MS440 -> 460 Conversion and Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A big thank you goes out to Showrguy for providing me with this MS440. It came to me with a bad piston and no cylinder. Most everything else was there. I finally got it all apart tonight and everything cleaned up. I worked hard to get it painted tonight so that I could begin assembling it tomorrow.

The topend is going to be a new OEM Mahle 460 P&C. It will be ported and hopefully get a popup next week. My goal is to have this thing done by the GTG next Saturday. My 460 has always been my favorite saw. I can see this saw replacing it since it'll have the same power and less weight. We'll just have to see.

536836798_ZXZFf-M.jpg

536836917_eV3SU-M.jpg

536836837_cmtJt-M.jpg

All the small parts, screws, and everything are cleaned up ready to go. The painted parts were primered and painted with the same paint I put on my 048. It should be dry enough to work with tomorrow evening. This is no show paint job as this will be a work saw.

536837094_Pcfrs-M.jpg

536837119_qzw3w-M.jpg

536836998_mG8jn-M.jpg

536836968_E87ei-M.jpg

looks good

ill take your old 046 off your hands

I imagine it is. Shouldn't be much different than putting a 066 top end on a 064. Some have put 066BB on a 064 and 046BB on a 440.

Pease tell me that you are NOT going to just "imagine that it is", and port it without calculating what it is and how it is going to effect how you want to do the rest of your porting.

:givebeer:

Hope that crappy OEM Mahle 460 cylinder is up to the task... you might wanna bolt up a 385 jug on that since there are no flaws whatsoever in any Husqvarna cylinders... :laugh:

I don't know about you... but I am very concerned about the quality of those Stihl P&C's... :spam:

Gary

Hope that crappy OEM Mahle 460 cylinder is up to the task... you might wanna bolt up a 385 jug on that since there are no flaws whatsoever in any Husqvarna cylinders... :laugh:

I don't know about you... but I am very concerned about the quality of those Stihl P&C's... :spam:

Gary

I just hope it makes it through the break-in run! The thing's liable to explode in my hands, lol.

Yeah Brad you may have to use your router for this port job!:)

I do NOT port other people's saws.... i realize that this saw is to be his, but i would think he will do this the same as he would do one for a client.

That said, if i am paying to have my saw ported, than i would expect it to have the transfer timing, intake timing, exhaust timing all tuned together with crankcase volume, max rpms, desplacment and many other factors for optimum gains. NOT simply left to how things turn out

From what brad said it sounded like the crankcase volume was not part of his concerns. I was asking if this was true. I can widen ports with my router if i want, :censored:.... but tuning all these things in my saw is way over my head at his point. That would be the only reason i would actually pay someone to moddify a saw for me.

Last edited:
I do NOT port other people's saws.... i realize that this saw is to be his, but i would think he will do this the same as he would do one for a client.

That said, if i am paying to have my saw ported, than i would expect it to have the transfer timing, intake timing, exhaust timing all tuned together with crankcase volume, max rpms, desplacment and many other factors for optimum gains. NOT simply left to how things turn out

From what brad said it sounded like the crankcase volume was not part of his concerns. I was asking if this was true. I can widen ports with my router if i want, :censored:.... but tuning all these things in my saw is way over my head at his point. That would be the only reason i would actually pay someone to moddify a saw for me.

Just having a bit of fun with you, calm down.

I was just funning you because it sounded a lot like you were questioning Brad when you admit yourself that you don't have it all down yet. That's funny to me. That is all.

Easy, Tiger.

I tried once and simply got poked at for my porting job so i tried to be more clear.

I am not trying to ssay brad does not tune a saw. i was asking why he seemed to brush off the effects of case volume.

Not that i know the exact effects, but I do not port for pay....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back