Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, been thinking about this lately, what do y'all run in your equipment? I normally run Super Tech full synthetic, or if they're sold out/I forgot to buy some, I run Lucas semi synthetic. I'm wondering if I should switch to a mow name brand oil. Not sure if it matters, but my 2 stroke equipment consists of an Echo 2620 and PB9010T, a Shihl MS260 and Fs55, and a Redmax BCZ260T.
I'm most interested in Echo Red Armor, because of it being red (seems like an added safety for when your tired or distracted) but it's also the most expensive. Also on the table is Redmax full synthetic, Amsoil Saber, VP Racing full synthetic, or more Lucas semi synthetic (it's only semi synthetic, bit it is the cheapest). I'm open to any other brands too.
Thanks in advance!
Courage

I’m a fan of both Amsoil Saber and Echo Red Armor. I usually go with Saber because I can get it for $18 a quart after tax, while a pint of Red Armor is only some change less. So double the oil for basically the same price. I always run my mix at 40:1 with 90 octane ethanol free gas.

L8R,
Matt

Sometimes I run Saber but mostly the Stihl synthetic. My only complaint with the Stihl synthetic is that it doesn't have an obvious color like blue or red. I used to mix at 64:1 but while that is still plenty of oil in the mix it does cut your buffer, so to speak, and an unnoticed air leak could create a lean condition to the point of damage. These days I mix everything at 50:1 and have never had a problem, and I'm still waiting for my first engine failure despite may hours of use. I know a guy who always mixes Saber at 100:1 and his equipment doesn't fail but you won't catch me doing that. But neither will I mix less than 50:1, especially if I'm weed-whacking for many hours and just marinating in a 2-stroke exhaust cloud.

Back