets.

Very nice, Looks like its holding together just fine.

it looks real nice, i was looking at my stove door today. theres something mounted to the door. i dunno what it is, but i didnt get too into it. maybe itll be a summer project. its supposed to get real cold this week. i can hear the wife now what you took the stove apart and cut up the door...... lmao

I wouldn't mind doing a couple more but the problem is what could you actually charge that people would be willing to pay and make it worth it. The Glass alone if you buy it online is about $54. If you did an exchange program and for some reason you broke a door it would ruin any profit for the next few you did. I priced out 3/4 steel to make a whole new door and that was $75 for a 13X14" Piece.

Nice job, good to see it worked out. :clap: That patent business guys, from what I've seen & read is not so simple. I think you need really deep pockets with lots of $$$$. Especially something like this door. You are actually 'tampering' with Hotblasts product, which puts a ton of liability on you. Product liability insurance on a modified stove door would probably put you in the hole for more than you'd ever get back. Sorry, but todays sue-happy society, you gotta CYA.

Nice job, good to see it worked out. :clap: That patent business guys, from what I've seen & read is not so simple. I think you need really deep pockets with lots of $$$$. Especially something like this door. You are actually 'tampering' with Hotblasts product, which puts a ton of liability on you. Product liability insurance on a modified stove door would probably put you in the hole for more than you'd ever get back. Sorry, but todays sue-happy society, you gotta CYA.

You are right about the tampering, but what about the testing by a testing facility??? Like UL...just went through their manual on the Hot blast.
I saw no metion of it being tested to be safe and would an insurance company approve one and if there was a problem would the insurance cover....hmmmmmmmmm?

I haven't check back in a while. Has anyone else attempted to do the glass door in the Hotblast? I wouldn't own a stove without it now. It makes is a much better stove by being able to see exactly what it is doing. The glass stays pretty clean if you burn good hot dry wood. I have the habit of shoving whatever I can in it so some times it will get all sooted up.

Latest posts

Back